Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Minority Report

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,916 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 04:18 PM

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Jeff Robertson

Jeff Robertson

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 04:50 PM

Excellent review! Thanks. Glad to hear the video and audio came out alright on this.

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 03 2010 - 10:22 PM

Excellent review, Neil.

This film is another example of how Hollywod loves the premises of Phillip K. Dick stories, but does not trust the endings. Dick's stories are constucted with a sense of fatalism that is almost a mathematical necessity for the pieces of the plot and thematic concepts to resolve themselves. When filmmakers/screenwriters abandon thosed endings, they invariably replace them with something that doesn't "add up". Minority Report is no exception, but at least it only deals the plot a crippling blow rather than a fatal one like Screamers or Paycheck. The visuals and production design envisioning the ideas of the "futurists" consulted by Spielberg make this a worthwhile effort even if it does not deliver the ending that makes the most sense.

Ironically, the one Hollywood film I have seen that perfectly captures the signature Phillip K. Dick moment where the protaganist becomes a hero by accepting his helplessness in the face of fate was "Twelve Monkeys", which was not even an adaptation of a Dick story.
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 10:53 PM

A sigh of relief. Hurdle number one has been cleared. Now there's solid expectation that the rest of the Spielberg titles with pronounced grain will be treated properly. 

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 04 2010 - 01:06 AM

Very nice review!

You know, when I first saw this theatrically - wow, 8 years ago - I didn't like it.  I found it strange (in a bad way) and uneven, tonally - almost satirical at times - and I truly disliked the Scooby-Doo, explain-it-all-in-a-monologue ending.

However...

I keep revisiting this one, every few years or so, although I don't own it on DVD.

Perhaps I like all the production values you've nicely outlined above, or how the concept of "pre-crime" resonates now, all these years after 9/11, or perhaps I now embrace it more as a satire...in any case, I find myself renting MR every few years.

But I've always refrained from buying it, because, something about the DVD seemed off.  As solid a DVD as it was (is), it didn't hold a candle to the theatrical experience on my FP set-up.

Well, now it appears it's time for me to make amends, and embrace this in HD on Blu.  Looking forward to buying it this time around.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,829 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 04 2010 - 02:34 AM

Looking forward to picking this up. Thanks for the review, Neil!

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 04 2010 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the great review Neil!  Just preordered.

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Paul_Warren

Paul_Warren

Second Unit

• 416 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted April 04 2010 - 09:36 PM

Pre-ordered the Steelbook form hmv.co.uk a few weeks ago looking forward to it as it also contains a few artcards in the tin apparently (why on earth this is not the global release box format is stupid!). UK users like me have to wait until 17/05/10 though!!!

http://hmv.com/hmvwe...1;-1&sku=780668

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Douglas_H

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 97 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden 

Excellent review, Neil.

This film is another example of how Hollywod loves the premises of Phillip K. Dick stories, but does not trust the endings. Dick's stories are constucted with a sense of fatalism that is almost a mathematical necessity for the pieces of the plot and thematic concepts to resolve themselves. When filmmakers/screenwriters abandon thosed endings, they invariably replace them with something that doesn't "add up". Minority Report is no exception, but at least it only deals the plot a crippling blow rather than a fatal one like Screamers or Paycheck. The visuals and production design envisioning the ideas of the "futurists" consulted by Spielberg make this a worthwhile effort even if it does not deliver the ending that makes the most sense.

Ironically, the one Hollywood film I have seen that perfectly captures the signature Phillip K. Dick moment where the protaganist becomes a hero by accepting his helplessness in the face of fate was "Twelve Monkeys", which was not even an adaptation of a Dick story.
Ya hit the nail on the head Ken.
PKD came up with dozens of unique and fascinating stories that seem to be perfect for translation to film but most everyone who's made one is a big chicken and SS is no different. Plus they get cast with guys like Tom Cruise and Ben Affleck. Another travesty.
Oh well I'll rent Minority Report. Marvel at the PDK parts and roll my eyes at the SS parts. Really a shame.
Maybe some day Terry Gilliam, G. Del Toro or Alfonso Cuaron can get to make one.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,774 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 04:35 PM

Am I the only one who thinks
that the final act of this movie could very well be the Tom Cruise character's dream while he's in suspended animation?  They even set this possibility up with a line of dialogue as he's being put into the cryo chamber.
Vincent

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,774 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 04:46 PM

Also small technical errors in the review-  MINORITY REPORT was filmed in Super-35, not anamorphic, and Kodak Vision Premier 2393 is a print stock, not a negative stock that would have been used to shoot the movie.

Vincent

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 06 2010 - 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Vincent_P 

Am I the only one who thinks...

Vincent
Interesting.  Will keep that in mind for the Blu viewing.  Could it be that they re-jiggered it to avoid similarities with Cruise's Vanilla Sky (where Spielberg had a cameo), released about 6 months prior to MR?

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted April 06 2010 - 12:19 AM

Vincent, I've heard that theory before elsewhere. It's certainly a plausible interpretation. I wouldn't laugh it off as absurd. So, no, you're definitely not alone.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,916 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 02:03 AM

Vincent - I consulted a couple of sources, including (and don't laught) IMDB, where that info is pulled from, and also from EOFFT.com which lists the film as "Format: Technicolor 35mm Super 35 (anamorphic)"  - So you are right I pulled the Printed Film Format details rather than the Film Negative. Has been updated.

Also small technical errors in the review-  MINORITY REPORT was filmed in Super-35, not anamorphic, and Kodak Vision Premier 2393 is a print stock, not a negative stock that would have been used to shoot the movie.

Vincent

I also found this quote from SenseOfCinema.com's archives,:

We decided to put the film through a process called bleach bypass, which essentially takes all of the Technicolor out of your face and makes your face much more pale. What it does is take those happy, delightfully rosy skin tones away from people that are naturally that way and washes everything out. Then we shot some of the scenes on 800 ASA film stock which creates a kind of graininess that makes it feel more like an old film noir.
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 02:18 AM

Am I the only one who thinks

Not at all! This was a huge topic of discussion back when the film was released. E.g., here. I remain undecided, but I love the ambiguity.

Thanks for the review, Neil. It's great to have it in advance of street date.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 09:30 AM

Awesome. Sounds like they did it all right. I was mostly worried at skimping on HD bonus material. A/V-wise I was pretty certain Spielberg wouldn't let them drop the ball.

EDIT: Also what's the deal with the trailer(s)? The description is confusing.

Quote:
Trailers (HD): three versions of Minority Report’s trailer are available in superb HD.

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by BrettB 

Awesome. Sounds like they did it all right. I was mostly worried at skimping on HD bonus material. A/V-wise I was pretty certain Spielberg wouldn't let them drop the ball.

Doesn't it mean that they're the same trailers as on the original DVD, but now in HD?
Sounds like a great package, overall, to me. I'll have to import this one, though. Apparently the UK (and I presume other European countries as well) version has a digital copy as the second disk. Whether that means that the bonus features are gone entirely, or put on the first one (letting the PQ and AQ of the movie suffer) I'm still not sure, but better safe than sorry.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,916 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 02:36 AM

Brett - Not sure what's confusing, but there are three different trailers for MR (three versions) which are presented in HD.

Originally Posted by BrettB 

My DVD Collection

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,045 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 03:08 AM

Are there three different trailers, or three different versions of one basic trailer?

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 03:37 AM

Yeah, it was "3 versions" of "trailer", singular, that was confusing. I thought it might be the same trailer in 3 different languages or something.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow