What's new

PR: McCloud Season 1 - Australian Release (1 Viewer)

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Any word on Season 6 from Madmen? The series has been completed in Europe but I'd rather stick with Madmen so everything looks the same on the shelf.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I recently contacted Madman and was told they are evaluating more McCloud sets, but no final decision has been made.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Jeff Willis said:
      Quote:
Thanks for the info.  I also have the lone R1 release but am considering getting all of these sets from one of the Australia online stores.
As for lack of furthrer R1 releaes, it could be an issue with clearance rights within the R1 region.   Sales also could be a reason, hard to say without inside contacts at Universal.

I do find it intersting that Shout has been able to pick up some of the series that Universal abandoned such as Adam-12 and Dragnet and complete the series. I suspect part of the reason is that Shout has a lower cost structure than Universal and has the ability to make money on fewer sales. I wonder if they will pick up any more of the Universal crime dramas that Universal abandoned.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I think it boils down to this. A new label if they wanted to do "McCloud" is caught in a bind about the fact that the first set was S1 and S2 together but WITHOUT the original 60 minute versions of the S1 episodes. So they could start with S3 and irritate fans who want R1 versions of the 60 minute S1 shows (which are in the R4 set) or they could start with S1 and be forced to do S2 again as well and risk seeing low sales because people would already have S2. The show's one R1 release I think has been the biggest stumbling block to seeing it picked up.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
That's true enough, but I think S!F could release the first season like Madman did and be successful with that. Once that's out (of the way) just pick up with season 3, etc.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
But keep in mind, not every potential buyer of TV on DVD is savvy about the history of "McCloud" and would understand why there needs to be another S1 release but not another S2 release. If they do just a S1 and then a S3 comes out, you'll get buyers, especially retailers, asking why there isn't a S2.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
I would want the proper S1 release like they have in R4.
I'd pay the extra for that set, and pick up the R1 season 1&2 set cheap enough
that i'd just replace my own S1 discs in the set. It's really a shame when these
great series get messed up on dvd. It makes you wonder if the companies
know about this stuff, and make the calculation they don't care, of if they are
just oblivious, and miss it altogether.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
There are lots of different options Shout could do regarding MCCLOUD. However, I would prefer that they release Season 3 before re-doing Season 1. At least that way we would have Season 3. They probably would not do it but really you could release MCCLOUD Like this:
1st Shout Release MCCLOUD Seasons 1 , 2 and 3 Season 1 only had The Pilot TV Movie and 6 1 Hour Episodes. Season 2 had 7 90 minute episodes. Season 3 only had 5 episodes with I believe 3 at 90 minutes and 2 at 2 Hours. This isn't much more content than releasing a whole Season of Kojak around 24 1 hour episodes, for example
2nd Shout Release MCCLOUD Seasons 4 and 5 Season 4 had 5 episodes and Season 5 had 9 episodes.
3rd Shout Release MCCLOUD Seasons 6 AND 7 Season 6 had 7 episodes I believe and Season 7 had 6 Episodes. Bonus The Return Of Sam MCCLOUD TV MOVIE
Also remember that Shout released Ironside and I know Ironside Season 1 had 28 hour long episodes and the 2 Hour Pilot Movie. I don't believe any of the "COMBINED MCCLOUD SEASONS SETS" I proposed would have as many hours as the Ironside Season 1 set. I wish MCCLOUD would be released soon in its entirety on DVD!
God Bless!
Robert

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MCCLOUD said:
There are lots of different options Shout could do regarding MCCLOUD. However, I would prefer that they release Season 3 before re-doing Season 1. At least that way we would have Season 3. They probably would not do it but really you could release MCCLOUD Like this:
1st Shout Release MCCLOUD Seasons 1 , 2 and 3 Season 1 only had The Pilot TV Movie and 6 1 Hour Episodes. Season 2 had 7 90 minute episodes. Season 3 only had 5 episodes with I believe 3 at 90 minutes and 2 at 2 Hours. This isn't much more content than releasing a whole Season of Kojak around 24 1 hour episodes, for example
2nd Shout Release MCCLOUD Seasons 4 and 5 Season 4 had 5 episodes and Season 5 had 9 episodes.
3rd Shout Release MCCLOUD Seasons 6 AND 7 Season 6 had 7 episodes I believe and Season 7 had 6 Episodes. Bonus The Return Of Sam MCCLOUD TV MOVIE
Also remember that Shout released Ironside and I know Ironside Season 1 had 28 hour long episodes and the 2 Hour Pilot Movie. I don't believe any of the "COMBINED MCCLOUD SEASONS SETS" I proposed would have as many hours as the Ironside Season 1 set. I wish MCCLOUD would be released soon in its entirety on DVD!
God Bless!
Robert
I am with you on McCloud. Personally, I would prefer if they released a complete series set with the Return tv movie as a bonus. Given that Universal released the first two seasons on DVD and they are still in print, I do not know if they will license those seasons to someone else, but they might allow them in a complete series package like they did with Leave it to Beaver. Other than that, your suggestions make sense. I just hope that Shout picks it up.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
FanCollector said:
I recently contacted Madman and was told they are evaluating more McCloud sets, but no final decision has been made.
Thanks for the info. I hope Madman finishes the series. I'd hate to go a different rout this close to finishing the series.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
They once told me they'd be continuing McCloud, that was some time ago now but I sense their intention is indeed to finish it if possible.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got the sense that they would like to finish also. The person I contacted said that there has been some sales decline in the Universal titles that they attribute to competition from some rerun-oriented TV stations showing a lot of those shows. He told me they would be finishing McMillan and continuing Alfred Hitchcock Presents. McCloud and Quincy are possible...they would like to finish them, but are evaluating sales. Switch, which was scheduled, is off--the elements were lost in the Universal fire. The 35mm originals are intact, but too expensive to transfer. They searched Europe for a set of usable masters, but found none. On the other hand, I was told they found a set for The Law and Harry McGraw, and they will be releasing that series this year.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
FanCollector said:
Switch, which was scheduled, is off--the elements were lost in the Universal fire. The 35mm originals are intact, but too expensive to transfer. They searched Europe for a set of usable masters, but found none.
WHOA! This is news I wasn't expecting to hear and it's very disheartening if that's the case. I wanted to see this make it to DVD especially with "It Takes A Thief" now out.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Same here, Jack! I actually contacted Madman mostly about Switch, as it was the one promised title they had not yet released. I suppose our only hope now is to convince a national cable outlet to air the series, making it worth someone's while to transfer the 35mm masters.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There had been an item from TV Shows On DVD over a year ago about E1 planning on this title for R1 release.
I'm frankly stunned because the show had TV Land exposure for some time and as such you would think would have been a title where more than one set of tape masters existed.
Ah well, that's one boot set (with episodes totally out of sequence) I'll have to maintain longer than I would have liked.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Did Switch air on TvLand? I thought it was last seen on various satellite outlets in the 90s, making it so much rarer. If it did air on TvLand, I am surprised at both the lack of additional masters and the low quality of the set to which you refer.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was seeing episodes on TV Land as late as 2001 since I can remember episodes airing at the time of the 9/11 attacks. That in fact was really my first major introduction to the show though as I recall TV Land only aired on weekends as part of their "Crimestoppers" series on Saturdays and Sundays (which is also when we'd see shows like "Burke's Law", "Honey West", "Cade's County" and "Judd For The Defense")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks