Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"TREME" (HBO) [trim-AY] Sunday 4-11-2010

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 12:30 PM

Can't believe there's not a thread on this.
OK.
New HBO series, starts Sunday night, creaters of "The Wire" are behind this.

Writers are:
Eric Overmyer  
David Simon  
David Mills

Set and filmed in New Orleans, the series starts 3 months after Katrina.

"Treme" is a neighborhood.

This will NOT be "The Wire" set in New Orleans.

Well, that would be pretty much all I needed to know!

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#2 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 04:34 AM

I'll be watching.  Even if it's not "The Wire" in New Orleans, their work on that show was so amazing, it's given them a life-time pass from me.

#3 of 28 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 02:54 PM

I'll be watching too and when the laser disc comes out I'll be first in line. 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#4 of 28 Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,907 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 04:10 AM

Thanks for the phonetic spelling of the title.  I wasn't sure how to pronounce it.  I am sure there has been no thread started on this because there really isn't anything to discuss until the show is aired.  I am definitely going to be watching this.  I will rejoin the thread after watching Sunday night's premier episode.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#5 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted April 10 2010 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty M 

Thanks for the phonetic spelling of the title.  I wasn't sure how to pronounce it.
It's actually "trem-eh," though some people do say "trim-eh."  John Boutté, a musician from New Orleans, has a song called "Tremé Song" (I believe it's actually the theme for the show, too) -- you can hear it here.

At any rate, it's french/cajun, so it's always open to varying pronunciations :)

#6 of 28 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Screenwriter

• 1,581 posts

Posted April 12 2010 - 03:28 PM

So, what did people think of it?

I was ho-hum about the first episode, I am not a musician, let alone Jazz musician in Louisiana so I don't know if I will care for it.  Will watch another episode or 2 and see if it grabs me.  So far I really don't care about anyone, or anything.  Not saying it's bad but this might not be my thing.  We'll see.
I have seen Larry David in action, and that man is an animal, and he has to be stopped.

#7 of 28 Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted April 13 2010 - 11:46 AM

Going in I had my doubts about its enjoyability, but they disappeared quickly. Great seeing Clarke Peters and Wendell Pierce back together again. I thought Kim Dickens seems quite believable running her restaurant, and Steve Zahn is at his best. Good stuff.

#8 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted April 13 2010 - 12:24 PM

I really liked it.  I thought the characters were all established well--at least for a pilot--and were interesting.  I liked how there was a cross-section of the 'classes,' as well as a cross-section of characters with varying water-levels.  My only beef was (like The Pacific) with HBO Canada, and how the centre channel is far too quiet.

#9 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted April 21 2010 - 03:14 AM

This may take a long while to grow on me.  I like the cast, I like the writing style.  But the storyline just isn't anything I find very interesting.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#10 of 28 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted April 29 2010 - 08:35 PM

Musically speaking the show has been intense, exciting and first rate.
Considering how much official cooperation is needed to film in a city, I'm pleasantly amazed that NO punches are being pulled about the behavior of the Police Men.
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#11 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted May 02 2010 - 05:30 PM

I'm really liking the show.  It's nice to watch well-written, well-acted drama, about interesting characters.  It doesn't hurt that the music is awesome, too.

#12 of 28 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 03 2010 - 12:44 PM

^ Same here. I love seeing TV shows and movies that focus on a world that I know nothing about and Treme fits that bill. The smaller roles, which have to be filled by actual people from New Orleans, add so much and make the show that much more real. I'm not a fan of jazz (not that I hate it but the most I know about it is that Joey Ramone covered What A Wonderful World) but the music really gives the show a flavor too. I can't wait to see where they go with this series.

#13 of 28 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR ">

I'm not a fan of jazz (not that I hate it but the most I know about it is that Joey Ramone covered What A Wonderful World) 
Thanks for my first big smile of the day. 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#14 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 04:50 AM

The latest episode delivered one of the funniest lines I've heard in a while: "I’ve been to Portland, Oregon. Nice folks. But you know they clap on the one and three?"   As a former-tubist, it had me literally laughing out loud :)

#15 of 28 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted May 10 2010 - 01:45 PM

What a genuine thrill to lay eyes on the Honorable Judge John A Gatling AKA Venus Flytrap AKA (and most importantly to this context)

Frank Parrish from the much loved and often mourned, "Frank's Place" (1987).

Yep, Tim Reid was in the cast last night.

I guess there's no way to avoid it, but, sometimes the playlist is a tad forced and obvious, the loser keyboard player who we all know is riding on the dress hem of his fiddle playing mate was singing "Junko Partner", just before he was outed for "scoring in Houston".

Getting back to Frank's Place, there were only 22 episodes, I know I'll own the TREME BOX SET one day, it would be so much cooler if it included the other great N'orlins series.

Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#16 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 03:55 PM

While this show definitely isn't getting the HTF love, it is incredibly well acted, and the characters are growing on me.  Some of the characters are REALLY well drawn.  This is not "up beat" TV viewing, but the pacing makes it a real delight to watch.  The music in this show is great, and the direction and cinematography are stunning.

trakt.tv

#17 of 28 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,564 posts

Posted June 07 2010 - 04:33 PM

I love the show.  There isn't much to discuss outside of the usual praise for virtually every aspect of the production.  Most of the things I can think of that would be interesting to talk about would violate a lot of the forum's rules on politics :(

John Goodman is especially great.

#18 of 28 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,434 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 08 2010 - 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by mattCR 
This is not "up beat" TV viewing...

Oddly enough, I find this show to be fairly upbeat but that's probably only because I was expecting something as bleak as The Wire was. Plus, the city does seem to rebounding in the last few episodes which gives things a more optimisitic feel than the early episodes had.

#19 of 28 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted June 19 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm honestly enjoying this one. Just a nice, slow drama setting its characters up.It doesn't just have to jump up and jam action, comedy and drama down our throats.It's going to take some time to learn the characters, their past and how they're trying to bebuild their futurel

Just having Khandi Alexander really classes it up. Most of what she does is pretty decent

Stan

#20 of 28 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts

Posted June 21 2010 - 12:55 AM

Khandi Alexander was incredible last night in her performance in the funeral march.  That was a great bit.  Such a really difficult piece of acting to go from mourning to moving on and recognizing the trial of it all was over.  Really great work there.

Good opening season, here's hoping it continues on.

trakt.tv

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users