Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Bob Hope - Thanks for the Memories Collection from Universal 6/8/10

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 818 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 08:05 AM

From Classic Flix

WHAT:
WHEN:
STUDIO:
PRICE:
TITLES: 

Bob Hope - Thanks for the Memories Collection
June 8th
Universal
Retail $39.98, Our: $30.99
Thanks for the Memory  (1938), The Cat and the Canary (1939), The Ghost Breakers (1940), Nothing But the Truth (1941), Road to Morocco (1942), The Paleface (1948)

DISC 1:

Thanks for the Memory (1938, 75 min.)

The Cat and the Canary (1939, 79 min.)

BONUS FEATURE:

• Theatrical Trailers
DISC 2:

The Ghost Breakers (1940, 85 min.)

Nothing But the Truth (1941, 91 min.)

BONUS FEATURES:

• Entertaining the Troops
  • Command Performance 1944
  • Hollywood Victory Caravan
  • Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer
DISC 3:

Road to Morocco (1942, 82 min.)

The Paleface (1948, 91 min.)

BONUS FEATURES:

• Command Performance 1945
  • The "Buttons and Bows" Sing-Along
  • Photo Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer

"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#2 of 31 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 26 2010 - 08:11 AM

THE CAT AND THE CANARY and will buy the entire set for that one!

#3 of 31 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 08:27 AM

I suppose I'll bite on this but geez that third disc is a complete waste.  I mean, if you're into Bob Hope, you already have the Road movies and Paleface covered by now.

#4 of 31 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 10,629 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 26 2010 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnitoil 

I suppose I'll bite on this but geez that third disc is a complete waste.  I mean, if you're into Bob Hope, you already have the Road movies and Paleface covered by now.
Absolutely! That's a major letdown though I was pleased to see The Cat and the Canary.

#5 of 31 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 3,966 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morgan 

THE CAT AND THE CANARY and will buy the entire set for that one!
Yeah, and this announcement came literally within 24 hours of my ordering a PAL edition from the UK! I'd given up on Universal. Geesum!

Quote:

#6 of 31 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post

Yeah, and this announcement came literally within 24 hours of my ordering a PAL edition from the UK! I'd given up on Universal. Geesum!

And even worse, the UK edition is a pretty bad transfer.

Very frustrating that half the set has seen a release already but I'll still pick it if I find a good price.

#7 of 31 KathyBeck

KathyBeck

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 03:00 PM

Great news about Cat And The Canary!

#8 of 31 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 03:02 AM

NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH is also a great find.  I would love to get a copy of LET'S FACE IT (Legal entanglements with the Cole Porter estate?  Even though they pretty much scrubbed the original score).  Also SOME LIKE IT HOT (aka RHYTHM ROMANCE)  with Gene Krupa and "The Lady's in Love With You" needs to be DVDed (It came out on VHS).  With Olive films bringing out MY FAVORITE SPY and OFF LIMITS, I hope that priority would be given to bringing out BEAU JAMES, THAT CERTAIN FEELING, THE IRON PETTICOAT, BACHELOR IN PARADISE, CALL ME BWANA, and VARIETY GIRL for us Bob Hope completists.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 31 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 27 2010 - 04:13 AM

I guess I will just give away the third disc to a friend.  I already have the Road Collection and what Hope fan does not have Paleface.  I think this is the third release of Paleface.  Once as a stand alone, the as a double feature with Sorrowful Jones.  I got the stand alone then gave it away when the double feature came along.

This will not deter me from purchasing the collection if nothing except for The Cat and The Canary and lines like:

Cicily: Don't big empty houses scare you?
Wally Campbell: Not me, I used to be in vaudeville.

Cicily: Do you believe people come back from the dead?
Wally Campbell: You mean like Republicans?
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 31 RobDaniels

RobDaniels

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 11:02 AM

I was hoping Universal would put out a decent version of My Favorite Brunette.  Is there a good public domain copy out there?

#11 of 31 Sammy-G

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 11:37 AM

ah, this is so exciting!  It'll be my first classic DVD purchase in a couple of years.  Not only more Bob Hope, but Paulette Goddard!  Thanks for sharing the news.

Most-wanted R1s: The Patsy (1927); Personal Property (1937); Ever Since Eve (1937); Hold Back the Dawn (1941); Two-Faced Woman (1941); Kitty (1945); Yolanda and the Thief (1945); Black Magic (1949); Rapture (1965)

#12 of 31 mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDaniels 

I was hoping Universal would put out a decent version of My Favorite Brunette.  Is there a good public domain copy out there?

As a matter of fact, there is.  There was a Bob Hope: Legends of Hollywood collection put out by BCI in the summer of '08 that had a wonderful looking copy.  The claim is that My Favorite Brunette had been remastered and I can't say that they are wrong.  Easily the best I've ever seen it.  The same goes for the other three titles that are billed as being remastered, Road to Rio, Road to Bali and Son of Paleface.  It's getting pricey now on Amazon marketplace, but the link should give you an idea of what to look for.  Unfortunately, the titles that weren't remastered look just like the other public domain copies floating about.  Still, four clean copies are nothing to sneeze at.

#13 of 31 John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 659 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted March 27 2010 - 12:48 PM

I believe these four Hope films reverted to Hope Enterprises, so Universal and Paramount don't own them. For some reason, Hope didn't renew copyrights and they fell into PD. I believe they were released in HD sometime back and this package includes those updated transfers, and they do look better than I have ever seen them. They are supposed to come out on BluRay, but I guess that depends how well they did on HD. Didn't they offer those four restored films without the big box set with all the lousy transfers of the other films? I got the big box set and promptly put these four on DVD-R. 

#14 of 31 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDaniels 

I got the HD DVD of My Favorite Brunette. Nice to see it in HD. and its by far the best print I've seen of the movie, even it does have some dust specs on it.

Doug

"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#15 of 31 Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 621 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 04:44 AM

I have always wanted to see Thanks for the Memory  (1938), The Cat and the Canary (1939) and Nothing But the Truth (1941), so that makes this set a must-buy to me.

#16 of 31 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 29 2010 - 12:04 PM

I wish that SOME LIKE IT HOT (Rhythm Romance) was included rather than THE PALEFACE or ROAD TO MOROCCO.  It appears that this is one of the last if not the last Hope film that Universal owns that is not on DVD.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#17 of 31 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 01:38 PM

LET'S FACE IT with Betty Hutton and Eve Arden (a truncated adaptation of a Cole Porter show that starred Danny Kaye) was never released on homevideo and is very rare.  It would also be a great addition to the Hope collection.  Hope also has an an extended cameo in VARIETY GIRL, an all-star Paramount a la STAR SPANGLED RHYTHM.
Charles Hoyt

#18 of 31 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,510 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 29 2010 - 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H 

LET'S FACE IT with Betty Hutton and Eve Arden (a truncated adaptation of a Cole Porter show that starred Danny Kaye) was never released on homevideo and is very rare.  It would also be a great addition to the Hope collection.  Hope also has an an extended cameo in VARIETY GIRL, an all-star Paramount a la STAR SPANGLED RHYTHM.
There you go - add Let's Face It and Some Like It Hot instead of Paleface and Road to Morocco.  A perfect set.

#19 of 31 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Morgan 

I believe these four Hope films reverted to Hope Enterprises, so Universal and Paramount don't own them. For some reason, Hope didn't renew copyrights and they fell into PD. I believe they were released in HD sometime back and this package includes those updated transfers, and they do look better than I have ever seen them. They are supposed to come out on BluRay, but I guess that depends how well they did on HD. Didn't they offer those four restored films without the big box set with all the lousy transfers of the other films? I got the big box set and promptly put these four on DVD-R. 

Here is what I understood about the films.  Hope Enterprises initially licensed the ten films to Columbia Pictures, which put them out on VHS and in TV syndication.  Later on, Columbia started a short-lived syndication outfit with Lexington Broadcast Systems called "Colex" and part of the deal involved relicensing the movies to BCI's budget label predecessor, Brentwood.  LBS went out of business shortly afterward, and after a few acquisitions their assets are now owned by Fremantle Media, who also made a separate deal with BCI for things like the Mark Goodson game shows ("THE MATCH GAME," "THE PRICE IS RIGHT"), so it must have been a long-term license.

Now I don't know what this means for the films, whether they fully belong to Fremantle, or Sony Pictures, or if everything will eventually go back to Hope's heirs.  I guess for now everybody just wants to maintain the status quo.

"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#20 of 31 Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,408 posts

Posted April 01 2010 - 05:24 AM

Quote:

Probably done to include more famous films to a box set even though they have been previously released several times. People might not buy a set of films without a title they heard of. Also since most sales of classic films on sold on line (RIP Tower Records). A search for the Paleface or the road film might bring this box set as one of the choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users