Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Doctor Who

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
768 replies to this topic

#501 of 769 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:49 AM

Some terrific news, Apparently some more Missing Episodes have been recovered.

http://www.doctorwho...211915.html?m=1

A press conference was scheduled for tomorrow, with at least two episodes to be put out digitally (Iunes, etc.) on Wednesday. But the press conference and release has been postponed until at least the end of the week.

For those who don't know more than a hundred 1/2 hour episodes from the 60's and 70's were destroyed/junked by the BBC. Many have been recovered from other sources. As of this week, there were 106 episodes from the 60's still missing.

It looks like that number will be reduced further. Fantastic news for the upcoming 50th Anniversary.

David

#502 of 769 OFFLINE   SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 07:25 PM

It's official.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...t-arts-24448063

#503 of 769 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted October 10 2013 - 03:08 PM

It is truly official now.

http://www.telegraph...-recovered.html

http://metro.co.uk/2...igeria-4142162/

http://www.mirror.co...s-video-2359432

http://www.theguardi...nd-download-bbc

Nine previously missing episodes returned to the BBC.   We've gone from 106 missing to 97 missing.

All the episodes from Patrick Troughton stories - Five from Enemy Of The World, Four from The Web Of Fear.   Each story already had an existing episode.  That means that Enemy is now complete.  And we now have 5/6 of Web (making it a candidate for animation).

Fantastic 50th Anniversary gift.

Thanks to all the people who put in the effort to get this done (and thanks to those in other countries who didn't do their jobs at destroying their unused/unfiled films).

David.

P.S.   This is my 1000th post here on HTF.

#504 of 769 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 19 2013 - 01:41 PM

50th Anniversary Trailer for "The Day of the Doctor":

No footage from the actual episode, but some pretty incredible reconstructions of the earlier Doctors that makes what they did in "The Name of the Doctor" look absolutely rudimentary.

#505 of 769 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted October 25 2013 - 09:31 AM

It's been a good news / bad news / good news / better news day.

First, The Day Of The Doctor will be shown in theaters - some showings on Monday Nov 25th, but a few select showings as part of the Global simulcast on Saturday afternoon Nov 23rd (the actual 50th Anniversary)

Second, the two Chicago area theaters sold out for the 23rd in less than 5 minutes. Before I was able to get a ticket.

Third, I found out that ATT UVerse finally has added BBC America HD to their lineup, as of last night.

Fourth, one of the Chicago theaters added a second screen and I was able to get tickets for me and my sons.

On a side note, both Castle and Big Bang Theory had DW references

#506 of 769 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 09 2013 - 04:49 PM

The proper trailer for the Anniversary Special:

It looks epic, which is no surprise. I just hope it's a bit more disciplined than the rather sloppy "Name of the Doctor".

#507 of 769 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 14 2013 - 05:29 AM

The Night of the Doctor, a seven-minute prequel to the 50th anniversary special:

Spoiler Warning: The John Hurt Doctor's place in the mythology is confirmed, and it features probably the biggest cameo in new-"Who".

#508 of 769 OFFLINE   joshEH

joshEH

Producer

• 3,093 posts
  • LocationRoom 303, The Heart O' The City Hotel

Posted November 14 2013 - 01:23 PM

Spoilers for "The Night of the Doctor":

Spoiler

Edited by joshEH, November 14 2013 - 03:54 PM.

"Pablo, please take Chet's corpse into the other room, and then fix Mr. Hallenbeck a drink."

#509 of 769 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted November 15 2013 - 04:03 AM

Those who want to hear more of the 8th Doctor can catch up via a special offer from Big Finish

#510 of 769 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted November 16 2013 - 10:27 AM

Spoilers for "The Night of the Doctor":

Spoiler

I would agree with you on that. In fact, I would say that person is right up there with David Tennant and Tom Baker as my favorite all time.

#511 of 769 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 22 2013 - 10:02 PM

Anybody else watch the docudrama An Adventure in Time and Space about the creation of "Doctor Who"?

I thought it had a bit too much fun with the period storytelling and was a bit too on the nose with the social commentary, but everything involving William Hartnell I thought they got spot on. David Bradley gives a magnificent performance as Hartnell, staying resolutely in character the entire way through and never winking at the camera like so many of the other players do. The writing for Hartnell similarly takes a step up in nuance. Both the performance and the writing capture a man who never felt like he had the career he deserved, and then found it in a show most "serious" actors would have turned up their nose at. A man who recognized the impact his role had on children and was both moved by that and appreciated the responsibility of that. While they played up his reputation for occasionally flubbing lines, they were right to point out that that was as much a product of the severe limitations placed on editing and multiple takes by the BBC's production pipeline at the time. An all around beautiful and empathetic portrait of a man who in a role found his calling.

#512 of 769 OFFLINE   Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,711 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 12:11 AM

I watched it and I didn't notice any "winking" at the camera by any of the actors involved. I thought it was really well done. Bradley as Hartnell was a standout, but the other actors performed their parts very well too.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#513 of 769 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 01:53 AM

I really enjoyed An Adventure In Space and Time as well. It seemed like it moved a little fast (there were probably some great details that they just couldn't get to in a 90-minute movie), but it was still was pretty nice, and David Bradley was terrific.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#514 of 769 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 23 2013 - 01:42 PM

That might have given Blink a run for its money as Steven Moffat's best Doctor Who story. I loved it from start to finish -- especially for the possibilities it opens up for Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor.

And unlike some other recent efforts, the logic tracked for me the whole way through. The only bit of hand-waving that stood out to me was Tom Baker as the museum curator, but that can be excused because it's hard to imagine the 50th Anniversary without Tom Baker.

And I actually thought Billie Piper gave the best Doctor Who performance she's ever given as the manifestation of the Moment. She was ethereal, mysterious, all-knowing, empathetic, kind all at once -- basically an impossible task to give an actor, and she pulled it off brilliantly.

This is the first time Clara's really worked for me as a companion since The Snowmen. It needed to be her rather than Amy, because Amy had a wonderful naivete about her (which saved the Doctor in "The Beast Below"). Clara is clever and optimistic and sentimental, but she's not naive. She saw what was about to happen, knew that the Doctor would go through with it, and said what she needed to say to bring him back from the brink. Much like Donna, she sees his flaws. She adores him, is maybe a bit in awe of him, but she doesn't idolize him. And I loved that the episode started with her teaching at the Coal Hill School.

My only disappointment was Christopher Eccleston not coming back for John Hurt's regeneration scene. Given that we now have McGann's into Ecceleston's, it would have been a beautiful way to close the loop.

#515 of 769 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted November 23 2013 - 01:46 PM

I just watched the 50th anniversary episode in 3D, some good depth and pop out scenes, hell there was better use of 3D in this episode than most of the so called "blockbuster" films that are conversions, such a shame that the BBC have now dropped 3D as they deem it a failure, i personally don't think they gave it enough of a shot, they should have shown as many films and shows as possible in a short space of time with lots of advertising ahead of the broadcasts and then they would have got a better picture of whether 3D was working for their channel.

I thnk they dropped 3D in order to have capacity for BBC 3 and BBC 4 and the regional news broadcasts in HD, that is the real reason, they call it a failure as an excuse to drop it, they have other planned uses for the Red Button service so that probably wasn't an option.

Oh talking about this episode, i thought John Hurt was excellent, Tennant mugged it as usual, my favourite part of the show were the scenes with Tom Baker, my favourite actor in the role and far and away the best Doctor Who, i was actually watching some earlier episodes, the effects were poor, even for the time, but the acting was very good and the tone was more serious and i prefer that to the "comedy" they insist on having today.

The Zygons were supposedly all destroyed during the Tom Baker era during the Loch Ness Monster episode, i don't see how they could have them back and the conclusion to their story was weak here and their threat was dimished by having comedy moments, i also would have liked to have seen more of the time war but i really liked the conclusion to that particular storyline.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#516 of 769 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,636 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 04:32 PM

I really liked it a lot.  I wonder just what it means for "The End of Time."  Or whether the events of "The End of Time" take a different meaning now.  

Lots to think about and great cameos all around.  I really would have liked to have seen more of Christopher Eccleston than the reused footage they did have.  

Another cool thing would have been to have seen Derek Jacobi's Master ...

Edited by NeilO, November 23 2013 - 04:57 PM.

#517 of 769 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,537 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 05:33 PM

I enjoyed it, too. Good story, wonderful character moments, and John Hurt certainly classes up anything he's in. However, I wonder if there's any particular reason why Hurt's character couldn't have been Paul McGann the whole time. Can you imagine the reaction if it had been McGann that showed up at the end of "The Name of the Doctor?"

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#518 of 769 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,670 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 06:22 PM

First of all, I loved it.   All of it.

As a life long fan who wasn't totally thrilled by the past couple of series, I had a tiny bit of uneasiness that it might not work.   Boy was I wrong.   It was terrific, made sense, wasn't rushed.   I'm not sure how non-fans would receive it, but for myself, I literally had tears of joy when all the doctors showed up.   And then the kicker of Tom Baker.   WOW.  just wow!

My only disappointment was Christopher Eccleston not coming back for John Hurt's regeneration scene. Given that we now have McGann's into Ecceleston's, it would have been a beautiful way to close the loop.

I actually saw a tiny bit of Eccleston's face at the tail end of the regeneration, and then they cut away (intentionally, I imagine).  But there was a glimpse.   (I expect that that footage will make its way to the web - frame-by-frame in no time).

The Zygons were supposedly all destroyed during the Tom Baker era during the Loch Ness Monster episode, i don't see how they could have them back and the conclusion to their story was weak here and their threat was dimished by having comedy moments, i also would have liked to have seen more of the time war but i really liked the conclusion to that particular storyline.

This didn't technically contradict Terror Of The Zygons.   By the 1970's, there were only a handful of Zygons to go against Tom's Doctor.   However, since these Zygons originated during Elizabeth I's time (and traveled forward through time to modern day), it was OK.

I agree with the comments posted here.  Its been a great day.

David

#519 of 769 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,372 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted November 23 2013 - 08:07 PM

I really liked it a lot.  I wonder just what it means for "The End of Time."  Or whether the events of "The End of Time" take a different meaning now.

One of the Time Lord generals had line to the effect of: "To hell with the High Council, their plans have already failed. Gallifrey is still in the line of fire." So I think it's safe to say that when we pick up with Gallifrey the Tenth Doctor has already sent them all back into the Time War, and it's the hours between when the Tenth Doctor sent them back and when the three Doctors trigger the Moment.

I enjoyed it, too. Good story, wonderful character moments, and John Hurt certainly classes up anything he's in. However, I wonder if there's any particular reason why Hurt's character couldn't have been Paul McGann the whole time. Can you imagine the reaction if it had been McGann that showed up at the end of "The Name of the Doctor?"

Except it wouldn't have been a big reveal if it had been McGann's Doctor, since the Doctor's never hidden from his eighth incarnation. It would have been a surprise for the audience to see McGann reprise the role, but it wouldn't have been a surprise to Clara.

As to the broader question of why it wasn't McGann for the whole Time War, Moffat said he couldn't picture McGann's soft-spoken Doctor fighting the Time War. He thought it'd have to be an old and grizzled version of the Doctor who did that. As great as John Hurt was, I there would have been far fewer headaches if it had just been McGann.

I'm still hoping we get an Eighth Doctor miniseries filling in some of the gaps between San Francisco and Karn.

Edited by Adam Lenhardt, November 23 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#520 of 769 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted November 23 2013 - 08:18 PM

Like most, this was certainly a standout episode for Doctor Who and I would agree one of the best, if not the best Moffat has done. I have been VERY critical of most of his writing, with few exceptions and this was one of them. It reminded more of what RTD might have done with it.

The entire show was quite well done and brought several of the key elements together. Sure, there are a few things they could've improved and added, but overall it was worth it. Billie Piper was quite good but starting to show some age and seeing Tennant again was as brilliant as usual in his role. It's a shame Eccleston refused to be part of it and hated his time working with those on the set so much. I don't know why he couldn't set that aside to have a small part at least, it's not like he was slave labor or something.

My absolute favorite was the surprise at the end when Smith said "I never forget a face" to Tom Baker. It was just perfect as that line and the moment made sense. Tom Baker IS Doctor Who and the most recongized face of that character to have played the part. Having him return as one of his former selves was a fantastic way to finish. I just knew they would try to do something with Tom Baker given how big a part of Who he was in the show's history. Once I saw the LONG scarf make an appearence on that girl, I knew something must be coming and I wasn't disappointed.

Just awesome is all I can say. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users