-

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
92 replies to this topic

#1 of 93 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,068 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted April 03 2010 - 06:00 AM

http://static.hometh...tar-60-12.jpg">

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy

Directed By: Peter Jackson

Starring: Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom, John Rhys-Davies, Andy Serkis, Ian Holm

Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#2 of 93 EnricoE

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

• 516 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 06:25 AM

it should be noted, that they removed the preview trailer for the two towers at the end of the fellowship end credits. it wasn't included separately.

#3 of 93 Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit

• 283 posts
  • LocationGarland,Tx.

Posted April 03 2010 - 07:15 AM

Thanks for the taking the time to get this review out. I appreciate your honesty about the Fellowship bluray being subpar in the video quality. I was really disappointed to hear this but I hope the extended editions will be improved in PQ for Fellowship of the Ring.

#4 of 93 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,227 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 03 2010 - 07:55 AM

A herculean effort, Ken!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif  Thanks!

Nice avatar, too!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

I'll be waiting for the EEs...I think.  Unless, of course, I see some terrific deal on these...or find them used somewhere. I really preferred the EE versions of the films over the shorter, theatrical cuts.  I thought the extra material really helped explain certain parts of the story and made for a more cohesive story arch over the course of the three films. 

Your description of the audio will make it really hard to wait, though.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/blush.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 93 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,514 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 03 2010 - 08:28 AM

Ken,

Thanks for the review as it pretty much confirms my initial thoughts on the video presentation of this BRD release.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#6 of 93 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 10:19 AM

Good review Ken.....I really wasn't going to buy this release because of the PQ issue.  Would have waited for the Extended Cuts.  However, Future Shop in Canada made a pricing error at their website a couple of weeks ago (since corrected but orders being honored)....long story short, I'm getting my copy for around $23 Cdn all taxes included...for all 3 films on BD and digital copies for my ipod to boot, damn right I'm buying!

As for the Extended Cuts....I really do hope that the PQ will be corrected for that release when it comes.

Recently watched- The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Godzilla 3D, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Lost: Season 2, Dracula(1979), Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo

Currently watching- Planet Earth, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 3, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2

"Look, Mommy! Dinosaurs!"

#7 of 93 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted April 04 2010 - 01:19 AM

Thanks for the fine, thorough review, Ken.

#8 of 93 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,188 posts

Posted April 04 2010 - 02:55 AM

Thanks for the review!  It was much appreciated.   Like many here, I'm waiting on the EE's unless I can eventually find these at a spectacular sales price.   I purchased the theatrical releases of these movies back when they were originally released to DVD, and they were only viewed until their EE counterparts appeared.  When we view the LOTR films these days, we do so over a six day period utilizing the EE's.   It would therefore really be difficult at this point to go back to the "abridged" versions.  And, of course, the theatricals are still sitting there on the shelf for reference if needed ... 

But I *do* admit to being tempted by the new audio tracks ...

Joseph
---------------

#9 of 93 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,804 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 04 2010 - 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus View Post

Like many here, I'm waiting on the EE's unless I can eventually find these at a spectacular sales price. 

I'd be shocked if there wasn't a great deal before Christmas (and probably before that).

#10 of 93 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,171 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 05 2010 - 05:00 AM

I wsa going to buy this Blul-Ray set, instead of waiting for the EE releases, but I have to say after numorous online reviews have been posted, I have to say the image quality sounds lacking. I find it so funny Jackson and company and the powers that be could have sat around on a release for these films this long only to churn out mediocre transfers.

I will pass on this set... I will buy the animated Lord of the Rings, I hope it is a full 1080P transfer, without pesky digital issues. I can only hope for an animated release for WATERSHIP DOWN. I can no longer watch interlaced DVD copies of WATERSHIP any longer.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#11 of 93 mike caronia

mike caronia

Second Unit

• 414 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 05:07 AM

Nice review, thanks! :)
Will definitely hit these up on Netflix.
I'm firmly in the 'wait for EE' camp.
I think that a triple, then quadruple dip for these releases is not necessary.
If they had done what Disney did with the Toy Story BLUs...then maybe.
The studios know people have every version, the least they could do is throw a bone in the form of a coupon our way.

#12 of 93 Terry Hickey

Terry Hickey

Second Unit

• 394 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_McAlinden 

The image is considerably better than the previously available DVD of the Theatrical Cut, but not close to the best that the Blu-ray format has to offer.

I am one of the few who actually prefer the theatrical cuts over the extended cuts.  I agree with your critique of the video.  I don't regret my purchase of the trilogy on bluray, anyway.

#13 of 93 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 03:17 AM

Thank you Ken!

I plan to rent first, if I'm happy with it then I'll buy. If not, here's hoping the EE's are improved upon.

You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#14 of 93 AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 04:03 AM

Like many have said I'll will wait for the EE versions, however the audio on these BR has me tempted. The SDDVD EE are not terrible to watch in the mean time.
Thanks for the review Ken.

Al Kuenster

#15 of 93 Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,616 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 04:23 AM

Since the EEs are likely years away, I'm probably going to bite the bullet and take advantage of the $59.99 selling price at Best Buy. The $35 in rewardzone certificates I will be using will go a long way in soothing my pain if I find the DNR too offensive for my tastes...

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#16 of 93 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,441 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 07 2010 - 04:39 AM

I am going to attempt to rent these over the next couple of weekends. That should satisfy my LOTR urge for at least a year.  If they drop in price dramatically later (under $30 for the set), I may pick them up. Otherwise, I'll wait for the extended editions for a purchase.

#17 of 93 bugeyes

bugeyes

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 04:56 AM

I've already bought these. I watched Fellowship last night and to be honest the quality is fine. It's def. better than DVD quality. Another tidbit of info for those interested, If you purchase yours from walmart canada you get a replica ring with it. I collect so, for me, that's awesome. 

#18 of 93 Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 05:14 AM

im watching on a 1080p 42" lcd and the image looked really good to me. One time i saw something that was maybe digital noise, but i can't even remember what it was today. All i took from my 2 hour viewing ( i stopped as they escaped moria) is that the image looks tons better than the dvds we got, im noticing things i never saw before, and the soundscape is amazing. nazgul actually sounds like i remember in the theater and there is just tons of nice rumble thru out the movie.

another bonus, the disc restarts at the last place played on a cold start. no menu or chapter jumping ifyou turned your player off.

#19 of 93 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane D 

the soundscape is amazing. nazgul actually sounds like i remember in the theater and there is just tons of nice rumble thru out the movie.

Interesting considering what you heard in the theater was lower quality audio that what is on the DVD on of the theatrical cut. That released should have already given you a better audio experience than what you heard in the theater.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 93 Shane D

Shane D

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted April 07 2010 - 07:59 AM

i dont think dvds and home theaters (modest ones anyway) can come close to the loudness or the audio range of a theater. part of that nazgul scream is so loud and high pitched that its just not the same.