Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

torn between which reciever to buy...please help

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Bouncer123

Bouncer123

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 05:50 AM

I might be buying a new reciever this weekend and I am not sure which one I one I should get.  I am debating between a denon AVR-3310CI and a pioneer sc-25 elite.  Both for the most part offer the same features...I was going to buy the sc-25 but then I read a thread somewhere that the pioneer does not process digital video.  What does that mean exactly?... that it won't process digital video and how will that affect me?  I am shocked that a 1200.00 reciever wouldn't offer that.  My setup has everything run through hdmi into the reciever..nothing is plugged into the tv,it all gets processed by my avr.  Is the sc-25 going to give me what I need?  I mostly use my setup for blu ray,gaming and hd-dvr.  Let me know what you guys would pick and why.  Thanks

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   AudioENG

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 07:27 AM

Can you provide the reference you saw to the pioneer not processing digital video.  If you look at the owner's manual there is a better description of what signals are converted and which are not.  Page 28.

http://www.pioneerel...uctions0421.pdf

I'm assuming these are very comparable receivers.  Did you get to play around with either one to see what the navigation is like?  Sounds strange to mention a non technical detail but when receivers are so closely related sometimes it's the small details like menu functionality, remote control features, aesthetic appearance that can make the difference too. 

Good luck.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,732 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 25 2010 - 10:15 AM

I believe Pioneer receivers will convert an analog signal to hdmi and they will up-scale that analog signal to 1080P but they will not up-scale an hdmi signal to 1080P. If you have a satillite receiver and are watching an old tv show in SD 480i thru an hdmi connection that signal will remain at 480i while going thru the receiver to the display which, will convert it to 1080P or whatever resolution your display is. I wandered thru the 25's manual but couldn't find where it explains this but I remember reading it in another Pioneer manual.

Did I explain this clearly?  . Whatever resolution a digital (hdmi) signal goes into a Pioneer receiver will come out a Pioneer receiver. 480i in = 480i out. 1080i in = 1080i out.

Composite, S-Video and Component video signals are up-scaled to 1080P to varying degrees of success.

Not sure if this is true for all Pioneer receivers but it is for the ones I've looked at.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Bouncer123

Bouncer123

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 03:07 AM

http://www.avsforum....etails/4972.asp

That is where my question spawned from.  I wasn't exactly sure what non digital processing meant.  thank you guys for the feedback. I understand now what it means after gene explained it.  I was just worried that by some chance it wouldn't post anything in hdmi if I ran through the avr and not the tv...now I know it just means it won't upscale...which really doesn't bother me because most of my source media is usually 1080i or better.  Although digital to digital upscaling would be nice to have...especially considering the price.  I am going to be at bestbuy this weekend and I will tinker around with the settings/controls on each and take it from there...thanks again.