Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

widescreen please

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts

Posted March 28 2010 - 03:46 AM

I own a number of titles on dvd which do have wide-screen versions but for some reason the studios choose to give us the full frame version:

Universal soldier: the return
Sharky's machine
legionnaire
sudden death
sniper-green packaging.

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted March 29 2010 - 02:13 AM

Paul, with Blu-ray dominating the market (and sales hopefully ramping up) there is hope for all those lackluster DVDs that have sat around collecting dust and are in dire need of an upgrade. Warner's recent Frantic BD was a nice widescreen upgrade - I can't imagine any studio releasing anything full frame on Blu-ray these days. Here's my short-term wishlist:

The Journey of Natty Gann
Runaway Train
Death Becomes Her
Deep Rising (this one is a Disney title and should look awesome in hi-def)
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 05:19 AM

"Arthur"
"MacKenna's Gold"
"Picinc"
"Annie"

All these films need to be in widescreen. "MacKenna's Gold" is coming out on DVD again this srping  - but will it still be Pan and Scanned?

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 2,012 posts
  • LocationNew York City/San Lorenzo, PR

Posted March 29 2010 - 07:12 AM

Its 2010 - why would the studios put anything out pan & scan? Do studio executives not know that retailers only sell widescreen TVs? What am I going to do with a fullscreen DVD?
RIP Roberto Gomez Bolanos.

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,238 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Its 2010 - why would the studios put anything out pan & scan? Do studio executives not know that retailers only sell widescreen TVs?

It appears to me that MAR only verison of films being released on DVD has dramatically declined.

STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted March 30 2010 - 04:35 AM

If I sell you a pan and scan DVD today, I get to sell you a widescreen DVD later. And then hopefully a BluRay. Maybe a remastered-in-simulated-3D BluRay. No fair skipping steps!

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 02:38 PM

Maybe we'll finally get the proper 2.35:1 version of Matilda. I love the movie so much that I couldn't wait, so I bought the full frame version. But it really gets me that the clips that they showed in the behind the scenes stuff were great widescreen.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 06:32 PM

Matilda is available in the proper  2:35 in Region 2 - I went out of my way to buy it after the second release was still pan & scan. MacKenna's Gold was widescreen on a flipper disc when first released, I'm sure one can locate a copy. Nice job of MGM starting the credits on Sharkey's Machine in widescreen and then cutting to full frame when the actual movie started!

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted April 01 2010 - 01:27 AM

Not sure why SONY did it but TROOP BEVERLY HILLS and The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking was in pan/scan versions so I never did buy them.

also the thing with a lot of SONY titles like PICNIC mentioned above was that it was originally released on DVD in Widescreen. Newer pressings are Pan/Scan only. Not sure why that is? so odd. If you look hard enough you could find a WS PICNIC on DVD, it is always good to e-mail a seller on amazon and just verify if they can see on the back of the case if it contains the WS version or not.

Also I still don't get why UNIVERSAL did Death Becomes Her as pan/scan also.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#10 of 30 ONLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,586 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 01:20 PM

Journey Of Natty Gann is available from the UK at 2.35:1 PAL, region 2. I've listed a bunch of others in the "hot topics" link above.

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 03:41 AM

I remember when dvd first came about. It was for those who loved movies and wanted to see them the way the director intended[widescreen]. However people complained about the black bars on the top and bottom of the picture so the studios caved and full frame versions were released.

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Robin_B

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by kingfish 

I own a number of titles on dvd which do have wide-screen versions but for some reason the studios choose to give us the full frame version:

Universal soldier: the return
Sharky's machine
legionnaire
sudden death
sniper-green packaging.

Just watched my region 2 anamorphic widescreen copy of Sudden Death last week. Pretty good looking disc for it's age.

"Yeah but secreted from what?"

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   kingfish

kingfish

Screenwriter

• 1,062 posts

Posted April 04 2010 - 01:35 AM

A few more titles needing widescreen treatment:

the delta force.
delta force 2 & 3.
missing in action 2 & 3.
death wish 4.
operation delta force 2,3,4, and 5
iron eagle 1, 2, and 4.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,637 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 04 2010 - 02:36 AM

The two films I always mention when this topic comes up:

Deathtrap

The Witches

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Holer

Holer

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted April 04 2010 - 09:12 AM

Cowboy (Glenn Ford/Jack Lemmon)
The Shadow (Alec Baldwin)

Thanks for mentioning the Missing in Action movies - MIA 2 is one of the best Chuck Norris films ever and it's a crime that it has never had a proper release. 

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted April 04 2010 - 07:04 PM

Some other Disney oversights: Tall Tale (2:35) and Operation Dumbo Drop (2:35) and George Of The Jungle and Jungle 2 Jungle (1:85). UK Region 2 of Tall Tale is widescreen. MGM's Larger Than Life (1:85); Amazing Panda Adventure, Forever Young and Born To Be Wild ( all 1:85) - shame on you WB! Sony's Alaska (2:35). Universal's The Cure (1:85). They aren't Oscar winners but still mostly entertaining - and they should be OAR regardless. I'm sure there are more.

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,637 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 05 2010 - 08:37 AM

Disney's The Moon Spinners also needs the anamorphic widescreen treatment.

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian McHale

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor

• 514 posts

Posted April 06 2010 - 01:21 AM

"Return to Snowy River" is a beautifully filmed 2.35:1 movie, but the DVD is a pan 'n' scan abomination. At least with Blu-ray, there's a remote possibility they'll redo this and put out a proper widescreen release (though the p/s DVD might have sold so poorly they won't bother ever releasing it again).

Brian

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator

• 157 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brent Avery 

Matilda is available in the proper  2:35 in Region 2 - I went out of my way to buy it after the second release was still pan & scan. MacKenna's Gold was widescreen on a flipper disc when first released, I'm sure one can locate a copy. Nice job of MGM starting the credits on Sharkey's Machine in widescreen and then cutting to full frame when the actual movie started!

Not everyone can afford to get a region 2 capable player, can they ?

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted August 11 2010 - 12:34 PM

Not for nothing, but I got a Philips from Best Buy for 75 bucks that does PAL and can be region unlocked through the menus.  It didn't seem to be that difficult to aquire. The thing also has HDMI out and upconverts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users