What's new

*** Official CLASH OF THE TITANS (2010) Review Thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Clash of the Titans" is dull. As a remake of the campier version from the 1980s, it doesn't quite have much of a point of view, all the characters just show up and do their bit, but nothing rings true in terms of motivations, and the script is really an outline to get from one set piece to the next one.

The film is about Greek gods who aren't quite getting the love from mankind they were accustomed to in the past, so Zeus (the big kahuna played by Liam Neeson), along with his brother Hades (Ralph Fiennes looking ridiculous in his wig-piece), comes up with a plan to nudge their subjects into paying the proper reverence and respect to the gods, but as things would happen in the past, Zeus had a dalliance with king Acrisius's wife, the by-product of such a union produced a demigod, Perseus. The king was not in a forgiving mood, and sentenced both his wife and the demigod to death. Perseus survives, is found by a fisherman, raised by the fisherman and his wife, and later would be caught in the middle of the war between man and the gods, where man basically gives the gods the middle finger, which was none too pleasing to the gods. Perseus is brought to Argos via a ship on its way back from battling Hades' flying creatures, tasked with smacking down man.

We are also introduced to Perseus's guiding presence, Io, who ends up serving as a Greek Wikipedia of legend and lore of the Greek gods, Io is such a clunky character/plot exposition device. The film just sputters along, never gaining much in momentum, and the characters don't really elicit any interest from the film's audience, and the pacing is pretty spotty. It's just a boring mess of a movie.

I give it 1.75 stars, or a grade of C-.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I disagree with Patrick to a point. I saw the 2-D version with my children and enjoyed it for what it was. There are some great characters around Perseus and the story has been changed from the original. The cinematography and action beats are excellent. This is not the best movie I've seen but it's nowhere near the worst. If you can buy the revenge plot rather than the love story, you'll enjoy it too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now the Official Review Thread for "Clash of the Titans". Please post all HTF member reviews in this thread.

Any other comments, links to other reviews, or discussion items will be deleted from this thread without warning!

If you need to discuss those type of issues then I have designated an
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Discussion Thread[/COLOR].

Crawdaddy

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I agree with Patrick. The movie also seemed "forced". No real character build anywhere. The final scene was very anti climactic. I was disappointed in this one. I did however like some of the homage they played to the previous version thou. But over all I was left dissatisfied with what I had just watched.

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I wasn't expecting very much, but I did get more than I expected. One of the areas where I was pleasantly surprised is that the comic relief is actually funny. There are some amazing visual sequences, such as the prologue and first creature battle. It's great to see Liam Neeson, even for a short time. I also like the character of Io. Clash of the Titans is a fun popcorn spectacle that delivers what it promises.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
What a turd! You'd think that a movie about Greek gods and monsters would have some excitement but I was bored throughout. Sam Worthington was terrible as Perseus, seemingly sleepwalking though the film. What a waste.

0 stars

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Saw it yesterday and loved it. It delivered everything I expected; action, great effects, hot women, and more action. I give it an 'A' for popcorn entertainment.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I saw it over the weekend and must say I expected much more. Not much character development, even the fighting and action scenes seemed backwards.

The longest and best action scene was with the scorpions which didnt really play a role in the major plotline.

The Hades and Cracken fight was all of what... 5 seconds?
Overall, entertaining but not one I would watch again. It just seems every recent fantasy movie has too high of a bar to reach due to the LOTR trilogy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks