Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Doctor Who

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
784 replies to this topic

#421 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted December 25 2012 - 07:25 PM

Fantastic episode tonight. Just absolutely fantastic. A back-to-basics episode, and far more restrained and disciplined than anything we've gotten from Moffat since he took over as showrunner. The loss of Amy and Rory and the indeterminate (but lengthy) period of self-imposed exile from the world has made the Eleventh Doctor darker and more brooding, more Ninth Doctor and less manically, mile-a-minute zany. And since they're not introducing a new Doctor and a new companion at the same time, it created the opportunity for the companion herself to be the mystery. I loved Jenna-Louise Coleman, somehow the same character as from "Asylum of the Daleks" but stripped down to her core as an ambitious Cockney barmaid with a chip on her shoulder and more brains than smarts, if you take my meaning. It also drove home how much I've missed seeing the Doctor from an outsider's eyes; this episode was wonderful at making the Doctor seem magical again. Not only was Clara spying on the Doctor as he snuck into his secret TARDIS a nice throwback to how we were first introduced to the premise in "An Unearthly Child", it made the reveal new and special again. Last year's Christmas special felt phoned in. This one had the evident care and work put into it of a television pilot, which is exactly right since in a away that's exactly what it is. And I love,. love, love the new title sequence and orchestration. The theme feels alien again, and the credit sequence blazes a new trail while paying homage to a lot of the old versions of the theme sequence. The only downside to introducing the new framework for the show with the Christmas special: if this was like the pilot, now we have to wait the better part of four months for episode two.

#422 of 785 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,891 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 08:36 PM

It really was a good episode. Possibly my favorite of the Smith era (definitely better than most of is era). I like the new title sequence, [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]logo[/SPOILER], and music [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!](was that some 80's zings?)[/SPOILER]. I really liked the subtle return [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]of an old foe - similar to the Macra return in Gridlock[/SPOILER] A thoroughly enjoyable episode. Now if we could just have them return with new episodes a little sooner. Hmm, next Saturday evening seems to be open on my calendar :D David

#423 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 04:01 AM

I really loved the Christmas episode. The best one of all the Christmas episodes. Jenna Louise-Coleman was fantastic. I just live her charisma and personality. Feisty and daring. The new music and introduction is a very welcome change. Fun and exciting. Love the classic music ques and face of Matt Smith even into the effects. I love the chemistry between Clara and The Doctor. Trying to figure out who Oswin really is? Is she someone who has been cloned all throughout the universe's time? Is she some unique time traveler? It seems like she knows who she is, as she even says when asked who she is, "you wouldn't believe it if I told you." At the end, we get another version of Clara in what seems like current times. In the preview for the upcoming season, The Doctor says "She's not possible" But who knows what that's in reference to. Even though quickly after that they show a close up image of Clara. Which could be more than anything a misdirection.

all-banner.jpg

#424 of 785 OFFLINE   Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

• 803 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 06:43 AM

I must say this year's Christmas special was not only the best Christmas special of the Matt Smith era, but perhaps one of my favorite episodes they have done since he took over. Some have already pointed out many of the things I like, such as the more deep thought and dark persona compared to Smith acting like the Doctor was on drugs all the time. I just felt like Smith was doing a parody of the Doctor and this is the first time he carried the role well since he took over. Had he been like this all along, I wouldn't have minded Tennent leaving so much as I did. Also, I am REALLY glad we are finally rid of the Ponds. I know some liked them OK, but they wore thin with me quite quickly and I could've done without them after the first Smith season, let alone 3 LONG seasons with them hanging around. This alone improved the mood I thought to move things along. It was quite well done, the story was also the first more adult type of story they have done since Smith took over the role. I found the others to be dreadfully dull, boring and just out of touch for my taste to have any like for them. Now we are back to what made the other Christmas specials so good like Voyage of the Damned, etc. His new companion is going to be someone quite special, she has died twice now and appears to be coming back again. What will be intriguing is finding out what makes her so special and why there is no time paradox or a fixed point since he knows her outcome. The chemistry they have is quite good too and makes it fun to watch their interactions. Can't wait to see more of her character. I found the new Title Sequence to be just great and a nice throwback to some of the Classic Doctor Who era shows. Also, the TARDIS interior and his cloths remind me a lot of Classic Who now too which I just LOVE. They even had a part in the show about this when he looked into the mirror, I just hope he keeps it from here on out for all the episodes he does ushering in this new look and feel.

#425 of 785 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,668 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:05 AM

His new companion is going to be someone quite special, she has died twice now and appears to be coming back again. What will be intriguing is finding out what makes her so special and why there is no time paradox or a fixed point since he knows her outcome. The chemistry they have is quite good too and makes it fun to watch their interactions. Can't wait to see more of her character.
I hope we won't have "Oh, my God, they killed Clara!" each episode ... A new mystery for the season and I can hardly wait for the second half to begin.

#426 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted December 29 2012 - 10:44 PM

I also like the concept that usually the companion joins The Doctor right away, this time he has to find his companion throughout the universe. It makes me wonder if someone or something is punishing The Doctor by having a companion he could never have that he really wants.

all-banner.jpg

#427 of 785 OFFLINE   NeilO

NeilO

Screenwriter

• 2,668 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 12:00 PM

I just saw the November 27 episode of NCIS - "Gone" - which includes an appearance by Alex Kingston (River Song). With not too much of a stretch her character actually could have been River Song played down a notch.

#428 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 23 2013 - 10:56 AM

Series 7.5 will premiere 30 March

#429 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 28 2013 - 12:26 PM

Poster for the Series 7.5 premiere, "The Bells of St. John": Posted Image

#430 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 23 2013 - 06:55 AM

Prequel for the second half of the season:

It does a really nice job of presenting Matt Smith when he's playing really ancient. I find this side of the Eleventh Doctor a lot more interesting than the zany frantic side.

#431 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted March 25 2013 - 02:21 AM

Hmmm.... Mojo.Could that be what controls her or is in her to keep reappearing?I really like this prequel.I love how both characters interact with each other.It's adorable.

all-banner.jpg

#432 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 25 2013 - 05:16 PM

For those who were curious how Strax survived Demon's Run, there's a mini-sode on iTunes that fills in a bit of what happened between the Battle of Demon's Run and Victorian London:

https://itunes.apple....-2/id611365356

#433 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 01:39 AM

Here is a great sneak peak at today's episode "Bells of St. John" http://m.youtube.com...h?v=5JNwuYQI6Zs

all-banner.jpg

#434 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 30 2013 - 07:07 AM

So excited for tonight!

Huge colossal casting news for the 50th anniversary special:

Spoiler

#435 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted March 30 2013 - 06:43 PM

For those of you that don't know, Royal Mail is celebrating Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary by selling special Doctor Who stamps. You can get the full set for $13 http://shop.royalmai.../invt/who00006/ In this lavishly illustrated Presentation Pack, Doctor Who expert Gary Russell discusses all 11 incarnations of The Doctor as well as his most formidable foes. It also includes all 11 Special Stamps and the Miniature Sheet. The stamps are already setting record sales. I received mine a few days ago. It's a nice set.

all-banner.jpg

#436 of 785 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,924 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 30 2013 - 07:16 PM

I rewatched "The Snowmen" tonight before watching "The Bells of St. John", which was a good choice because the one really does flow right into the other.

So far the three Jenna Louise Coleman episodes -- "Asylum of the Daleks", "The Snowmen" and "The Bells of St. John" -- are the three best episodes of Series 7, which bodes well for the remainder of the second half. I really liked this episode because, like "The Snowmen", it showcased a disciplined Steven Moffat. The bit in 1207 AD, when we discover what the Bells of St. John are, was the only really clever-for-the-sake-of-being-clever bit. Everything in 2013 was very much on a human scale. The episode benefited from shooting the London scenes in London rather than Cardiff being passed off for London, and the episodic story had a well-structured beginning, middle and end. If there was any down side for me, it was that the reveal of the TARDIS to the 2013 Clara felt rushed. One of my favorite bits is the first time a companion walks through the TARDIS doors and begins to get an idea what they're in for. Victorian Clara got a GREAT introduction to the TARDIS, and I can see why Moffat would have felt doing that again in the next episode would have felt a bit redundant, but still, I missed it.I also really liked that Clara didn't spend the whole hour showing the Doctor up like Oswin did in "Asylum of the Daleks" until that final heartbreaking beat. Clara's running to catch up the entire hour, and the one time she does do something the Doctor can't, there's a built-in story explanation for how she does it. The little touch with the boy reading the book by Amelia Williams and Clara commenting that the eleventh chapter always makes her cry was a nice little nod to the show's larger continuity.

So the chronology for the Great Intelligence from its perspective is: "The Snowmen" (Eleventh Doctor, 1892 London), "The Abominable Snowmen" (Second Doctor, 1935 Tibet), "The Web of Fear" (Second Doctor, 1975 London) and finally "The Bells of Saint John" (Eleventh Doctor, 2013 London). Two episodes with the Great Intelligence, two episodes with Clara. I wonder if there's a connection? In both episodes, the Great Intelligence had the chance to scan her mind. Is it possible that 2013 Clara is a product of Victorian Clara being scanned by the Great Intelligence. And if so, is the Oswin Oswald that gets Dalek-ized the 2013 Clara? After all, both are now really good with computers.

#437 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 03:33 AM

I really like Clara Oswin Oswald as the new companion, even though she hasn't fully become his companion yet.I wasn't drawn into the whole Internet story.But I did like the transition from The Doctor taking Clara from the street into the Tardis then onto the plane.Some people are theorizing that the girl in the shop who gave Clara the phone number for Internet repair was Sally Sparrow, I kind of like that.In Clara's "101 Places to See" book, ages 16 & 23 are missing.Are these because Clara was missing, dead or reborn (missing her mojo)Both Claras are governesses (watch children)Now that this evolves the Great Intelligence, I'm going to download the audios of Abominable Snowmen and Web of Fear. I can't wait until The Doctor takes Clara through time.Every month on the BBC, they will be having New Doctor specials celebrating all of the Doctors. Today they are premiering the one for the third doctor and repeating the one for the second doctor. After each special the will play a classic episode. I had to go to OnDemand to watch the first doctor special. Today they are also doing an all new companion special.

all-banner.jpg

#438 of 785 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 05:35 AM

Remind me again. What's "The Great Intelligence"? 

#439 of 785 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,630 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 05:52 AM

http://www.airlockal...telligence.html And Matt Smith has signed on to continue playing the Doctor in 2014.

all-banner.jpg

#440 of 785 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 2,035 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:24 PM

Thanks! and that's good news about Matt Smith. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users