What's new

My system, let me know what you think? (1 Viewer)

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Wow looks nice. I agree that your processor is the weak link. With that great sound system I would want to make sure I could handle the latest audio formats. You could probably get away with using a receiver that supports DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD and has pre-amp outs. Just hook it up to your existing amps. It would probably be a big improvement for little $$.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Ya, sometime maybe when I have some spare cash I might try to find a nice used Onkyo Integra or maybe a Denon if I can find a good one. It would probly make a very big differance.

Really impressive!! I really love your audio gear. Question, do you find that putting it at an angle from your walls and seating area affects it somewhat? I always thought that you had to sit parallel to your sound sources.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Really impressive!! I really love your audio gear. Question, do you find that putting it at an angle from your walls and seating area affects it somewhat? I always thought that you had to sit parallel to your sound sources.
Yes I would imagine that sitting on an angle does somewhat affect the sound, but those B&W speakers have excellent dispersion so they image very well sitting almost anywhere. I'm thinking of getting the mains up on stands to, I think that might also help.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Great setup. My only thought would be to put your center channel above your monitor just for aesthetics.

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
Love that sub Brandon. I agree, keep all that classic amplification and eq and invest in a decent HT preamp. My 20 year old Adcom GFA-555II has been through many setups but it will always remain a constant in my system.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Great setup. My only thought would be to put your center channel above your monitor just for aesthetics.
Thats an good idea, but I kind of like how it fits perfectly flush with the bottom of the screen, I would also have to build a stand.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Well I think I have found a pre amp that I like. A came across a slightly used Onkyo Integra DTR-6.8, I like the looks of it allot. I am thinking of picking it up this weekend, I will post pics once its in place.

darklight

Auditioning
Real Name
Ivan Brown
wow looks good clean system set up. i do agree that the Crown should be moved from under the sofa.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
i do agree that the Crown should be moved from under the sofa.

Ya your right and I am going to move it. I will post pics of the new integra and where the Crown is moved to once i can get hold of a camera. I had to move most of the amps around to fit the new receiver, it takes up allot of room.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Re tuned my subwoofer port last night, now tuned to 19Hz. I was having issues with the driver becoming very nonlinear and unstable at very high volumes. I believe the problem lies in the box being ported to far below resonance (originally ported at about 12 Hz). Anyway here are some pics.

here it is finished

I used a grinder to round it and PVC primer to smooth out the rough spots.

So far I have watched "The Kingdom" and part of "Cloverfield", the woofer seems to be handeling itself much better now. There are no more scary mechanical noises coming from the room its in.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Finally........ Here is a pic of my brand spankin new Onkyo Integra DTR 6.8 reciever. I am using it as my new surround sound processor. This thing stomps all over my Shure processor.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
I had to move my Denon POA 800 amp for the back speakers as it didnt fit with the Integra.

Brandon3212

Agent
Real Name
Brandon Hartwick
Well I have been watching some of my movies over again now that I have the new Integra. I really never believed that the new surround sound formats sounded so much better, but WOW, what an amazing difference! Even Jurassic Park was like a brand new experience. I am going to watch some more movies tonight, turn the receiver up to +0 and listen to everything in the house shake and rattle. I am also looking forward to really giving the re-tuned subwoofer port a longer harder test to see if it really makes a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks