What's new

No Audio with HDMI.... Any Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
I have finally got the Theater set up and have hooked up my 32" samsung in the poker room that is adjacent via HDMI. I purchased a 4way powered HDMI Splitter from monoprice that is supposed to hold up to 7.1 audio as well. The HDMI was purchased through Monoprice also and is 50' in length.I am receiving a great picture.... but no sound!!!

I have everything running through my Yamaha Receiver and then the Output HDMI connection(From the Receiver) running to my powered splitter to the Other TV and Projector. Seeing I am receiving the Picture.... Shouldn't I also be receiving the sound? Or is the Receiver blocking it for some reason, or am I missing something? I know the speakers are working properly on the Samsung because I checked them... and they sounded good. What else is there?

I hope someone can tell me what to do, but at least I put 2 ceiling speakers that will work off of Zone 2 on the receiver to give the sound, but was hoping to have the Sound from the TV as well.

Thanks for your input...
Chris (aka-Sparks)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I doubt this is the answer but it's the first thing that needs to be asked. Is your receiver compatible with HDMI audio? Some are video "switchers" only. By the looks of your Home Theater I'd be willing to bet you bought a receiver that does support HDMI audio but as I said, it has to be question # 1.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
What brand and model number is your receiver?

Did you go into the source's setup menus, and set them to output audio over HDMI, along with the video? HDMI is set up correctly, in the receiver's set up menus, to output audio. I guess you assigned the HDMI inputs you used, since you're getting video..........

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Chris,

You didn't say *which* speakers aren't working. If I'm reading your post right, it seems that you may be referring to the speakers in the TV, but I'm not absolutely certain.

At any rate, some AVRs have an option to either decode the HDMI audio and send it to their own speakers, or to pass the HDMI audio through to the display device and silence their own speakers. You can select one or the other option in the AVR's internal menu, but not both simultaneously. Other AVRs always do only one or the other and are not selectable.

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Well I am not sitting in front of my receiver right now, but it is a Yamaha xv-863 i'm pretty sure that the number. From what I am seeing here I probably can't get both sound in the theater and on the TV Speakers through the HDMI. It looks like you can either get it through the av hookups or send it through the HDMI cable from what I am reading.

If anyone has any other suggestions just say and I will listen. I am still looking at it, but have just had way too much going on to mess with the settings so far. I hope someone has some suggestions or better news anyways.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Chris

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Chris,

That's a common HDMI audio configuration limitation. My Marantz receiver works the same way.

I suspect that in order to get simultaneous audio from both TV and audio system, you'll have to use a different type of audio connection to the receiver when sending HDMI audio to the TV. E.g. coax or optical digital audio.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Zone 2 audio is typically analog only and in stereo only in order to be used simultaneously.

chrisdoha

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Varghese
Hi

From what ive been able to infer im guessin, you want audio from your TV as well as your home theatre rite? Actualy I too wanted this option cos I dint wanna use my external speakers for casual TV viewing. Anyways I have an Onkyo TX SR707 and in the setup menu, deep inside I get an option if you want audio out thru hdmi. So the option is available, bt nt feasible to always keep goin deep inside ur receiver setup menus jus to get audio from TV. So ive chucked the idea and use home theatre speakers fr viewing pretty much anything.

So this option should be ther on the yamaha receiver as well...not sure tho...bt definately ther on the Onkyo.

I have the same issue with my Sony STR-DH500, it seems as a Technology limitation, in order for me to get the Audio, I had to connect an Optic cable from the HDTV to the Receiver SAT Optic Input, but that only solved the sound issue for the TV/SAT. I had to reconnect my other HDMI devices directly to the HDTV so now I have to select my HDMI input selections through the TV (I guess is not that bad), I guess that maybe a more expensive receive will work? I can't believe that Playback (Video/Sound) on HDMI is not automatic and the receiver doesn't have a respective Optic input for every HDMI connection, just one for the SAT.

I guess the technology is not there yet? I would like to hear from someone being able to Playback Video/Sound through an HDMI cable without connecting any other cable? !

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Up through HDMI v1.3, the audio and video signals are uni-directional. Typically one is expected to connect all HDMI input devices to an AVR and run a single HDMI cable to the display device. If you need to get audio from a TV's internal tuner, you have to run a digital audio cable from the TV to the AVR.

An audio "back channel" was added as part of HDMI v1.4. It requires an HDMI V1.4 TV, an HDMI V1.4 AVR and an HDMI cable which includes ethernet (although the audio does not itself go over ethernet).

The least expensive AVRs do not include HDMI audio decoding. They can only act as HDMI video switches. The licenses and hardware needed in order to decode the audio add to the cost of the AVR, raising their MSRPs up to about $400.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The Sony STR-DH500 isn't capable of handling audio over HDMI. It says so on Sony's site. I made the info bolder, in their quote.

Get versatile HD connection options with five HD inputs. Three HDMI™ inputs (up to 1080/60p capable) let you connect a Sony® PlayStation® 3 entertainment system, Blu-ray Disc™ player, or any other HDMI-capable equipment and get uncompressed digital video (secondary cable needed for audio).

I guess the technology is not there yet? I would like to hear from someone being able to Playback Video/Sound through an HDMI cable without connecting any other cable? !
The technology is there. You just need to do some homework before you buy. People want to get a receiver real cheap, but want it to do everything for that price. The cheapest costing receivers I know of, that do a lot for the money, is Onkyo receivers. If you want a receiver that does audio over HDMI, you want one that has HDMI v1.3a repeater, not HDMI "pass thru". Here is a very good one that does what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR607-7-2-Channel-Surround-Receiver/dp/B001VEI2KO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1271786035&sr=1-1

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If you're a Sony guy, the STR-DG720 is a good option, as it handles audio over HDMI, but HD audio (TrueHD, DTS HD MA) will need to be decoded internally by whatever BD player you use. Readily available almost anywhere for unde $200.

Great info and thanks for the notes, specially the bold letters. Im getting by with the Optics cable for now, but now I know for my next purchase. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks