What's new

A-Team music intact on DVD's? (1 Viewer)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
There was a surprising amount of music on this program. I was curious if anyone has ever gone through and noticed when it's been kept intact and where it's been replaced? Was watching a episode on tv the other day that started with Surfin' USA from the Beach Boys and remember many other instances like Eve of Destruction being prominently used in one episode. It's infrequent enough where I'd hope it's been mostly kept intact. I haven't purchased any of the seasons and would like to buy the complete series, but the lack of music in episodes I remember it would definitely influence how much I'd be willing to pay. I've grabbed these list off the A-Team Canon fan website.

SongArtistEpisodeJumpin' Jack FlashRolling Stones Mexican Slayride My Heroes Have Always Been CowboysWillie NelsonWhen You Comin' Back Range Rider
Roxanne PoliceSteelSurfin' USA Beach BoysBullets and Bikinis Brass In My Pocket The Pretenders Sheriffs of Rivertown Driving My Life AwayEddie Rabbit Cup A Joe Cheeseburger in Paradise Jimmy BuffetCup A Joe The Good, The Bad and The Ugly Enrico Morricone White Ballot?Once More With Love?Peggy Lee?BountyThe Heat Is On Glenn FryBeverly Hills Assault - edited
out on most TV cuts
Dedicated Follower of FashionThe KinksBeverly Hills Assault - edited
out on most TV cuts
See You Later Alligator Bill Haley and the Comets Knights of the Road One Way Or Another BlondieThe Incident at Crystal Lake

Heart of Rock n Roll Huey Lewis and the News Heart of Rock n Roll Glow Rick James Heart of Rock n Roll Jailhouse RockElvis Presley Heart of Rock n Roll Superfreak Rick JamesHeart of Rock n Roll Steamroller Isaac Hayes sung it, but never recorded
it
Heart of Rock n Roll Don't Let Go Isaac Hayes Heart of Rock n Roll Too Marvelous For WordsThe Lennon SistersCowboy GeorgeMove Away Boy George and Culture ClubCowboy George God Thank You Woman Boy George and Culture ClubCowboy George Karma Chameleon Boy George and Culture ClubCowboy George We've Gotta Get Out of This PlaceThe Animals Beneath the Surface Need Your Love So Bad Allman Brothers Band Mission of Peace Not Fade Away Buddy HollyTrouble With Harry (fades into
a modern version, I don't know who did it)
Addicted to Love Robert Palmer The Sound of ThunderEve of Destruction Barry McGuire The Sound of ThunderLouie, Louie unknown (Kingsmen do a good version)Theory of Revolution Revolution The Beatles Theory of Revolution Miles From Nowhere Cat Stevens (although this version
isn't the one in the show)
Alive at FiveI've Got A Crush On You Linda RonstadtWithout ReservationsMy Girl The TemptationsThe Grey Team?Night FeverBee GeesThe Grey Team
Plus a unknown song in the episode titled Breakout.

Possibly written for the show:
Opposites (Joey Scarbury) Curtain Call
Trouble on Wheels (no idea who sung it) Trouble on Wheels and Where Is The Monster When You Need Him?
Let It Go (Stevi Faith) There Goes the Neighbourhood
Prison yard song (Isaac Hayes) Heart of Rock n Roll
Right Straight Into My Heart (The Bell's) The Bell's of St. Mary's
Never Too Late (Joey Scarbury probably) The Grey Team

Songs sung by the actors on the program:
Surf City (Jan and Dean) Bullets and Bikinis
Surfin' USA (Beach Boys) Bullets and Bikinis
California Girls (Beach Boys) Bullets and Bikinis
Fun, Fun, Fun (Beach Boys) Bullets and Bikinis
Moon Over Miami (Eddy Duchin) Bullets and Bikinis
Witch Doctor (David Seville) The Bend in the River
Three Blind Mice (Lennon Sisters) Cowboy George
16 Tons (Tennessee Ernie Ford) Dishpan Man
Strangers In The Night (Frank Sinatra) The Say UNCLE Affair
Irresponsible Me (Frank Sinatra) The Say UNCLE Affair
A Very Good Year (Frank Sinatra) The Say UNCLE Affair
Young at Heart (Frank Sinatra) The Say UNCLE Affair
Fly Me to the Moon (Frank Sinatra) The Say UNCLE Affair

media-junkie

Agent
Real Name
Johnson Manes
Leo, I can confirm that the A-Team DVD sets do contain the original music. I have the first four seasons on DVD and I remember Willie Nelson's "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" being on "When You Coming Back Range Rider" episode. While I don't recall all of the episodes, I can confirm that the original music is contained on the episodes.

Also, there are no warnings on the packaging that the music has been replaced either.

I highly recommend purchasing these sets.

Curtis F

Stunt Coordinator
The thing you have to remember about the music on this show is that most if not all of the songs were re-recorded by studio musicians at the time. Knight Rider did this as well. They were not original recordings by the original artists. This way the licensing was and is cheaper.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I'm not familiar with all of those songs, but many were definitely the original songs done by the original artist, such as the two examples I gave above (Surfin' USA by the Beach Boys and Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire). They aren't rerecordings done by a new artist.

It's my understanding that all of the others in the main list are by the artist shown, with the second smaller section of songs being those done by studio musicians.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
There was that episode in which Blondie's One Way or Another was played at the beginning and end of an episode with "Crystal Lake" in the title. I don't know if that is on the DVD for the season it was heard in.

media-junkie

Agent
Real Name
Johnson Manes
I do know that of the episodes I remember, that the original artists, the origiinal recordings, were used. That 'Range Rider' episode is one of my faves because of Willie Nelson's song that was used, his original recording.

markjcairns

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark J.Cairns
Originally Posted by Curtis F

The thing you have to remember about the music on this show is that most if not all of the songs were re-recorded by studio musicians at the time. Knight Rider did this as well. They were not original recordings by the original artists. This way the licensing was and is cheaper.
Yup, that's exactly how it was done. Only 'MIAMI VICE' went against the grain and used the originals... to Universal's later annoyance as the DVD releases of this were delayed for a few years because of music clearances.

media-junkie

Agent
Real Name
Johnson Manes
Come to think of it, I think that's what it was with A-Team. I know that the song was included on the episode Ranger Rider but it may be that it was recorded by a different singer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks