What's new

UPA -7 Emotiva 7 Channel Amplifier / What Preamp / Prosessor Should I use with it ? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Hi,

I am looking at upgrading my old Sony AVR, I have decided to go with separates to replace the receiver with and a a few questions on what Pre Amp Processor to use.

As I stated in a prior post in the Beginers section that my wife watches alot of movies but I am more into lisenting to music. Had some good advise on maybe using an Emotiva Amp.

I got to looking around and found that for the money and my price range this is the way I will go.

Overall no one has any bad things to say about these amps but want to know if I should go with the XPA 2 To power my Paradigm Monitor 11s and future sub and what preamp should I use with it, should I stay with Emotiva preamp as well ?

I have a question, if I decide to upgrade to the UPA -7, should I pair it with a UMC-1 ? I am a liitle confused about what the diferences are by using a processor verses a preamplifier ?

My main concern is just good music and I have a budget of around $1600.00 to upgrade my reciever, also, what Paradigm sub do you think I should use with the Monitor 11s ?

My Basement Room size is 14 x 30 and will be adding carpet when the room is complete. All the walls are up and I have built my current Samsung 58" Plasma into the wall along with my Sony Reciever, 400 disc CD and DVD Player. I also have my PC hooked up to my plasma reciever and use it for I tunes.

Will I still get good sound in 2 channel mode by using the UPA-7 which I am leaning towards ?
I am wanting to purchase the Amp / Pre Amp / Prosessor and Sub within in about two weeks, the rest of the basement remodel will be done by then so want to know which way I should go ?

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
A processor modifies the incoming audio. e.g. it can decode several different types of digital audio formats, convert stereo into multichannel sound and apply matrixed audio manipulations. A preamp just controls the volume and possibly includes tone and balance controls.

The UMC-1 apparently still has significant firmware bugs and is not yet shipping in production quantities.

The closest competing pre/pro seems to be the Integra DHC 40.1 (made by Onkyo). Note that it includes Audyssey room coorrection, which the UMC-1 does not have. Given your budget limitations, though, you might want to consider a receiver which includes preamp outputs. Receivers tend to be more cost effective than pre/pros because of their larger manufacturing volume.

Sorry, I can only make a generic suggestion about your center speaker: get one from the same model line so that it is timbre matched to your front speakers.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Look at the Onkyo Pro 886 pre that Outlaw sells. It's essentially an Integra 9.9 pre in different clothes. I've had mine for several months.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Seldon

What bugs are you talking about with the UMC - 1 ? Says on thier web site that they are now in stock and are fulfilling preorders, says it has Emo- Q Automatic multi channel room correction and speaker setup, comes with mic.

Isnt this a form of Audyssey ?

I

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
They're still in the middle of "filling preorders". I don't know how far they've gotten on their list, but some people are annoyed that they have not yet received theirs.

EMO-Q is their own proprietary sound level equalizer which optimizes for a single listening/microphone position. Audyssey is proprietary to a different company. It has significantly more functionality and improves sound over a larger listening area, using multiple microphone positions. Audyssey is used by Onkyo, Denon, Marantz and maybe some others I don't recall. Pioneer, Harmon-Kardon and Yamaha each have their own proprietary EQ software. Sherwood and McIntosh use EQ firmware produced by other companies. Some manufacturers, like Rotel, don't provide any. I dunno what Sony, LG and Insignia use, if any.

One place people have been posting about UMC-1 problems is on the AVScience forum at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1218226

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I am happy with my Emotiva 2 x 125 amp that I use for rear centre. Is the Onkyo 886 too much money in this quest? BTW, I also have Monitor 11's which I run with a Rotel 993, 3 x 200, amp. 200 wpc is a goodly amount for your front 3. If the Rotel died, I'd sntrongly consider the 3 x 200 Emotiva.

Selden's advice to get a receiver with pre-out's is not a bad idea at all. I might do that and get the 3 x 200 and consider adding a pair of the 2 x 125's later, gradually. Last spring, Emotiva had a sale. They only had the Christmas one this year, so far. Once you assemble the amps, all options will be open....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A buddy of mine has the UMC-1 already; he was one of the first to receive it. He said with the current firmware, many of the known issues have been resolved. Emotiva is good about getting the updates out too. Their quality is good and their customer service is excellent, but they are small and they are independent so things take them longer and they aren't perfect. Those are the tradeoffs when going with an internet direct company. I am very pleased with my XPA-3.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
John

I have decided to go with the UMC-1 Processor and the UPA-7 Amp. I see that Emotiva is only acepting pre orders for the UMC-1 at this time. I have contacted them via e mail to find out when the order can be prosessed and shipped.

Only one last question, will I still need a pre amp ? Or will the processor take care of all my needs.

I would like to thank all of you for the help and information that all of you have given me.

Cant wait to add a sub to my Paradigms and power them with something good for once. I am sure that I will notice a big difference in clarity.

I currently have a 400 disc CD player but also thinking of buying a Reference Standard CD Player to go along with my growing system.

Looking at the ERC-1, looks like another good bargain.

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Charlie,

I'm not John, but...
The UMC-1 should work fine for listening to stereo music, if that's what you mean. It's a preamp/processor, which means it includes multi-channel surround-sound processing as well as the volume and tone controls that traditionally have been provided by stereo preamps.

FWIW, some people like to start with a high-quality stereo system and add surround sound capabilities to it later. You could do that while you wait for the UMC-1. Emotiva sells very good stereo preamps, too.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
Selden

You have been a big help, depending on the time frame on getting the UMC-1, your suggestion about getting a preamp could be something I would look into.
This would allow me to hook the amp up and just use 2 of the channels for Stereo. But thats another 400.00 for USP-1 for the Preamp, would like to get a sub and possibly a really good CD player, if I have to wait to long I may go this route.

Thanks Again

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would shop around for a used stereo preamp in that case. Audiogon would be the place to start. They can be found pretty cheap comparatively and since they don't have as much inside that can break and much less heat due to no amps, they tend to live long lives. Since it is temporary, this may be a good way to go.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
You have been given some really good advice in this thread.

I have a UMC-1 and have been quite pleased with it. I have had both receivers and pre-processors in my set up and in my system the pre-processors have made a big difference in sound quality. Especially when it comes to two channel stereo. The UMC-1 does a great job with two channel stereo, you will not be dissapointed.

As far as the Emo-Q is concerned, it does only give you one position for the mic to do the room calibration. My last receiver, the Marantz 5003 gave you 4 or 6 positions with Audyssey. Even though the Emo-Q is not working 100% correctly, it did a great job in my room. You need to remember that these room correction software is really just a starting point and you will need to tweek your system. The Emo-Q allows you to tweek it's results.

My Marantz was a great receiver but I noticed a difference between that and the UMC-1. The UMC-1 is not the end all in 2 channel stereo but it does a great job. It was not up to par with the tube mono block and tube preamp I had in my system at one time, but it does a great job. I think you will be very happy with the results.

We should be seeing the next set of updated software by the end of the week. I know if you go and read the comments on AVS you will read many, many negitive posts. The Emotiva UMC-1 is not 100% perfect but they are working on correcting it's shortcomings. sOne of the benifits of purchasing from a small company is the customer support. I have found that when I purchase gear from these type of companies, like Outlaw, SVS or Emotiva, you will receive outstanding customer service. That has been my experience.

Jeff Aguilar

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Originally Posted by Jeff Aguilar .....One of the benifits of purchasing from a small company is the customer support. I have found that when I purchase gear from these type of companies, like Outlaw, SVS or Emotiva, you will receive outstanding customer service. That has been my experience.
My UP-2 came with the wrong manual. I called 'em and I had the correct one 2 days later. I am close to their distribution point, Hendersonville (a suburb of Nashville). I'm in Knoxville about 175 miles away. The only bad thing I can say about Emotiva is I have to pay sales tax to order.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had a problem with my XPA-3 when it arrived and they replaced it. They shipped me a new one and paid for the return shipping of the one I had. That is great customer service.

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
I have emailed Emotiva asking when the UMC-1 will ship but have not recieved a response back yet, maybe I will contact them by phone later today to find out when they will start shipping this unit.

I am for now going to find a good used preamp to use if I can,

Cant wait to get my new gear, I will be like a little kid when I get the amp ! But wont do much good until I get a preamp or be able to hook it up somehow.

Can I hook the amp up to my reciever some how for meanwhile on use the amp as the ampkifier section? I have a old 10 year old Sony 935

Real Name
Charlie Etzel
I contacted Emotiva by phone and the UMC-1 and found that they will start shipping the units by the end of may. I looked and of a 2nd Audio out on my reciever so I think I will hook the amp to it for meanwhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks