What's new

Garbage Disposal Recommendation? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The one we have is original to the house, which means it's kinda crappy. Noisy and takes forever to do that job. Even when I think it has done the job, it hasn't. We've got this scamp of cat, Norman, who likes to dig in the disposal and if he finds something, it ends up on the floor

I will run the disposal a couple of minutes with just strawberry leaves and trimming, not a big load, and later find a leaf on the floor.

So I'm looking for a recommendation for a quality disposal. One that does the job quickly, thoroughly, and quietly.

BTW, is replacing a disposal an easy job, something a klutz like me can do? Are the fixtures and what not, standard or are there different sink opening?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I replaced one myself. There are two main parts: the part that sits in the sink, which you install from the top down with some plumbers putty; and then the main unit which you attach from the bottom. You may also have to rejigger the pipes that go out to the trap.
It was the medium-high-end Kenmore (bought at OSH). It went kaput about a year or two after the five-year warranty ran out. (It wasn't jammed, but the motor would hum but not turn.) I bought another of the equivalent model (trivial changes over the years) and had an easier time replacing it, since I only had to swap out the bottom. It's heavy, so you can use something to kind of prop it up as close as possible.

It's hardly "whisper quiet" but a lot quieter than the old one it replaced. And it works well (until it dies). As I recall, there's just the one size, so unless the sink is ancient....

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
So you turn it on by using the cover? That must cut down on the noise a lot.

It's interesting how the technology on such things advances during the years you endure using the crappy model you've already got. Saves money though.

Did you put it in yourself?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I took the lazy way out and hired someone to install it. I'm really a klutz when it comes to stuff like that. It is quiet and I think it would still be quiet if it ran without the stopper on it.

It has a 7 year in-house warranty. Insinkerator will come to the house to repair it for the full 7 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks