Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 918 posts

Posted March 24 2010 - 01:51 PM

http://static.hometh...tar-60-12.jpg">

THE BOONDOCK SAINTS II:
ALL SAINTS DAY
Studio: Sony Tri-StarYear: 2009Rated: RFilm Length: 1 hour, 57 minutesAspect Ratio: 1080p High Definition Widescreen (2.35:1)Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, French 5.1 DTS-HD MA, Portuguese 5.1 DTS-HD MA, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Release Date: March 9, 2010
The Movie
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day is the follow-up to the uber-violent 1999 film starring Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, and Willem Dafoe. The MacManus brothers (Flanery and Reedus) have left Boston behind following the end of the first film and are keeping a low profile in Ireland with their father, Il Duce(Billy Connolly). When the brothers hear that a copycat killer is making efforts in Boston to frame them and smear their good names, they return to bring their unique brand of justice to the responsible parties. A new ally (Clifton Collins, Jr.) joins up with the brothers to help them on their way. The brothers also find a new ally in FBI Special Agent Susan Bloom(Julie Benz) who is a protégé of Agent Smecker, played in the original by Dafoe. Judd Nelson plays the new head of the Yakevetta crime family, which has a bone to pick with the MacManus Brothers.
The original Boondock Saints has acquired a cult following in the years since it premiered as writer/director Troy Duffy’s first film. Duffy returns here as writer and director of the film. At risk of offending fans of the original film, I found that film to be schizophrenic in tone; it could not decide if it was trying to be realistic and serious, or quirky, and it ended up being a little bit of both. Although the same could be said of this sequel, I enjoyed this film more than the original.
The Boondock Saints II succeeds where the original failed by not taking itself so seriously. The hardcore violence and other elements that marked the original film are fully present in this sequel, but by casting aside the first film’s pretensions of verisimilitude, this sequel succeeds in surpassing the original film for entertainment value.
Video
The movie is in 1080p high definition in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The picture quality and fine detail are excellent. Film grain is minor and there are no compression artifacts to mar the presentation. Edge enhancement and DNR do not appear to be notably present in any scenes.
Audio
The English 5.1 DTS-HD MA tracks make full use of every speakers with more than the average amount of deep bass. Directional audio is well employed and the ambient sounds make you feel like you are there, even when firearms are not blazing. This is reference or near reference quality audio.
Special Features
The special features include all of the following:
Feature Commentary: Writer/director Troy Duffy and stars Sean Patrick Flanery, Norman Reedus, and Billy Connolly provide an engaging feature length commentary.
Feature Commentary: Willem Dafoe collaborates with writer/director Troy Duffy on this alternate commentary track.
Deleted Scenes (2:38): This consists of 2 brief scenes.
Unprecented Access: Behind The Scenes Featurette (25:49): This is an interesting documentary about production of the film.
Billy Connolly and Troy Duffy: Unedited (9:22): This feature appears to have been filmed on the set with Connolly and Duffy bantering back and forth.
The Cast Confesses: Secrets from the Set (7:13): Cast and crew provide brief comments on making the film.
Inside The Vault: The Weapons (8:28): Head Armorer Charles Taylor discusses the decisions made in selecting certain firearms for the film and demonstrates some of the hardware.
The Boondock Saints Hit Comic-Con (57:02): This featurette includes the full presentation from Comic Con International 2009 attended by Duffy, Flanery, Reedus, and Connolly.
Trailers: This feature includes a multitude of film previews, although some are extremely short:Black Dynamite (0:16)Universal Soldier: Regeneration (1:25)Damned United (2:05)The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (1:44)H2: Halloween II (0:17)Breaking Bad season 2 (0:32)Snatch (2:01)Moon (0:32)Zombieland (0:31)The Da Vinci Code (1:06)
Trailers for Damned United, The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus, Moon, and Zombieland also appear by default after the disc is loaded and prior to the main menu.
BD Live Blu Ray players connected to the internet can access the movieIQ feature, which presents information about the cast, crew, production, and music during the movie via a pop-up window. The window takes up about one-third of the screen and the trivia will be of little interest to most viewers. The BD Live feature also gives access to downloadable content such trailers for other films.
Conclusion
Some fans of the original film will inevitably be disappointed by The Boondock Saints II. This reviewer is not one of them, since I enjoyed this film much more than the original. This sequel succeeds in discarding the weak elements of the original film while retaining the parts that made the first film stand out. Willem Dafoe’s performance in the first film was terrific, and one wishes that his character had returned to play prominently in this film, however, I enjoyed this film in spite of that fact. The video and audio qualities of this Blu-Ray edition are excellent, and this disc includes a wealth of special features. If you like your action movies to be hardcore, then The Boondock Saints II comes recommended as part of your video library.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,815 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 25 2010 - 04:59 AM

Thanks Timothy. I was not particularly impressed with the first film either, so hearing you enjoyed the sequel moves it back up on my to-watch list. Plus, it has Julie Benz! :D

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Timothy E

Timothy E

Supporting Actor

• 918 posts

Posted March 27 2010 - 08:52 AM

Thanks, Cameron.  Let me know what you think...   of Julie!  

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,265 posts

Posted March 28 2010 - 08:53 PM

I have not seen the blu-ray version to see how it looks and feels, but saw this in the theater with my wife.  We both loved it also.  I thought it was as good if not better then the first also.  This is a must have for me!

My DVD Collection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users