Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
269 replies to this topic

#41 of 270 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted April 04 2010 - 11:59 PM

The Time Life sets of Get Smart and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. had a lot of great extras, which is one reason I said above that if TL is putting out SMDM, it is a good thing for the show. And let's face it, SMDM and BW are among the last highly anticipated shows on DVD, so getting it right should be a priority. (What's left? Batman? The Wonder Years?)

Also, regarding the Get Smart DVDs, when the individual seasons were eventually released, they were pretty inexpensive, but came without any of the extras that made the set so memorable. The UNCLE extras were included on two separate discs in the set, not in the seasons.

#42 of 270 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O View Post

Is Paul Brownstein producing this set?  Haven't heard much about him lately? 

Didn't he work on THE SMOTHERS BROTHERS dvds?

#43 of 270 OFFLINE   dhammer

dhammer

Second Unit

• 310 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 04:16 AM

The Time Life sets of Get Smart and The Man From U.N.C.L.E. had a lot of great extras, which is one reason I said above that if TL is putting out SMDM, it is a good thing for the show. And let's face it, SMDM and BW are among the last highly anticipated shows on DVD, so getting it right should be a priority. (What's left? Batman? The Wonder Years?)

Time Life did an awesome job with Man From Uncle and Get Smart. SMDM was one of the most iconic shows of the 1970's and to a lesser degree The Bionic Woman. I would love to see a whole series release.

I would love to see a Time Life Batman release. Can you imagine the possibilities for packaging and extras? Please let us not forget the Green Hornet.

#44 of 270 OFFLINE   JamesSmith

JamesSmith

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 06:10 AM

How about the Mad magazine parodies to both shows.

James

#45 of 270 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSmith 

James

I had thought about that, along with Cracked and the Charlton Comic series to be included in a "collectibles" section.  I added them to the list above, with Lee and Lindsay's TV Land Award appearances.  If a "collectibles" section was to be included, it could be very extensive, since so much stuff was released back in the '70s.  Kenner Toys would certainly deserve their own section.

#46 of 270 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSmith 

James
They would have to license that from Time Warner since they own Mad Magazine.

#47 of 270 OFFLINE   Jeff*H

Jeff*H

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted April 05 2010 - 10:14 AM

I still have my Steve Austin, Oscar Goldman and Maskatron dolls, along with Steve's space capsule/bionic repair station thingamajig.  Also recently dug up my SMDM View Master reels.  Sadly I never got the Bigfoot or Death Probe toys, maybe someday :)

I will be all in for the complete series of SMDM with T-L as long as it's within the $200 range or less.  I figure for 5 seasons, that's about $40 a season, which is what I pay for some of my other favorite shows.
Facebook members, be sure to visit my Hawaii Five-0 Celebration page:  http://www.facebook....113331868678710

#48 of 270 OFFLINE   Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 10:38 AM

The three "pilot" movies as you call them were really the first three episodes of the SMDM.  Lee Majors was doing double duty on "Owen Marshall, Counselor At Law" and then SMDM was on once a month on ABC on Saturdays for 90 minute episodes.  The decision was made to bump it up to a weekly show on Fridays and have Majors step down from "Owen Marshall."  This would be a good history lesson on the progression of the series because it had such a unique beginning.

#49 of 270 OFFLINE   Joseph Burns

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chenoweth View Post

The three "pilot" movies as you call them were really the first three episodes of the SMDM.  Lee Majors was doing double duty on "Owen Marshall, Counselor At Law" and then SMDM was on once a month on ABC on Saturdays for 90 minute episodes.  The decision was made to bump it up to a weekly show on Fridays and have Majors step down from "Owen Marshall."  This would be a good history lesson on the progression of the series because it had such a unique beginning.
Great info on the Owen Marshall angle. The first TV movie, The Six Million Dollar Man, aired as ABC's Wednesday Movie of the Week (the intro from TMotW with scenes from this would be a fantastic extra) on Wednesday, March 7, 1973.

For rebroadcast, it was moved to the Saturday Suspense Movie slot, which is where the other 2 movies aired the following Fall, a month apart. These two were as you described, a monthly series of 90 minute movies (75 without commercials) that were cancelled in favor of a weekly series in January BUT - the weekly series, Executive Produced by Harve Bennett and Silverton, wasn't simply a time bump. The weekly series was a second "reboot" of Six after Wine, Women and War itself rebooted from the original movie. In both cases, there were wholesale changes in story and personnel.

Details surrounding the creation of both shows are complex enough to warrant a documentary feature or two in the set. Hopefully TimeLife will see it that way. 

I support Matt's list of extras, and would add the above movie intros, and suggest that "next on" trailers be viewable in place before the tail credits as originally broadcast. 

"I didn't know you had antennae."

#50 of 270 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,170 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Burns 

BUT - the weekly series, Executive Produced by Harve Bennett and Silverton, wasn't simply a time bump. The weekly series was a second "reboot" of Six after Wine, Women and War itself rebooted from the original movie. In both cases, there were wholesale changes in story and personnel.
Exactly.   When I first saw the original movie I was dumbfounded to not simply see Darren McGavin as Steve's boss but he wasn't even playing a character named Oscar Goldman!       Rather than just recast Anderson in the same part, they went in a totally different direction and in effect altered the whole backstory starting with the second TV movie, which as I recall was produced by Glen Larson.

This wasn't the only time McGavin did the pilot only for an eventual series that he was not in.    He also originated the Gerald O'Laughlin role in the original pilot movie for "The Rookies" (and I suspect that might have been the reason for its lack of inclusion in the S1 release of that set by Sony)

#51 of 270 OFFLINE   JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

Second Unit

• 408 posts
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted April 05 2010 - 04:13 PM

This is awesome news! 6MDM and the Bionic Woman are among the last of the vintage shows I'm interested in seeing on DVD (now if only CBS could finish The Fugitive, Uni finish off Night Gallery and Warner release Maverick...). I have fond memories of watching these supremely cheesy genre shows in reruns and haven't seen them in years!

#52 of 270 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 07 2010 - 03:25 PM

I wish they would get the show on the road with releasing the bionic woman on DVD

#53 of 270 OFFLINE   Clay_E

Clay_E

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted April 08 2010 - 08:42 AM

In what way do the foregoing posts not virtually embody the concept of "getting the show on the road"?!?  Given the years of waiting, at this point it'd be harder to have the show much more "on the road" than this!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/rolleyes.gif

"Half of the time we're gone and we don't know where."

#54 of 270 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted April 08 2010 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay_E 

In what way do the foregoing posts not virtually embody the concept of "getting the show on the road"?!?  Given the years of waiting, at this point it'd be harder to have the show much more "on the road" than this! 
Well, Tomorrow, Universal could invent Star Trek matter transporter technology, and beam copies of the Bionic Woman DVDs directly to every person in the civilized world.

Otherwise, I think that just news of Bionic Woman and 6 Million Dollar Man DVDs being on the radar is a huge leap forward.

#55 of 270 OFFLINE   derosa

derosa

Supporting Actor

• 766 posts

Posted May 31 2010 - 03:50 AM

tvshowsondvd is linking to a story suggesting Season One dvd could be out in October

http://popwatch.ew.c...tchers-rejoice/

#56 of 270 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 13 2010 - 07:05 PM

Hi,

For what it's worth, Janice Whitby (Katy/Fembot #1) e-mailed me two weeks back and informed me that she was invited by the producers of the upcoming DVDs to appear in an on camera interview for a Bonus Featurette She will be discussing her experience portraying "Katy".

She will be heading to the Deluxe Digital Studios in Burbank this week to film the interview.

Sounds pretty official to me.

It's also posted on the news page at her website:

http://www.janicewhitby.com/id3.html

On the downside, they won't be paying her but it's nice to know that there will be other bonus features besides commentary from Ken Johnson.

Mark

#57 of 270 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts

Posted June 14 2010 - 04:56 PM

Since Universal trademarked the term, I've often wondered how the Austin Powers movies got away with using fembots by name.

#58 of 270 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 15 2010 - 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SparkyX 

Hi,

For what it's worth, Janice Whitby (Katy/Fembot #1) e-mailed me two weeks back and informed me that she was invited by the producers of the upcoming DVDs to appear in an on camera interview for a Bonus Featurette She will be discussing her experience portraying "Katy".

She will be heading to the Deluxe Digital Studios in Burbank this week to film the interview.

Sounds pretty official to me.

That's awesome! If yesterday were today, she could have built that appearance into Christina Hendricks-like fame!

The FemBots in Las Vegas actually scared me as a kid.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#59 of 270 OFFLINE   SparkyX

SparkyX

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Will_B 

The FemBots in Las Vegas actually scared me as a kid.

Actually I found Fembots in Las Vegas to be an awful sequel to the excellent "Kill Oscar" trilogy.

#60 of 270 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted June 16 2010 - 05:39 PM

I'm sure it was, but as a child, the bionic woman's choice of either facing the robot who was breaking into her hotel room, or jumping out the window (further than her bionics could take) was very scary!

I also enjoyed the Bionic Woman episode where she has to get deep inside a factory or laboratory to deactivate a doomsday device, but the crazy computer in charge of the factory has laid down booby-traps for her. The computer was a HAL9000 rip-off. But it was entertaining. Come to think of it, it was probably titled "The Doomsday Device".

It was a nice show of the time.

"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users