-

Photo
- - - - -

Can a Steam Vacuum replace a regular vacuum

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 04:23 PM

I was lookliong at buying a steam vacuum cause my old vacuum recently died.  «i was looking at this hoover one. 

http://www.epinions....0_Steam_Cleaner 

Jusat curious if this is acceptable.  «Also is there any risks involving constant use of steam cleaning carpets. 
Thank »You

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted April 08 2010 - 06:30 AM

Am not familiar with the model, so I cannot absolutely swear to this, but I'm pretty sure the answer is, "NO" for the simply reason that a "steam vacuum" or "steam cleaner" isn't really a vacuum.  These devices inject hot water and cleaning solution into carpet and suck it back out again, but they are not designed to be used "dry" just to vacuum up dust and dirt. 

As a rule I'm not crazy about the idea of steam-cleaning carpet in any case.  The dirt tends to get pressed down through the backing, rather than removed, the residual moisture under the rug and in the padding invites mold as far as I'm concerned (despite anti-fungual agents in the cleaning fluid) and the heat and moisture can damage carpet fibers.  I'm much prefer to do a through "dry cleaning" of carpets with absorbant powers, cleansers, and a good long-handled stiff-bristle brush to work it through, followed by a couple of passes with a standard vacuum cleaner.  But that's just me.  YMMV and I'm sure you'll hear from many people who swear by steam-cleaning.

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Alf S

Alf S

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 02:03 PM

Uhhh no....a carpet shampooer ISN'T a vacuum.

Just buy a good Kenmore vacuum from Sears.

WOOSAH!.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted April 13 2010 - 02:13 AM

Actually, a steamer and a shampooer are two different things.

Unless your carpet consistently gets real dirty, steaming need only be done occasionally.  Plus, it's a lot of extra work to fill, move, and drain the water.  Get a vacuum for consistent use and consider getting a steamer (or a shampooer) for seasonal use.  

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted April 13 2010 - 04:57 AM

No.  The first step in using a rug shampoo machine like the one in the original link is to thoroughly dry-vac the area.

Having two dogs who occasionally have accidents, I swear by the home shampoo machine that I have from Bissell.  Very happy with it.  We don't just use it for spots, we also use it for regular carpet cleaning.

Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus