Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HERE'S LUCY: SEASON 3 - JUNE 15TH, 2010

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 03:41 PM

Amazon is currently listing June 15th, 2010 as the release date for Here's Lucy: Season 3.

http://www.amazon.co...68797503&sr=8-6
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#2 of 49 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 17 2010 - 01:55 AM

It's true! It's on MPI's web site. Here are the bonus features. They are including the very rare appearance Lucy did for "Make Room for Granddaddy"!!!!

Bonus Features

New Video Episode Introductions by Lucie Arnaz & Desi Arnaz, Jr.
Featurette: Here‘s Lucy‘s Uncle Harry
Let‘s Talk To Lucy - lost interview with Vivian Vance 
Lucy & Jack Benny
Lucie & Desi Jr. Sing
Lucy Guest Stars on Make Room For Granddaddy as Lucille Carter
Treasures From Lucy‘s Vault:  (Lucy Blooper Reel* Lucy‘s Hawaiian Home Movies * Behind The Scenes - On The Set) 
Here‘s Lucy Slide Show
Series Production Files
Syndication Promos

#3 of 49 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,606 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted March 17 2010 - 12:12 PM

GREAT news!  I am so enjoying these sets.  MPI is hitting them outta the ballpark.

#4 of 49 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted March 18 2010 - 03:50 AM

Great News! I've been pacing Season 2 and planning to make it last till the end of May so this will be perfect timing.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#5 of 49 OFFLINE   SnowBrian

SnowBrian

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 20 2010 - 08:21 AM

Robert13: Where did you find the info on MPI's website?  I looked but couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.

#6 of 49 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 631 posts

Posted March 20 2010 - 10:01 AM

I am glad to hear this series is continuing. Here's Lucy Seasons 1 and 2 were great. The price has been very reasonable for these sets, too.

#7 of 49 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted March 20 2010 - 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SnowBrian 

Robert13: Where did you find the info on MPI's website?  I looked but couldn't find any mention of it anywhere.
Here's the link: http://www.mpihomevi...sp?ProdID=10645

You kinda have to fish around for it. It's not posted yet on their upcoming releases but on their extended list.

#8 of 49 OFFLINE   Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 02:10 PM

Season Three is a huge turnaround for the program. The return of writer Madelyn Davis and Bob Carroll Jr. to the Lucy fold improves the series by leaps and bounds. The first two seasons have their chuckle moments, but for the most part it's been like watching paint dry.  Lucy Meets the Burtons really sets the tone for the remainder of the series.

#9 of 49 OFFLINE   victoria01

victoria01

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted March 31 2010 - 02:13 PM

It is really.

#10 of 49 OFFLINE   PopCultureWhore

PopCultureWhore

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 06:56 AM

They're really acting quickly with these sets! If only some of our other favorites could be released in the same fashion.

#11 of 49 OFFLINE   Robert13

Robert13

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by PopCultureWhore 

They're really acting quickly with these sets! If only some of our other favorites could be released in the same fashion.

I agree. For example, "The Lucy Show" which, so far, is only getting 1 release a year. At this rate, it will be 4 more years before we get that series complete. And we haven't even heard an official announcement for the supposed July 13 date yet.

#12 of 49 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon Gantt 

Lucy Meets the Burtons really sets the tone for the remainder of the series.
This episode was a partial remake of the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky are handcuffed together.

#13 of 49 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted April 02 2010 - 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Garysb 

This episode was a partial remake of the I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky are handcuffed together.

I remember when this episode was originally on, forty years ago.

In 1964, Lucy's longtime writers Madelyn Pugh Martin Davis and Bob Carroll, Jr. quit her, basically in anger and frustration.

She then hired a new bunch of writers who really didn't know how to write for her.

When Richard Burton showed interest in appearing on "Here's Lucy," Lucy more or less begged her former writers to produce a script of better quality than the stuff she'd been doing for the past six years.

They agreed, and while it was better than the "Here's Lucy" average, it showed how destitute for ideas they were by reusing the shtick from the "I Love Lucy" episode where Lucy and Ricky were handcuffed together.

Lucy then talked Madelyn and Bob to writing one third of the scripts for the remaining three seasons of her series.  While they don't reach the depths of blandness and stupidity of the worst of "Here's Lucy," there's nothing very good about them, either.  It's clear that Madelyn and Bob's strength was coming up with situations and visual humor; they weren't good at the funny lines that the other "I Love Lucy" writers (Oppenheimer, Schiller and Weiskopf) provided.

Adding these substandard scripts to the sad facts that Lucy's voice had lost all its flexibility, and that she could no longer make her great facial expressions because her skin was taped behind her ears (because she couldn't get a facelift), and that she had her cousin produce the show and her clueless husband executive produce it, the result is one of the most disappointing series in TV history.

I'm still getting it on DVD, though.  I'm not sure why I am, but I am.

#14 of 49 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 01:27 AM

Maybe it's because this show was the prime time Lucy of my childhood, or maybe because I admire Lucie Arnaz and Desi, Jr., but for whatever reason, I still enjoy Here's Lucy.  It's not I Love Lucy, but it's not as dumb as those later The Lucy Show episodes either.  It is more situation comedy, something almost completely dead on network television today.  I continue to watch it and enjoy it.  I'll miss Desi, Jr in the later seasons, but I'll still buy.  Count me in as one glad MPI continues to release this sitcom.

And I'll buy Desi, Sr.'s The Mother's-In-Law as well when that one comes out!

#15 of 49 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 03:11 AM

As far as "dumbness" goes, there are several episodes of "Here's Lucy" that equal (or top) anything on the later "Lucy Show" for jaw-dropping stupidity.  How about the one where they move to Africa and have a gorilla butler?

#16 of 49 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,441 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 07:26 AM

Those kind of dumb plots remind me of the dump plots of many an episode of "Alice" in years to come (Vera believes George Burns really is God because she takes everything from movies literally) in which Madelyn and Bob if I'm not mistaken, did most of the writing.

#17 of 49 OFFLINE   Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

• 330 posts

Posted April 03 2010 - 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff 

As far as "dumbness" goes, there are several episodes of "Here's Lucy" that equal (or top) anything on the later "Lucy Show" for jaw-dropping stupidity.  How about the one where they move to Africa and have a gorilla butler?

Haven't seen that one yet, but will say that what I've seen from Season 1 and 2, though far from brilliant, surpasses the guest star plots and lack of continuity of the later seasons of The Lucy Show.

Perhaps "dumb" was an unfortunate word choice, but for me at least, plots in sitcoms are more fun when they start out with a certain amount of believability.  You are right Joe, I certainly would not find a gorilla butler in Africa or anywhere else believable.

#18 of 49 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 07:11 AM

Corrected list of extras for this release, per MPI:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Heres-Lucy-Season-3-Extras/13560

DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#19 of 49 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 07:30 AM

I have always thought it was a shame that Lucille Ball was really never accepted on TV as anything other than the "Lucy" character from "I Love Lucy". When she tried other things like her specials after "Here's Lucy" they were not well received. The special "Lucy Calls the President" which is being released tomorrow is probably her most successful post "Here's Lucy" special. Again she is still playing the Lucy character but with a living husband for the first time since " I Love Lucy". It was also Vivian Vance's last show with Lucy.  As has been said elsewhere it is a shame she wouldn't or couldn't do something like the Golden Girls in the 1980's. I believe she didn't think it was wholesome enough. Time and the public's taste sadly passed her by.

#20 of 49 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted April 05 2010 - 04:18 PM

It really is a shame, because she would have been very good in a Golden Girls-type show.  It's unbelievable that in 1986, at the age of 75, she could only come up with another variation on the Lucy-Mr.Mooney/Uncle Harry thing.  It was old hat even back in the 1960s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users