Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The "I Can't Believe They Finished Releasing It" TV DVD Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 07:24 AM

Some faves of mine:
  • Columbo
  • Rockford Files
  • Bewitched
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Partridge Family
  • Brady Bunch
  • Emergency (Final release coming)
  • Flintstones
  • Starsky and Hutch
  • The Pretender
  • Ducktales
  • JAG
  • G.I. Joe (Final release coming)
  • Transformers (Final release coming)
  • Dukes of Hazzard

#2 of 17 ONLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,391 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted March 16 2010 - 10:04 AM

You might want to try TV on DVD and Blu-ray: Shows and TV Movies instead.

/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 10:37 AM

Adam. Did I miss something? This topic is already in that forum ... :P 

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,321 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 16 2010 - 11:16 AM

Not originally.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted March 16 2010 - 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post

Some faves of mine:

• Emergency (Final release coming)
  • Ducktales 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but DuckTales is actually only 75% done and is a stalled series (Volume 4 with the remaining 25 episodes was expected in the series' usual Fall release timeslot in 2008 but it never made it out). I also don't believe the movie was ever released in the United States (Moot point since the movie was available in Canada so it's easily acquired). 

And sadly, there are no signs that Disney has any plans to rectify this situation. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin are also stalled and are both less then 15 episodes away from being finished, having seen their last releases in the Fall of 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Also, Emergency! concluded it's run with 6 movies that were produced after season 6 ended and utilized most of the cast of the original show at various points (Although the Engine 51 crew is sadly absent besides in highlights in the retrospective show, but the Rampart doctors and Head Nurse Dixie McCall do make appearances along with Squard 51 of course). And they're as much a part of the series as any of the regular episodes were and this great program won't be finished until these excellent made for tv movies are hopefully made available on DVD in a year if Universal finishes it out. This one won't be finished until the spring of 2011 at the earliest.

A show that I'm surprised is out in it's entirety is Family Affair. Especially when superior and better remembered programs like My Three Sons were absent from DVD (Although that one is slowly trickling out in hacked apart form now, though I don't think anyone really expects to see it finished or even the B&W run to be completed). I also never thought Fraggle Rock would make it after there being no sign of any intentions of releasing it on DVD for so long. Once it started, it only took three years for it to get finished up.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,253 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted March 16 2010 - 11:32 AM

Taxi and Cheers immediately spring to mind.

Taxi was stalled, abandoned, and there was no hope for nearly four years. Then, season 4 was announced, and S5 got announced right before the S4 Release date, meaning we went from stalled at season 3 in August 2009 to the complete series released by Christmas '09. And, CBS/P found a way to keep "You Are The Sunshine" in the episode "Jim's Inheritance".

Cheers was like Taxi, but in a shorter timeframe. Abandoned in '06, started back up in '08, done by January '09.

And, there's Ally McBeal. One complete series release, all music intact, for a show everyone thought would never be released in the US because of music rights.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 02:02 PM

- That Girl
- Family Affair
- The Doris Day Show
- Hearts Afire

Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 16 2010 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but DuckTales is actually only 75% done and is a stalled series (Volume 4 with the remaining 25 episodes was expected in the series' usual Fall release timeslot in 2008 but it never made it out). I also don't believe the movie was ever released in the United States (Moot point since the movie was available in Canada so it's easily acquired). 

The Movie is only available through the Disney movie club.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 02:17 PM

Quote:
Rockford Files 
/img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

And shhhh don't tell anyone that I liked/watched/and now own all of
 Dukes of Hazzard (the movie sucked but the show and TV movies were great)
/img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted March 16 2010 - 03:28 PM

I didn't realize it was that limited and I'm not sure why I thought it recieved a Canadian release and not a US release. Regardless of the circumstances, it is available and not too hard to come by on sites like Amazon and eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich View Post

The Movie is only available through the Disney movie club.

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 03:31 PM

Leo, Emergency Season 6 is coming out soon and the movies will be released in 2011.

Adam, you're not the only one. I have all seven seasons of Dukes of Hazzard and I still love every season, even the fifth season. I also enjoyed the Dukes of Hazzard movie "The Beginning." While the Johnny Knoxville movie sucked. ;) 

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,917 posts

Posted March 16 2010 - 04:45 PM

Quote:
While the Johnny Knoxville movie sucked. ;) 

It was awful.  I have seen some bad movies, but this was one of the few where I wanted the two hours back.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   LeoA

LeoA

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts
  • LocationNorth Country

Posted March 17 2010 - 04:49 AM

I know, I was pointing out to you that it's not finished and said everything you just posted back to me. Even when season 6 arrives in a few weeks, it's still incorrect to list it as a completed series. 

We're a minimum of a year away from seeing it finished and many months away from even an announcement of a release for the movies. It potentially might never even make it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post

Leo, Emergency Season 6 is coming out soon and the movies will be released in 2011.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Lecagr

Lecagr

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 03:09 AM

I'm surprised The Doris Day Show came out on DVD at all, and in fact the show was completed. I almost bought these, but from what I read the episodes are sped up/time compressed versions. I don't want time compressed episodes, perhaps that's all MPI could get.

With Family Affair, as far as I can tell those shows are not time compressed with the exception of one episode, Room With A Viewpoint.

With season 6 of Emergency!, I consider the series completed because the movies represented a change in format and the original series was really over at that point. I don't care for the movies too much, I would have preferred them to continue with the series another season or two.

And I have to give a thank you to Shout Factory for FINALLY releasing season 2 of The Bill Cosby Show. At last this fine, underappreciated series will soon be complete on DVD.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,585 posts

Posted March 25 2010 - 04:31 AM

I'm pleasantly surprised that many shows in my personal collection have been completed.  Some of the bigger "I can't believe they completed this series" that come to mind include:

Daniel Boone
McHale's Navy
Dangerous Assignment
Adventures of Jim Bowie
Sgt. Preston

M Squad
Fury (R2 from Germany)
Road to Avonlea
Adventures of Robin Hood
Adventures of Sir Lancelot
The Buccaneers
Land of the Lost

Oh, forget it.  I could go on and on about shows I never thought would be come out at all, much less be completed.  There is much to be thankful for in that regard.  Fingers crossed that a few of my "holy grail" series that are stuck in limbo will make this list in the future.

Gary "really glad I'll be able to add LITB to the list in a few months" O.

"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 25 2010 - 05:14 AM

^^

Same here.  I wouldn't have guessed back in '03-04 that we'd get some of my top shows completed.....

A-Team
Bewitched
Battlestar Glactica (orig)
Buck Rogers/25th Century
Columbo (it's complete for me)
Combat!
Dick Van Dyke Show
Earth 2
I Dream Of Jeannie
Get Smart
Honey West
The Invaders
Jonny Quest
Mission:Impossible?
New Avengers
Outer Limits (orig)
Police Squad
Rat Patrol
Rockford Files
Star Trek TOS
Steve Canyon
Tabitha
Time Tunnel
Twilight Zone (orig)
Wanted Dead or Alive
Wild Wild West

And, some of my favorite miniseries as well

Band Of Brothers
The Bunker
Captains & Kings
Centennial
Holocaust
Masada
North & South
Roots
Shogun
Sinatra
"V"
War & Rememberance
Winds of War

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted March 26 2010 - 02:22 PM

Rockford Files is not quite done if you are waiting for the remaining 90's television films like I am.  Universal still has yet to announce volume 2 of the Rockford Files Movie Collection....until they do, I will consider it unfinished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha 

• Rockford Files 

Recently watched- Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"