What's new

Troubleshooting Scientific Atlanta 8300 with a Western Digital 500g DVR expander (1 Viewer)

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Okay, I have had a certain 8300 from Time Warner for about 3 or 4 years and since last July I added on a Western Digital 500g expander.

It all worked well until that certain 8300 crashed. I exchanged it for a new one at the Cable company.

So this time I had the expander hooked in from the beginning of the use with the new 8300. It seemed to be working okay, although it would always give a message that there was a external drive working with the unit that showed after rebooting (it made me wonder if it all got hooked up correctly).

We then had a power outage, which as it went out, blinked a few times before it finally gave up until it come on an hour and a half later.

Sometime after the power came back, I became aware that the 8300 was not functioning properly. A few recordings would be gone, even though the entry existed in the list. What I mean is that while a recording of, say, "The Simpsons" was listed in the recordings and I was able to view the recorded show before the blackout. After the black out and booting, the show is still listed, but selecting it would only give you a blank "DVR channel" screen. Also, on a couple recordings I had a few seconds of a future segment of the show intrude on an earlier portion of the show intermittently. First program affected, it happened cyclically a few times, the second program, just once.

Also, it would appear that on new recordings there would sometimes be periods of black at the beginning. This seems to not be happening as much and it is unclear if it happens due to a temporary bad signal. It is baffling though. When I was recording Family Guy and Gene Simmons Family Jewels at the same time, I checked in on the beginning of the recording for Gene and it was malfunctioning. The first few seconds are recorded and the rest of the status bar shows red (not recorded). I select "live tv" to go to Gene as it was being shown presently while it was still recording and it was black. I change back to the Family Guy channel, end the recording for Gene and change back to the channel I stopped recording on and I have picture and audio that was missing a few moments earlier.

It also became clear to me that whenever I booted the unit, I would lose access to recordings that are still listed and that I have accessed before.

Unlike my old 8300, this unit seems to never be able to get the channel guide descriptions (while it does get the titles) for 7 days out. On my old machine when it was tardy in getting descriptions for 7'th day I would reboot and it would get those missing descriptions almost every time.

Now, on the new unit, it doesn't seem to work and I lose access to some recordings in the process. I also still get the screen informing me I have an external drive working with the DVR.

I am wondering if the relationship between my DVR and the expander went screwy because of the blackout or if another 8300 exchange would help or if it is something anyone here can enlighten me on.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I can't answer you question specifically but I have the same box and was just searching for some info regarding the box and I found this thread - it talks about adding an external HD.

Might have some info you need;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=471859

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I would try erasing the internal drive, erasing and re-formatting the external drive and re-connecting and rebooting everything.

As I understand it, the external drive is 'mated' to a specific box, so maybe it's possible that there's still some leftover data from the old box on the external drive that's wreaking havoc with its connection to the new 8300.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info, when I get the recordings I have to a level that I don't mind losing them voluntarily I will try the total reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks