Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

OTA DTV direct to projector, audio to reciever, can this be done easily? economically?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   jacobgivand

jacobgivand

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 02:40 AM

I'd like to bypass a tv completely and watch ota dtv on a projector. I'd like the video signal to go to the projector and the audio to a receiver. Is there an effective and economical way to do this? What is needed? I'd love to stay under $800 - $1000 and currently have an older Kenwood receiver and Panasonic DVD player, both without HDMI. I just finished my basement and have run electrical, HDMI and component cables in the ceiling. I'm open to replacing anything but ideally would like to use what I can. Are there any dvd players that also have a tuner and could do this? Please advise as I'm very inexperienced with this sort of thing. Thanks.

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 27 2010 - 03:15 AM

I think a Digital OTA receiver/tuner like this one would meet your needs.  Run the antenna to the unit, the digital coax to your receiver and component video out to the projector.  And for a lot less than your budget.  And no, as far as I no one makes a DVD player with a tuner built in.  (Unless you count the DVD/VCR combo units. and those won't handle an HD signal.)  

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   jacobgivand

jacobgivand

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get both the tuner and projector for the $800-$1000. What do you think about a projector to pair with it.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 27 2010 - 10:27 AM

Sorry.  Thought you were looking to connect an OTA antenna to a projector you already had.  I've never personally owned a projector, so that's a world I really know nothing about.  Now that you have your tuner (or at least know that such things are out there) you might want to post a thread in the Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens) forum.  That's where the projector experts hang out. 

Regards,

Joe

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   jacobgivand

jacobgivand

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 28 2010 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the advice. No need to be sorry. I was very glad to hear about the tuners.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 03:56 AM

Projector: Optoma HD66

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD66-3D-Ready-Theater-Projector/dp/B002ZWU33U

http://www.projector...ctor_review.htm

DTVPal DVR (I have this and it works great):

http://www.kmart.com...dtvpal&sLevel=0

From the DVR, run HDMI to the projector and an optical or RCA cable to the receiver.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   EyeFi

EyeFi

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 03:21 PM

Don't forget a screen for the projector. also a projector mount and the installation may be hard to grab all that stuff for under 1k. I agree with the Optoma recommendation for a projector.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   jacobgivand

jacobgivand

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 07:45 AM

Thanks to all for the info. I've got some stuff to research now. Thanks!

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 31 2010 - 12:56 AM

A DIY screen is great for a budget.  I built a 103" 16x9 screen for $75.  It only took a weekend and most of that was waiting for paint on the border to dry.

If you are thinking about the DVR mentioned above, Google dtvpal dvr forum and choose the first link.  If I didn't already have three HD DVRs, I'd think about this one for my OTA sports recording.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   scweb

scweb

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 31 2010 - 07:02 PM

Get your Business Online - All In One Package Website

Get your Website Design, Hosting and Domain all in one.

10 pages website, Free Domain Name, 100,000MB Database, 250 GB Monthly Traffic,

5 Domains hosted, 1000 Email accounts, 20 FTP Accounts, 20 MySQL Database.