What's new

widescreen please (1 Viewer)

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I own a number of titles on dvd which do have wide-screen versions but for some reason the studios choose to give us the full frame version:

Universal soldier: the return
Sharky's machine
legionnaire
sudden death
sniper-green packaging.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Paul, with Blu-ray dominating the market (and sales hopefully ramping up) there is hope for all those lackluster DVDs that have sat around collecting dust and are in dire need of an upgrade. Warner's recent Frantic BD was a nice widescreen upgrade - I can't imagine any studio releasing anything full frame on Blu-ray these days. Here's my short-term wishlist:

The Journey of Natty Gann
Runaway Train
Death Becomes Her
Deep Rising (this one is a Disney title and should look awesome in hi-def)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"Arthur"
"MacKenna's Gold"
"Picinc"
"Annie"

All these films need to be in widescreen. "MacKenna's Gold" is coming out on DVD again this srping - but will it still be Pan and Scanned?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Its 2010 - why would the studios put anything out pan & scan? Do studio executives not know that retailers only sell widescreen TVs? What am I going to do with a fullscreen DVD?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Its 2010 - why would the studios put anything out pan & scan? Do studio executives not know that retailers only sell widescreen TVs?
It appears to me that MAR only verison of films being released on DVD has dramatically declined.

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
If I sell you a pan and scan DVD today, I get to sell you a widescreen DVD later. And then hopefully a BluRay. Maybe a remastered-in-simulated-3D BluRay. No fair skipping steps!

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Maybe we'll finally get the proper 2.35:1 version of Matilda. I love the movie so much that I couldn't wait, so I bought the full frame version. But it really gets me that the clips that they showed in the behind the scenes stuff were great widescreen.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Matilda is available in the proper 2:35 in Region 2 - I went out of my way to buy it after the second release was still pan & scan. MacKenna's Gold was widescreen on a flipper disc when first released, I'm sure one can locate a copy. Nice job of MGM starting the credits on Sharkey's Machine in widescreen and then cutting to full frame when the actual movie started!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Not sure why SONY did it but TROOP BEVERLY HILLS and The New Adventures of Pippi Longstocking was in pan/scan versions so I never did buy them.

also the thing with a lot of SONY titles like PICNIC mentioned above was that it was originally released on DVD in Widescreen. Newer pressings are Pan/Scan only. Not sure why that is? so odd. If you look hard enough you could find a WS PICNIC on DVD, it is always good to e-mail a seller on amazon and just verify if they can see on the back of the case if it contains the WS version or not.

Also I still don't get why UNIVERSAL did Death Becomes Her as pan/scan also.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Journey Of Natty Gann is available from the UK at 2.35:1 PAL, region 2. I've listed a bunch of others in the "hot topics" link above.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
I remember when dvd first came about. It was for those who loved movies and wanted to see them the way the director intended[widescreen]. However people complained about the black bars on the top and bottom of the picture so the studios caved and full frame versions were released.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by kingfish

I own a number of titles on dvd which do have wide-screen versions but for some reason the studios choose to give us the full frame version:

Universal soldier: the return
Sharky's machine
legionnaire
sudden death
sniper-green packaging.
Just watched my region 2 anamorphic widescreen copy of Sudden Death last week. Pretty good looking disc for it's age.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
A few more titles needing widescreen treatment:

the delta force.
delta force 2 & 3.
missing in action 2 & 3.
death wish 4.
operation delta force 2,3,4, and 5
iron eagle 1, 2, and 4.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Cowboy (Glenn Ford/Jack Lemmon)
The Shadow (Alec Baldwin)

Thanks for mentioning the Missing in Action movies - MIA 2 is one of the best Chuck Norris films ever and it's a crime that it has never had a proper release.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Some other Disney oversights: Tall Tale (2:35) and Operation Dumbo Drop (2:35) and George Of The Jungle and Jungle 2 Jungle (1:85). UK Region 2 of Tall Tale is widescreen. MGM's Larger Than Life (1:85); Amazing Panda Adventure, Forever Young and Born To Be Wild ( all 1:85) - shame on you WB! Sony's Alaska (2:35). Universal's The Cure (1:85). They aren't Oscar winners but still mostly entertaining - and they should be OAR regardless. I'm sure there are more.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
"Return to Snowy River" is a beautifully filmed 2.35:1 movie, but the DVD is a pan 'n' scan abomination. At least with Blu-ray, there's a remote possibility they'll redo this and put out a proper widescreen release (though the p/s DVD might have sold so poorly they won't bother ever releasing it again).

Spottedfeather

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Brent Avery

Matilda is available in the proper 2:35 in Region 2 - I went out of my way to buy it after the second release was still pan & scan. MacKenna's Gold was widescreen on a flipper disc when first released, I'm sure one can locate a copy. Nice job of MGM starting the credits on Sharkey's Machine in widescreen and then cutting to full frame when the actual movie started!

Not everyone can afford to get a region 2 capable player, can they ?

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Not for nothing, but I got a Philips from Best Buy for 75 bucks that does PAL and can be region unlocked through the menus. It didn't seem to be that difficult to aquire. The thing also has HDMI out and upconverts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks