What's new

HERE'S LUCY: SEASON 3 - JUNE 15TH, 2010 (1 Viewer)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
It's true! It's on MPI's web site. Here are the bonus features. They are including the very rare appearance Lucy did for "Make Room for Granddaddy"!!!!

Bonus FeaturesNew Video Episode Introductions by Lucie Arnaz & Desi Arnaz, Jr.
Featurette: Here‘s Lucy‘s Uncle Harry
Let‘s Talk To Lucy - lost interview with Vivian Vance
Lucy & Jack Benny
Lucie & Desi Jr. Sing
Lucy Guest Stars on Make Room For Granddaddy as Lucille Carter
Treasures From Lucy‘s Vault: (Lucy Blooper Reel* Lucy‘s Hawaiian Home Movies * Behind The Scenes - On The Set)
Here‘s Lucy Slide Show
Series Production Files
Syndication Promos

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Great News! I've been pacing Season 2 and planning to make it last till the end of May so this will be perfect timing.

SnowBrian

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian McMann
Robert13: Where did you find the info on MPI's website? I looked but couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I am glad to hear this series is continuing. Here's Lucy Seasons 1 and 2 were great. The price has been very reasonable for these sets, too.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by SnowBrian

You kinda have to fish around for it. It's not posted yet on their upcoming releases but on their extended list.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Season Three is a huge turnaround for the program. The return of writer Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll Jr. to the Lucy fold improves the series by leaps and bounds. The first two seasons have their chuckle moments, but for the most part it's been like watching paint dry. Lucy Meets the Burtons really sets the tone for the remainder of the series.

PopCultureWhore

Auditioning
Real Name
The Whore
They're really acting quickly with these sets! If only some of our other favorites could be released in the same fashion.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by PopCultureWhore

They're really acting quickly with these sets! If only some of our other favorites could be released in the same fashion.
I agree. For example, "The Lucy Show" which, so far, is only getting 1 release a year. At this rate, it will be 4 more years before we get that series complete. And we haven't even heard an official announcement for the supposed July 13 date yet.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brandon Gantt

Lucy Meets the Burtons really sets the tone for the remainder of the series.
This episode was a partial remake of the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky are handcuffed together.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Originally Posted by Garysb

This episode was a partial remake of the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky are handcuffed together.
I remember when this episode was originally on, forty years ago.

In 1964, Lucy's longtime writers Madelyn Pugh Martin Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr. quit her, basically in anger and frustration.

She then hired a new bunch of writers who really didn't know how to write for her.

When Richard Burton showed interest in appearing on "Here's Lucy," Lucy more or less begged her former writers to produce a script of better quality than the stuff she'd been doing for the past six years.

They agreed, and while it was better than the "Here's Lucy" average, it showed how destitute for ideas they were by reusing the shtick from the "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy and Ricky were handcuffed together.

Lucy then talked Madelyn and Bob to writing one third of the scripts for the remaining three seasons of her series. While they don't reach the depths of blandness and stupidity of the worst of "Here's Lucy," there's nothing very good about them, either. It's clear that Madelyn and Bob's strength was coming up with situations and visual humor; they weren't good at the funny lines that the other "I Love Lucy" writers (Oppenheimer, Schiller and Weiskopf) provided.

Adding these substandard scripts to the sad facts that Lucy's voice had lost all its flexibility, and that she could no longer make her great facial expressions because her skin was taped behind her ears (because she couldn't get a facelift), and that she had her cousin produce the show and her clueless husband executive produce it, the result is one of the most disappointing series in TV history.

I'm still getting it on DVD, though. I'm not sure why I am, but I am.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Maybe it's because this show was the prime time Lucy of my childhood, or maybe because I admire Lucie Arnaz and Desi, Jr., but for whatever reason, I still enjoy Here's Lucy. It's not I Love Lucy, but it's not as dumb as those later The Lucy Show episodes either. It is more situation comedy, something almost completely dead on network television today. I continue to watch it and enjoy it. I'll miss Desi, Jr in the later seasons, but I'll still buy. Count me in as one glad MPI continues to release this sitcom.

And I'll buy Desi, Sr.'s The Mother's-In-Law as well when that one comes out!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
As far as "dumbness" goes, there are several episodes of "Here's Lucy" that equal (or top) anything on the later "Lucy Show" for jaw-dropping stupidity. How about the one where they move to Africa and have a gorilla butler?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Those kind of dumb plots remind me of the dump plots of many an episode of "Alice" in years to come (Vera believes George Burns really is God because she takes everything from movies literally) in which Madelyn and Bob if I'm not mistaken, did most of the writing.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

As far as "dumbness" goes, there are several episodes of "Here's Lucy" that equal (or top) anything on the later "Lucy Show" for jaw-dropping stupidity. How about the one where they move to Africa and have a gorilla butler?

Haven't seen that one yet, but will say that what I've seen from Season 1 and 2, though far from brilliant, surpasses the guest star plots and lack of continuity of the later seasons of The Lucy Show.

Perhaps "dumb" was an unfortunate word choice, but for me at least, plots in sitcoms are more fun when they start out with a certain amount of believability. You are right Joe, I certainly would not find a gorilla butler in Africa or anywhere else believable.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Corrected list of extras for this release, per MPI:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Heres-Lucy-Season-3-Extras/13560

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have always thought it was a shame that Lucille Ball was really never accepted on TV as anything other than the "Lucy" character from "I Love Lucy". When she tried other things like her specials after "Here's Lucy" they were not well received. The special "Lucy Calls the President" which is being released tomorrow is probably her most successful post "Here's Lucy" special. Again she is still playing the Lucy character but with a living husband for the first time since " I Love Lucy". It was also Vivian Vance's last show with Lucy. As has been said elsewhere it is a shame she wouldn't or couldn't do something like the Golden Girls in the 1980's. I believe she didn't think it was wholesome enough. Time and the public's taste sadly passed her by.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
It really is a shame, because she would have been very good in a Golden Girls-type show. It's unbelievable that in 1986, at the age of 75, she could only come up with another variation on the Lucy-Mr.Mooney/Uncle Harry thing. It was old hat even back in the 1960s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks