What's new

Oppo BDP-83 hangs at 1:07 mark on "Sherlock Holmes" (1 Viewer)

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
Starting at the one hour, seven minute mark, the Blu-ray of "Sherlock Holmes" hung up. After a restart, it continued to hang at various points thereafter. The disk is new and clean. The disk played just fine on my wife's Panasonic DMP-BD60K. I put on Disk Three of Season One of "The Sopranos" after the disk hang and "The Sopranos" disk played without a hitch.

Any suggestions on why "Sherlock Holmes" wouldn't track on the Oppo but tracked well on the Panasonic.

Thanks to all in advance.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you should also contact oppo about it. they are a really good about doing firmware updates for their titles.

Jacob

pjsuarez

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick Suarez
I have the latest firmware. It still misbehaves. Is there anything else I should try? Thanks in advance.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
try this. I contacted oppo and got this reponse from them.

Jacob

With many films disabling BD-LIVE and Clearing the Persistent will resolve issues with discs not loading the Main Menu. This is true for Sherlock Holmes.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My SE has a problem playing Max Payne with the latest beta firmware. They've asked me to send them the disc for testing.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
John........ My BDP-83 isn't the SE model, but it doesn't have a problem playing Max Payne. I don't have the latest beta firmware either. I just have the latest released production firmware. You might want to rent the movie, to find out if you have a bad disc.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The disc works fine in my PS3. I just got back from Oppo's facility here and they confirmed the issue and will be looking into it. It played fine on my player with the 1224 firmware, but it does not with the new beta. The SE and the standard 83 have the same video decoder and use the same firmware, so it will occur in yours as well if you were to update it. We also tested it on the BD-80 with the current production firmware and it plays it fine.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Latest or latest beta? The new beta firmware came out a few weeks ago. The most recent production firmware is fine.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I'm pretty sure I have the latest beta because I distinctly remember having to make a CD-R of the update instead of just downloading it via ethernet connection.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
John............
Just for the fun of it, I'd still rent it and try it. Afterall, some players have always played discs better than others, for whatever reason. Also, I've found that the more expensive the player, the pickier it is. There were discs that my Denon 2200 wouldn't play, but my Pioneer 563a would play without a problem. The Denon cost four or five times more than the Pioneer.

I know you said it played before the FW update, but I'd still try it. Mine wouldn't play the first Iron Man I tried. I tried a different copy and it played except for a 3-4 sec. freeze in the middle of the movie. No visible scratches on either disc. I recently bought it, and it plays without a bit of problem. Different discs have their own little quirks. It was just an idea. Less than $5 to rent from BlockBuster, especially just for one night. I could be totally wrong in your situation, but thought it was worth a try.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ed, normally I would give that a try, but in this case we confirmed the same behavior on another player. They said it is definitely a decoder problem and that they can fix it.

Originally Posted by Southpaw

I'm pretty sure I have the latest beta because I distinctly remember having to make a CD-R of the update instead of just downloading it via ethernet connection.

Could you please verify what version you have in the setup menu? Thanks.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
John - I'm not in a position to check my firmware right now but after researching it a bit, it appears I don't have the latest beta. I just realized that they released a new one a week ago. I thought you were talking about the one that came out a couple months ago, which is the one I do have (it added the adjustable subtitle feature).
Sorry for adding any confusion.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
No problems for me on Sherlock Holmes. I have the Jan; 5 software and a modded BDP-83 (which doesn't impact video).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sherlock Holmes shouldn't be an issue; as mentioned earlier in the thread, resetting the player and clearing the internal memory should allow it to play.

I was having another issue with the SE the other day so I went back to the 1224 firmware last night and tested Max Payne - it played fine. (the other issue was unrelated to the firmware and is now fixed)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks