Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

SPHE Press Release: The Three Stooges Collection Volume Eight: 1955-1959

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,068 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 01:14 AM

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Brent S

Brent S

Second Unit

• 260 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 01:53 AM

Running time is incorrect... the 32 shorts are > 500 minutes.

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 03:55 AM

As listed here, there are Shemp films mixed in with Joe's, and the order is incorrect.  I recall HOOFS AND GOOFS being the first Joe Besser short, not GUNS A POPPIN'. Not that this is catastrophic or anything, but Is this the running order as listed from the packaging?

Disc 2

SHEMP Commotion on the Ocean

SHEMP For Crimin' Out Loud

JOE Guns A Poppin!

JOE Hoofs and Goofs

JOE Horsing Around

SHEMP Hot Stuff

JOE A Merry Mix-Up

JOE Muscle Up a Little Closer

SHEMP Rumpus in the Harem

SHEMP Scheming Schemers

JOE Space Ship Sappy

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 04:02 AM

I noted that too, but if you look they seem to be ordered alphabetically (For the most part!).  My guess is that this is purely the titles per disc and not necessarily the order they will appear in. (At Least I hope so)

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   David Deeb

David Deeb

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 09:11 AM

As always, very good news to see another collection.  Thanks Sony!!
Many feared the Joe Besser's would never get released.  

But I kept thinking this set will be a big seller.  There are TONS of Stooge fans clamoring for these 16 Besser films.  They are like "lost" episodes.
Hope the series continues with the 6 Joe DeRita features. 

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,673 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 02:51 AM

Good point about these being like lost episodes. I grew up watching the stooges on tv and had all the VHS releases. So when they released these complete sets I was surprised to find a couple Curly's I hadn't seen. There were about 10 Shemp's I had not seen and of the 16 Besser's I think I have only seen 4 or 5 of them so I'm looking forward to them. The Widscreen is a big plus as well.

Originally Posted by David Deeb 

Many feared the Joe Besser's would never get released.
But I kept thinking this set will be a big seller.  There are TONS of Stooge fans clamoring for these 16 Besser films.  They are like "lost" episodes.

...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 03:10 AM

Thank you Sony for releasing this volume.  And three discs this time around. :) "Hope the series continues with the 6 Joe DeRita features." Seconded.

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 945 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by David Deeb 

+1

Snow White and the Three Stooges is owned by Fox and is currently available on DVD, but Sony has the rights to the other 5.   Have Rocket Will Travel  is the only one that has never been released on DVD whatsoever in R1, so maybe if that one comes out next, we'll get some news on whether or not the other 4 will be re-released.  Of the currently released ones, Outlaws Is Coming is non-anamorphic.

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,287 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted May 18 2010 - 08:01 AM

The review copy arrived today. To clarify, the order of the shorts is not as indicated in the press release. This is the actual order: Disc 1 Fling in the Ring Of Cash and Hash Gypped in the Penthouse Bedlam in Paradise Stone Age Romeos Wham-Bam-Slam! Hot Ice Blunder Boys Husbands Beware Creeps Flagpole Jitters Disc 2 For Crimin' Out Loud Rumpus in the Harem Hot Stuff Scheming Schemers Commotion on the Ocean Hoofs and Goofs Muscle Up a Little Closer A Merry Mix-Up Space Ship Sappy Guns a Poppin! Horsing Around Disc 3 Rusty Romeos Outer Space Jitters Quiz Whizz Fifi Blows Her Top Pies and Guys Sweet and Hot Flying Saucer Daffy Oil's Well That Ends Well Triple Crossed Sappy Bullfighters I believe that this is the first DVD release for all of these shorts, unless some of them showed up in public domain issues. "Rumpus in the Harem" was included in the laser disc box set THE THREE STOOGES COMEDY COLLECTION. I also taped a few of them when American Movie Classics was airing the Stooges shorts ten years ago. I haven't had a chance to look at this new set yet, but I plan to at least preview it this evening.
Rich Gallagher

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted May 19 2010 - 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher 

The review copy arrived today. To clarify, the order of the shorts is not as indicated in the press release. This is the actual order:

They are in the proper order thankfully.

So,which ones are wdisecreen/letterboxed?

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 08:12 AM

It'd be great if Sony would also bring out The Captain Hates The Sea, Start Cheering, Time Out for Rhythm, and Rockin' in the Rockies.  For the Stooges completists, WB should bring out Turn Back the Clock, Fugitive Lovers, Hollywood Party, and Swing Parade of 1946.

Charles Hoyt

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,119 posts

Posted May 20 2010 - 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Charles H 

It'd be great if Sony would also bring out The Captain Hates The Sea, Start Cheering, Time Out for Rhythm, and Rockin' in the Rockies.  For the Stooges completists, WB should bring out Turn Back the Clock, Fugitive Lovers, Hollywood Party, and Swing Parade of 1946.

The Stooges are only in a couple of Scenes in "The Captain Hates The Sea" and "Star Cheering". However. they do make a more substantal apperance in "Time out for Rhythm" and "Rockin' in The Rockies".

As for the other titles, "Turn Back The Clock" and "Hollywood Party" are also only a couple of scenes, but un  "Fugitive Lovers" they have a longer apperance. "Swing Parade on 1946" is in the public domian and has had a few releases - I doubt WB would put it out beyond the archive.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,287 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted May 20 2010 - 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by DeWilson 

They are in the proper order thankfully.

So,which ones are wdisecreen/letterboxed?

So far, all are anamorphic widescreen.I'll get through all of them in the next day or two.

Rich Gallagher

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 09:00 AM

Attention!  Costco (or at least the one here in Huntsville) has broken the release date on Volume 8.  All eight volumes are available for $16.99 each.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted May 27 2010 - 01:35 AM

I got my copy!!! I went right into "Flying Saucer Daffy" (one of my all-time faves) and it looked fantastic! I also watched "Oils Well" and "Fifi Blows Her Top". Really a terrific set and such a great way to end the collection. I can't believe the entire series is out on dvd. I will definitely enjoy watching these. :)

#16 of 20 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,021 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted May 27 2010 - 04:20 AM

I got mine this morning. It's great to have every Stooge short on DVD. Great job, Sony!

#17 of 20 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,480 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 03 2010 - 06:53 AM

I hadn't bought any of the Stooges box sets, but these posts had me salivating and I'd just seen them at Costco, so I went in this morning to get some -- only to be disappointed to find them priced at $16.99 -- since Amazon has Volume 8 at the same price and the earlier sets at $15.99 each.  But I couldn't wait to get a couple to start enjoying right away, so I bought Vol. 8 and an earlier one to savor this evening.  Later, glancing over my receipt for everything I'd purchased, I was pleasantly shocked to find $4.00 taken off each of the Stooges sets.  So, $12.99 plus tax?  Sold!  Went right back over and completed the collection.  I need to read through those coupon books a little more carefully.

#18 of 20 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,470 posts

Posted June 03 2010 - 02:30 PM

This is a non-coupon special at Costco.  All 8 volumes are $12.99 thanks to "manufacturer rebates". I was so happy when they broke the street date for  Vol 8 but now I wish they wouldn't have b/c I would have saved 4 bucks :) At this price, one is able to own all 190 shorts for just over $100.  That is an absolute bargain given the care that has gone into these releases.  The Stooges aren't my favorite vintage comic team (L&H and A&C are ahead of them) but I've had a lot of fun watching these. Mike S - if you're reading this, mega kudos to your colleagues at Sony!
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,001 posts

Posted June 04 2010 - 12:46 AM

Just thought I'd mention that last night I was watching the first short, FLING IN THE RING, and I could tell that -- during the "old stock footage" from 1947's FRIGHT NIGHT -- the bottom of the screen has information cut out. Don't misunderstand me; I'm not complaing (these sets are great!) but it was just an observation. I'm guessing this is because the "new" 1950s footage was shot for 1.85, so when they had to incorporate the older 1947 stuff, some of the image would naturally be missing. Not saying it ruins the experience, but you can see it most noticeably in the early sequence where Shemp is sparring in the ring and gets knocked upside-down standing in the corner on his head (heh heh -- that's funny just writing it!). Shemp's head is not in the bottom of the frame, where it was in the 1.33 version. It's all good, just saying...

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 04 2010 - 01:54 AM

Joe, I can't believe you're complaining about this set. Just kidding.   That's really informative.  Thanks.  I really need to get volume eight today.  Walmart had better have it in stock.  Every Friday night (a night we refer to as 'family night' in our home), we watch at least two or three shorts before we move on to a longer feature film of some kind.  It would be wonderful to watch some from this newest set this evening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users