Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Toy Story 2: Special Edition

Blu-ray Reviews

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,189 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 18 2010 - 02:35 PM

#2 of 21 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,247 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:16 PM

Thanks, Matt.  Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln!  That sounds...terrific!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 21 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,247 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:21 PM

And a 1080p trailer for Beauty and the Beast!?!

Nice!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#4 of 21 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,422 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

And a 1080p trailer for Beauty and the Beast!?!

Nice!
That was on Princess and Frog also, in addition to a teaser for the next Disney animated feature, looks like it will be Rapunzel.

facebook.com/whotony

#5 of 21 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:48 PM

Quote:
Things do take a momentary pause, of course, for that rapturous sequence in which Jessie (Joan Cusack, singing voice of Sarah McLachlan) relates the affecting story of her previous life with owner Emily through the moving Randy Newman song “When She Loved Me.” Matched only in poignance with the pantomime sequence of the love affair and marriage in Up, this is Toy Story 2 at its zenith, firing on all cylinders.
I had forgotten about that scene.  It is fantastic.

#6 of 21 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts

Posted March 18 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hey Mike- I get this odd sensation that you might like the toy story films.  You should give them a spin

#7 of 21 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,247 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 19 2010 - 01:28 AM

Quote:
 ...that rapturous sequence in which Jessie (Joan Cusack, singing voice of Sarah McLachlan) relates the affecting story of her previous life with owner Emily through the moving Randy Newman song “When She Loved Me.” Matched only in poignance with the pantomime sequence of the love affair and marriage in Up, this is Toy Story 2 at its zenith, firing on all cylinders.
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich [url=/forum/thread/299047/htf-blu-ray-review-toy-story-2-special-edition#post_3672074]  So powerful. 

#8 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,846 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 19 2010 - 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon [url=/forum/thread/299047/htf-blu-ray-review-toy-story-2-special-edition#post_3672137]
Wow, somehow I missed it before now.  That's a lovely story.  :)

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 21 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,824 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 19 2010 - 03:58 AM

That's a wonderful story, Mike. I missed it before, as well. Thank you for sharing.

I am really looking forward to this release, along with the original. TS2 is my favorite Pixar film, and that is saying a lot, considering the amazing output from this studio.

#10 of 21 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,525 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 19 2010 - 04:49 AM

I had read the wedding story from an earlier thread and just read it again.  Good thing men don't wear mascara, otherwise I'd have to re-do it.  Now I'll be thinking "Don't let go" when I watch TS2 again.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#11 of 21 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 05:28 AM

I missed that as well.  Incredibly well written and heartfelt.  Makes me look at my 4yo who is already growing up too fast and think about the last few years.  Great, now I am in a melancholy mood. Thanks for putting up with us in your review thread Matt....Its interesting how there is no real discussion about the film itself so far, but more about its impact.  Its almost as if there doesn't need to be....its that good.

#12 of 21 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 19 2010 - 05:32 AM

What they said. First I've seen that. Great Story Mike. I was afraid to go to the theater for TS/TS2 3D because of that scene. I survived without completely losing it, but just barely.

#13 of 21 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,247 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 19 2010 - 08:31 AM

Thanks, everybody.

That's just one of the many reasons (probably #1) that these films are so special to me. 

I've also always known that toys come to life when you leave the room... 

The best thing Pixar did to start their work on feature films is find a subject that worked perfectly for their animation skills at the time...and realize Walt Disney's axiom that a successful movie is simply (yet really not-so-simply) a good story, well-told. 

#14 of 21 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,824 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 20 2010 - 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Frezon 

and realize Walt Disney's axiom that a successful movie is simply (yet really not-so-simply) a good story, well-told. 
This, to me, is the key to Pixar's success. Their characters and storytelling, more than just the stellar animation, are what makes their films so special. Every time I watch a Pixar film, I am amazed at the creative talent of the studio.

#15 of 21 OFFLINE   Brian Borst

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted March 21 2010 - 04:54 AM

Can anyone tell me if the background of Buzz's speech is still the American flag in this version? The International version (in cinemas, vhs and dvd) had a spinning globe, and supposedly the region B version had the globe as well. I just want to make sure the American Blu still has the star spangled banner.

Never go out with anyone who thinks Fellini is a type of cheese

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection

#16 of 21 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,189 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 21 2010 - 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Brian Borst 

Can anyone tell me if the background of Buzz's speech is still the American flag in this version? The International version (in cinemas, vhs and dvd) had a spinning globe, and supposedly the region B version had the globe as well. I just want to make sure the American Blu still has the star spangled banner.

Yes, it's the American flag in this version as I recall, and the international version moment is in the bonus features.

#17 of 21 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 21 2010 - 11:50 PM

Anybody think there's a possibility of TS 1 & 2 BDs being packaged together in the nearish future? No DVDs I mean. And in one case. Perhaps with TS3. Those who can recall the many past repackagings of TS1 & 2 might have some speculative insight... Where I'm coming from is trying to decide if I ought to take advantage of some of the offers available on the new releases, many of which are only good for a few days around here. Or does the Disney family seem quite committed to including a DVD with their BDs these days? Thanks.

#18 of 21 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,019 posts

Posted March 22 2010 - 04:14 AM

Anybody think there's a possibility of TS 1 & 2 BDs being packaged together in the nearish future? No DVDs I mean. And in one case. Perhaps with TS3. Those who can recall the many past repackagings of TS1 & 2 might have some speculative insight... Where I'm coming from is trying to decide if I ought to take advantage of some of the offers available on the new releases, many of which are only good for a few days around here. Or does the Disney family seem quite committed to including a DVD with their BDs these days? Thanks.  
No idea if they will have a box set.  I kind of doubt it.  They are including DVDs with the BDs on most of their animated titles with an eye towards portable and car DVD players.  I don't think there will be a BD only release anytime soon.

#19 of 21 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted March 22 2010 - 04:19 AM

^ Thanks. I decided to order TS and TS2 BD/DVD combo packages from the UK. Under $23 shipped for both. Plenty cheap enough I won't "worry" about the DVDs, which are R2 and I can't play in my main system anyway, should I get deranged and speculate they might be superior...

#20 of 21 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,846 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 22 2010 - 06:40 AM

I get the feeling that The Princess and the Frog was a test case, since there was a separate BD-only edition.  That's a rarity (possibly unique) among Disney animation releases.

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users