What's new

BIONIC WOMAN (original series) COMING TO DVD (Kenneth johnson announces) (1 Viewer)

bionicsuomi

Agent
Real Name
Alain A.
Kenenth Johnson, creator, writer, director and producer of the original BIONIC WOMAN announced today on his website the soon release of the hit series on DVD. He adds that he is recording commentaries for two episodes, THE GHOSTHUNTER and DOOMSDAY IS TOMORROW.

The long wait is over !!

Alain
Bionicsuomi

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tell me this same news again on April 2, and I'll believe it.

Nothing against you... I went and checked out Kenneth Johnson's site and exactly what you reported is there... but the news sure showed up on a bad day.

If this is soon to be released, I wonder... Universal or Shout!?

bionicsuomi

Agent
Real Name
Alain A.
It should be Universal... the show is going back on NBC Sci-fi in June... and nBC and universal are connected companies.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Have them all from overseas releases for a couple of years now. But thanks anyway. I'd rather Universal put out something like Owen Marshall or The Bold Ones. Something that hasn't already come out somewhere.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Well, one must assume that both Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man are free from legal limbo and will be coming to R1 DVD at last. While not among my most wanted titles, this will be great!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, I sure hope this is true (and also for SMDM) but yesterday's date makes me skeptical. Hopefully, Johnson (who has always been upfront about his shows on DVD) will clarify soon.

bionicsuomi

Agent
Real Name
Alain A.
Well Danny, I also have all the releases from Europe, Mexico and Asia....

But you will agree that the quality of the SMDM releases is really bad... This US/Canada release will have restorated versions... in addition, commentaries from the creator of BW.

That will give the series a much added and needed value, compared to the UK/France/Germany (etc.) released DVDs.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If this is true (I'm sure the Folks behind this Board and tvshowsondvd will verify it today), you can count me in on purchasing both series! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
Now if only something could be done about a certain "Superhero" Series! /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif

MBrousseau

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Brousseau
Originally Posted by bionicsuomi /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3676989
This US/Canada release will have restorated versions... in addition, commentaries from the creator of BW.
And hopefully a French language track! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Wow, wonderful news! Thanks for confirming the latest info, Dave!! I think I hear shouts from the Dallas, Texas area. /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif
Gary "even though I have some of the R2 releases, I'll double-dip for better transfers (which I'm sure these will have)" O.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Don't much like the sound of that "in partnership with Time-Life" though. I smell an exclusive.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Waa-Hoo! At last! This is really great news. Can't wait to get these in Region 1 sets and perhaps have the entire run of both series. Of course, I'll be double dipping on seasons 1 and 2 for both series but no big deal to get better transfers. I'm so excited about these.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice to get the first 3 SMDM movies as they originally ran instead of the horribly padded 2-part versions.

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
As much as I want this series on DVD I held out for an R1 release and finally it is getting closer. This is very exciting news which could only be made better if we see a complete series set for both shows released from the onset. Either way whether it be individual seasons on the entire series I'm in as soon as they are available.

njoberheim

Agent
Real Name
Rich
Originally Posted by Nebiroth /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677131
Don't much like the sound of that "in partnership with Time-Life" though. I smell an exclusive.
As excited as I am about these releases, I am a little concerned about this too. The last time I purchased a Time-Life exclusive, (The Odd Couple Season 1), they ended up not releasing the rest. I had to rebuy season 1 with the rest of the series once it became avail in retail.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Yeah, Christmas is coming early this year! I can now retire my R2 sets and cut-up Sci-Fi Channel dubs permanently. Hopefully we are getting new interviews with all the principal cast members on these sets (Lee Majors just turned up a couple weeks ago on an episode of "Community" and looks to be in good shape still).
It sounds like Universal is giving these episodes the same quality treatment that CBS-Paramount does with some of their more popular shows, plus lots of extras.

As for the episodes that were split between both series (i.e. Kill Oscar), I think they should be included complete on both sets, as originally aired. (In other words, have all 3 "Kill Oscar" parts on both sets--BW Season 2 set should have Kill Oscar Part 2 that aired on SMDM as a bonus episode, and SMDM Season 4 should have Kill Oscar Parts 1 and 3 from BW as extras on that set). That way both series will truly be complete.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by njoberheim /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677144
As excited as I am about these releases, I am a little concerned about this too. The last time I purchased a Time-Life exclusive, (The Odd Couple Season 1), they ended up not releasing the rest. I had to rebuy season 1 with the rest of the series once it became avail in retail.
I don't think we'll have anything to worry about regarding an incomplete release of the series, if TimeLife is involved. My guess is that they'd release them like Get Smart -- as a complete set. The major drawback is that the price will be higher. If complete series sets are all that is offered, fans who'd like to buy certain seasons -- or can't afford the sets -- would have to wait for the general retail releases. I purchased Get Smart from TimeLife when it was first released. I believe I paid $150 (discounted from the $200 SRP.) A few months later it was at Costco for $100. Individual seasons are readily available for about $15 each. I guess that's the price to pay (literally) for having to have it immediately.
The purpose of partnering with TimeLife -- and granting them an exclusive sales window -- is that TL shares in the mastering costs and pays for the upfront marketing. Their very experienced (and costly) marketing ability (TV & radio informercials/direct-mail catalogs/website, etc.) is a very valuable tool that benefits Universal when it comes time for them to release their own general retail versions. The marketplace will have already been flooded with advertising from TL, making the general consumer base aware of the product.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattHR /forum/thread/299474/bionic-woman-original-series-coming-to-dvd-kenneth-johnson-announces#post_3677156
I don't think we'll have anything to worry about regarding an incomplete release of the series, if TimeLife is involved. My guess is that they'd release them like Get Smart -- as a complete set. The major drawback is that the price will be higher. If complete series sets are all that is offered, fans who'd like to buy certain seasons -- or can't afford the sets -- would have to wait for the general retail releases. I purchased Get Smart from TimeLife when it was first released. I believe I paid $150 (discounted from the $200 SRP.) A few months later it was at Costco for $100. Individual seasons are readily available for about $15 each. I guess that's the price to pay (literally) for having to have it immediately.
The purpose of partnering with TimeLife -- and granting them an exclusive sales window -- is that TL shares in the mastering costs and pays for the upfront marketing. Their very experienced (and costly) marketing ability (TV & radio informercials/direct-mail catalogs/website, etc.) is a very valuable tool that benefits Universal when it comes time for them to release their own general retail versions. The marketplace will have already been flooded with advertising from TL, making the general consumer base aware of the product.
What you said makes sense. If price is a concern, one needs to be patient for the general release, which based on Get Smart will be a year or more after a Time/Life release. The individual season set releases of Get Smart were without the extras on the complete series set.
The $99.99 Costco price on Get Smart was more than a year after its Time/Life release.
It was even cheaper Christmas 2009. As long as its not announced as a limited edition, everyone should be able to get the sets at the price they are willing to pay with patience
Time/Life also had an exclusive on The Man From Uncle complete set. I don't think that series was ever released as season sets though the complete series is available now at retail.
Great news for fans of the shows. Also remember Time/Life usually has a 25% coupon in the fall. This is not a guarantee but it could happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks