-

Photo
- - - - -

Looking to upgrade AVR with separate components, need suggestions.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Charlieetzel127

Charlieetzel127

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 02:40 AM

HI

I am currently remodeling my basement and have decided before I finish that I would like to upgrade my current Sony AVR Reciever that is nopw 10 years old with a separate Amp, Pre Amp. I know way back that Onkyo had some really fine seppartes that had damping factors way over 120 dbs.

I was told in the past that this the higher the damping factor and current the better the amp, is something I should look for when buying amps other than total watts per channel.

I also have a 400 disc sony CD Player and a DVD player that is a couple of years old. My wife likes movies and having surround sound but I am more into just lisening to music using just two channels but have not listen to SACD ?

I have a pair of Paradigm Model 11 Monitors that are also 2 years old. Shitty Sony Sub that will also need replacement.

Was looking at Rotel and would like to keep price at around 3,000.00 for both a good amp and preamp. Any suggestions ?
Charlie

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Charlieetzel127

Charlieetzel127

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 02:47 AM

Forgot to add that I just purchased a Samsung 58" Plasma that I am very happy with just last year. Everyone told ne to buy LCD but I was told plasmas have better blacks and a more defined picture.

All my friends that told me to buy LCD that have seen my plasma have changed their minds about just how good the picture is.
Charlie

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 04:21 AM

Charlie,

Rotel makes fine equipment, but they do not (yet?) provide automated room equalization. The improvement in sound provided by Audyssey and its competitors can be quite noticable depending on your room and speakers. The Onkyo/Integera pre/pros do include it and have gotten quite good reviews. Many people seem to be pairing them with amps made by Emotiva.

High damping factor and current capacity are still things to look for. Quoted watts per channel can be quite misleading, depending on the measurement method. Checking the power supply rating is somewhat more reliable.

Personally,  I'm a Marantz fan, but the Marantz AV8003 pre/pro and companion MM8003 multichannel amp seem to be priced somewhat above your budget. (The Marantz pre/pro is one of the few which includes HDCD decoding.)

Selden

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Charlieetzel127

Charlieetzel127

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 06:45 AM

Seldon

Thanks for the information, does room equalization also help in two channel mode as well ? I have not looked at Marantz lateley, didnt they go out of buisness for awhile ? I know they used to have some very good equipment back in the day.

I have Paradigm Model 11 Monitors and want something of very high quality to power them. They sound very tinny in the upper range due to my old sony reciever which sucks in sound quality.

I think they will sound much better with a nice amp and preamp to power them.
Charlie

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 07:10 AM

Room equalization works for any number of channels. Essentially, a chirp is sent to each channel and correction curves are calculated using a calibrated microphone to produce a flat audio response at the listening position.

Marantz is now based in Japan and owned by DM Holdings, which also owns Denon. They produce both midrange and high-end audio equipment. Although the list price for the AV/MM 8003 pair is significantly higher, refurbished units might be close enough to your budget. (I kept my own cost down by buying only the pre/pro from a local AV store and still use my previous multichannel amp.) Their high-end stereo equipment is quite a bit more expensive.

Selden

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Charlieetzel127

Charlieetzel127

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 07:45 AM

Sounds like I will be checking out Marantz, may have to save a few more bucks, but I am tired of skimmping on just semi good equipment.

I thnik it will be a good idea to keep my Sony as the multi channel amp just for movies. Use the good stuff for Itunes, CDs.

Thanks for all the help, I will let you know what I end up buying, have to take a listen to alot of diferent amps before I buy.

Charlie

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 07:50 AM

I agree: auditioning is the best way to form an opinion. Have fun!

Selden

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   CB750

CB750

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 08:31 AM

Why not the best of both worlds, a 5.1 or 7.1 surround with quality front stage  that floats your boat for music listening and will improve you HUD video experience.   After replacing a pair of old Bose 901 series II with a 5.1 system I find that I really enjoy listening to two channel Cd's in 5.1.  I find the surround channels tend to provide the reflected live sound that the Bose were able to produce at high volumes.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 09:29 AM

Bill,

While a surround sound system can add a lot to musical enjoyment, Bose is not a company that I can recommend. There are many higher quality systems available at much lower prices. You don't actually mention what company made your surround speakers and AVR, though.

Hopefully Charlie will be auditioning speakers, too. The traditional rule of thumb has been to spend about twice as much on speakers as on electronics.

Selden

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Charlieetzel127

Charlieetzel127

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 12:03 AM

I did alot of lisenting to speakers and wound up with the paradigms, I really liked the signature series but at that time I did not have alot of money to spend at the time, but for the price they sounded great in comarison. I think once I get a good amp and preamplifier that they will sound even better. Like I said I need to get a good sub as well. The problem where I live is that I may need to travel to a couple of cities away to listen to the types of equipment I would like.
Charlie

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Charlieetzel127

Charlieetzel127

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 12:07 AM

What do you guys think of sacd ? I think this would be the way to listen music that has a separate channels and were recorded that way ?
Charlie