Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

My system, let me know what you think?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 23 2010 - 03:22 PM

Heres my setup now posted in the right place anyway................

just looking for some advise, if I can change or improve anything.  Any suggestions are welcome good or bad.  Here's some pics of my system, let me know what you think.

Panasonic viera plasma and B&W 600 series front speakers with Denon 12" subwoofers
http://cdn.huddler.c...oject 035.jpg">

A wider view of the front of the room.

Sound Dynamics 700 series concert monitors for my rears (need to make some grills) the horn tweeters give them amazing dispersion making them ideal for rears because they blend in so well.  Sound MUCH better than my previous B&W DM220 rears. 

More Denon subwoofers for some rear bass support, nice and hidden when not in use <br /></span>
<a href='http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/95/avatar-60-9.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://cdn.huddler.c...oject 007.jpg"></a><br />
<br />
<br />
My ancient surround sound processor on the top and my SAE amps for the front speakers and center channel on the bottom. <br />
<a target=

Another pic of the processor

My Denon POA 800 amp for the rears, the PS3 is used for all the movies and games and the Behringer EP1500 is used on the four Denon subs.

The SAE TWO A7 receiver is used for the 4 Aura Bass Shakers (2 per couch) and the Behringer crossover is used for the subs (one side for the four denons and the other side for the RCF 21" subwoofer)

The four denons are playing 80 Hz and down and the RCF is 44Hz and down with the use of this crossover.

A pair of Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the couch wired to 8 ohm.  These are in my opinion a great addition to any theater, they can really bring a movie to life when set up properly.  

There is a Crown XLS 602 hiding under the couch, its fan cooled so it never gets hot but I'm still thinking of moving it in case of the off chance it decides to blow up and light my couch on fire   <br /></span>
<a href='http://static.hometheaterforum.com/imgrepo/9/95/avatar-60-9.jpg' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.hometheat...mage/id/88024"></a><br />
<br />
<br />
This powers the RCF sub in the attached room, these amps have seemingly endless mounts of power.<br />
<a target=

This is my RCF 21" subwoofer that the crown amp powers  

The driver is mounted into a massive 17.5 cubic foot box tuned to 12 Hz.  We had to take off the legs on the work bench to fit the box, it wasn't fun carrying it down the stairs! 

When the box was built I made it so it is possible to swap out the port and change the tuning frequency.  The box was recently stuffed with poly-fill and some excess is blowing out of the port.  

The big sub plays right into the main room, its almost impossible to tell that its really in the next room.

I can even close the door with no effect on sound except at extremely high volumes. 

Well that's about it let me know what you think or what I can improve.  The surround sound processor sounds really good but its very old so it it only supports Dolby surround.........  I am possibly thinking of replacing it someday if I find one that I really like.  Over all I really like what I have put together here but there is always ways to improve upon it and I know that there are some people that visit these forums that are much smarter than me so I figured that I would post this and see what people think.

#2 of 15 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,560 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 25 2010 - 11:25 AM

Wow looks nice.  I agree that your processor is the weak link.  With that great sound system I would want to make sure I could handle the latest audio formats.  You could probably get away with using a receiver that supports DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD and has pre-amp outs.  Just hook it up to your existing amps.  It would probably be a big improvement for little $$.

#3 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 29 2010 - 04:56 PM

Ya, sometime maybe when I have some spare cash I might try to find a nice used Onkyo Integra or maybe a Denon if I can find a good one.  It would probly make a very big differance.

#4 of 15 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted April 01 2010 - 11:58 AM

Really impressive!! I really love your audio gear. Question, do you find that putting it at an angle from your walls and seating area affects it somewhat? I always thought that you had to sit parallel to your sound sources.

#5 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 07:29 AM

Quote:
Really impressive!! I really love your audio gear. Question, do you find that putting it at an angle from your walls and seating area affects it somewhat? I always thought that you had to sit parallel to your sound sources.

Yes I would imagine that sitting on an angle does somewhat affect the sound, but those B&W speakers have excellent dispersion so they image very well sitting almost anywhere.  I'm thinking of getting the mains up on stands to, I think that might also help. 

#6 of 15 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted April 08 2010 - 07:22 PM

Great setup. My only thought would be to put your center channel above your monitor just for aesthetics.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 15 joe goswami

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 12:41 AM

Love that sub Brandon. I agree, keep all that classic amplification and eq and invest in a decent HT preamp. My 20 year old Adcom GFA-555II has been through many setups but it will always remain a constant in my system.

#8 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted April 09 2010 - 12:43 AM

Quote:
Great setup. My only thought would be to put your center channel above your monitor just for aesthetics.

Thats an good idea, but I kind of like how it fits perfectly flush with the bottom of the screen, I would also have to build a stand.

#9 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 14 2010 - 01:35 AM

Well I think I have found a pre amp that I like.  A came across a slightly used Onkyo Integra DTR-6.8,  I like the looks of it allot.  I am thinking of picking it up this weekend, I will post pics once its in place.

#10 of 15 darklight

darklight

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 17 2010 - 07:50 AM

wow looks good clean system set up. i do agree that the Crown should be moved from under the sofa.

#11 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 18 2010 - 06:05 AM

i do agree that the Crown should be moved from under the sofa.

Ya your right and I am going to move it.  I will post pics of the new integra and where the Crown is moved to once i can get hold of a camera.  I had to move most of the amps around to fit the new receiver, it takes up allot of room.

#12 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 04:03 PM

Re tuned my subwoofer port last night, now tuned to 19Hz.  I was having issues with the driver becoming very nonlinear and unstable at very high volumes.  I believe the problem lies in the box being ported to far below resonance (originally ported at about 12 Hz).  Anyway here are some pics.

Posted Image

here it is finished

Posted Image

I used a grinder to round it and PVC primer to smooth out the rough spots.

So far I have watched "The Kingdom" and part of "Cloverfield", the woofer seems to be handeling itself much better now.  There are no more scary mechanical noises coming from the room its in.

#13 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 11:51 PM

Finally........ Here is a pic of my brand spankin new Onkyo Integra DTR 6.8 reciever.  I am using it as my new surround sound processor.  This thing stomps all over my Shure processor.

Posted Image

#14 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 25 2010 - 11:54 PM

I had to move my Denon POA 800 amp for the back speakers as it didnt fit with the Integra.Posted Image

#15 of 15 Brandon3212

Brandon3212

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted May 28 2010 - 05:40 AM

Well I have been watching some of my movies over again now that I have the new Integra.  I really never believed that the new surround sound formats sounded so much better, but WOW, what an amazing difference!  Even Jurassic Park was like a brand new experience.  I am going to watch some more movies tonight, turn the receiver up to +0 and listen to everything in the house shake and rattle.  I am also looking forward to really giving the re-tuned subwoofer port a longer harder test to see if it really makes a big difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users