Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for receiver for first-time purchaser?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   chumkey

chumkey

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 06:02 AM

I'm new to home theatre equipment, and I just moved into a condo with surround sound built in.  There are 2 rear speakers overhead opposite the tv, and 3 speakers in the wall surrounding the tv.  I know a little about what type of receiver I'm looking for, but I was curious if anyone had any good suggestions for which brand/model to go with.  I'm not looking to spend a lot, and it will be connected with a 42" 1080p Sharp, a standard dvd player, fios, and a Wii.  I definitely don't need anything too fancy.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 04:27 AM

Best bang for the buck (IMHO) are the Onkyos.   Pick a budget and buy the model that fits.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,710 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted March 29 2010 - 06:58 AM

How can we help you without a budget? How many HDMI inputs? 5.1 or 7.1?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,304 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 06:48 PM

-Depends on your budget.
-How many HDMI's inputs do you need/want
-Are you willing to make certain consesions if you choose a low end model?
-5.1 or 7.1 channels
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   chumkey

chumkey

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 01:37 AM

I appreciate the comments.  Like I said, I'm new to this forum so to some extent I'm still learning what questions to ask...

Budget -  I'd like to stay in the $500 or less range if possible.  Once I get a better idea of what equipment would be most suitable for my setup, I might be willing to go higher if it makes sense.

5.1 - we already have the 5 speakers set up in the walls.  I don't see us getting 2 more any time soon.  Seems like 5.1 should be fine.  That said, I'll need to pick up a sub as well.

HDMI - Need at least 2, and a 3rd would be nice for a potential extra component down the road.

I'm definitely willing to make concessions for lower end models.  This will be basically my first home theater setup, so I don't know if I would really miss or notice some of the things that more experienced purchasers would look for and need.  Later down the road, I'll have a much better idea of what I'll be looking for in an upgrade.

Thanks again for your help!

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 04:33 AM

Onkyo 607 - www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR607-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B001VEI2KO/ref=sr_1_1

Best bang for the buck IMHO.  4 HDMI, HD audio for Blu-ray, good power, great Audyssey setup.  Note it is 7.1, but every 7.1 is reconfigurable to 5.1.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,304 posts

Posted July 26 2010 - 07:29 AM

Hey Chumkey,

Sorry I have not been around HTF much and especially since I had problems with a former roommate.  Did you end up with a receiver?  If so what did you get?  Or are you still looking around?

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!