Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New Mac Mini I could'nt Wait anylonger

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 02:21 AM

Since the Mini is mid way into it's cycle I decided to pull the trigger, I have a PPC 1.42 ghz mini, had it since 2005 and i was a bit long in the tooth. I skipped the initial Intel line, and debated waiting to see if they go I7 in the mini , but decided they probably would'nt as they have'nt even released the Macbook Pro's with that CPU Yet (although it's due soon)

I'm glad I sprung, the 2.53ghz Coreduo2 and Snow Leopard makes my old mini look quaint. Also sprung for a magic Mouse and Wireless Keyboard. It's a very nice system, I wanted to get it up and running prior to picking up the Ipad in a few weeks.

I've been not buying much in the way of SW of late cause alot of it moved past tiger and required Leopard or above. So can anyone suggest any SW that would be worth DL/Buying ?

BTW I thought the New Mini's came with Remotes, I had none in my Box.

Dave
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#2 of 5 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,456 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 25 2010 - 03:12 AM

Dave, I think Apple has dropped the packed-in remotes across the line (except for the Apple TV, of course). I know my last iMac (last year) and MBP (2 years ago) didn't come with them.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#3 of 5 Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,274 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 05:04 AM

Figured as Much, I'm not using it for an HTPC at the moment since I have an Apple TV, I bought a New Remote for that so I could always use the old plastic one for the Mini, if I ever did HTPCing on it I'd probably opt for Plex over Front Row...
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#4 of 5 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,688 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted March 25 2010 - 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scarpa 

I've been not buying much in the way of SW of late cause alot of it moved past tiger and required Leopard or above. So can anyone suggest any SW that would be worth DL/Buying ?

BTW I thought the New Mini's came with Remotes, I had none in my Box.
Acorn
Carbon Copy Cloner
Steam in about 2 weeks
CS5 in about 3 weeks
Lightroom

Above only if into photos/videos cept CCC

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#5 of 5 JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,454 posts

Posted March 30 2010 - 01:28 PM

I also got a 2.53 GHz Mini a couple weeks ago.  My previous Mini is less than a year old, but the folks are in desperate need of a new Mac, so it is going to them.  I still got a 25% speed boost.  For the first time I can remember, a step-up Mac finally makes serious sense, meaning the 2.53 GHz Mini over the 2.2 GHz.  You get a LOT for the extra $200.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users