Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Sherwood BDP 5004 or Oppo BDP-80

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 22 2010 - 09:21 PM

i've read many threads but am still very confused as to which blu-ray to get?
i need it blu-ray region free of course, i know the Oppo needs a chip which i know where to get. i already know about the momitsu and all that.
i live in Australia.

but which is more reliable, better output-quality etc

i should mention i already own a region B sony blu-ray player from 2008 which cant be modded.

so it either the Sherwood or Oppo
which one of these two should I buy ?

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,366 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 23 2010 - 02:43 AM

From my personal experience, I would get the Sherwood as it has played BRD and SD DVDS flawlessly, no matter which region they come from.  You might have to change the code every now and then to play a particular BRD region, but overall it's an excellent player at a very reasonable price.

Read these two linked threads for more information.

http://www.hometheat...erwood-bdp-5004

http://www.hometheat...pal-ntsc-player

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,552 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 23 2010 - 11:47 AM

If you are looking for the new player to be region free also, then probably the Sherwood.  If not, the Oppos are excellent players and they have fantastic customer service, so I'd definitely recommend them.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein