What's new

The "I Can't Believe They Finished Releasing It" TV DVD Thread (1 Viewer)

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Some faves of mine:
  • Columbo
  • Rockford Files
  • Bewitched
  • I Dream of Jeannie
  • Partridge Family
  • Brady Bunch
  • Emergency (Final release coming)
  • Flintstones
  • Starsky and Hutch
  • The Pretender
  • Ducktales
  • JAG
  • G.I. Joe (Final release coming)
  • Transformers (Final release coming)
  • Dukes of Hazzard

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Adam. Did I miss something? This topic is already in that forum ... :p

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Originally Posted by kemcha

Some faves of mine:
  • Emergency (Final release coming)
  • Ducktales

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but DuckTales is actually only 75% done and is a stalled series (Volume 4 with the remaining 25 episodes was expected in the series' usual Fall release timeslot in 2008 but it never made it out). I also don't believe the movie was ever released in the United States (Moot point since the movie was available in Canada so it's easily acquired).

And sadly, there are no signs that Disney has any plans to rectify this situation. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers and TaleSpin are also stalled and are both less then 15 episodes away from being finished, having seen their last releases in the Fall of 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Also, Emergency! concluded it's run with 6 movies that were produced after season 6 ended and utilized most of the cast of the original show at various points (Although the Engine 51 crew is sadly absent besides in highlights in the retrospective show, but the Rampart doctors and Head Nurse Dixie McCall do make appearances along with Squard 51 of course). And they're as much a part of the series as any of the regular episodes were and this great program won't be finished until these excellent made for tv movies are hopefully made available on DVD in a year if Universal finishes it out. This one won't be finished until the spring of 2011 at the earliest.

A show that I'm surprised is out in it's entirety is Family Affair. Especially when superior and better remembered programs like My Three Sons were absent from DVD (Although that one is slowly trickling out in hacked apart form now, though I don't think anyone really expects to see it finished or even the B&W run to be completed). I also never thought Fraggle Rock would make it after there being no sign of any intentions of releasing it on DVD for so long. Once it started, it only took three years for it to get finished up.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Taxi and Cheers immediately spring to mind.

Taxi was stalled, abandoned, and there was no hope for nearly four years. Then, season 4 was announced, and S5 got announced right before the S4 Release date, meaning we went from stalled at season 3 in August 2009 to the complete series released by Christmas '09. And, CBS/P found a way to keep "You Are The Sunshine" in the episode "Jim's Inheritance".

Cheers was like Taxi, but in a shorter timeframe. Abandoned in '06, started back up in '08, done by January '09.

And, there's Ally McBeal. One complete series release, all music intact, for a show everyone thought would never be released in the US because of music rights.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but DuckTales is actually only 75% done and is a stalled series (Volume 4 with the remaining 25 episodes was expected in the series' usual Fall release timeslot in 2008 but it never made it out). I also don't believe the movie was ever released in the United States (Moot point since the movie was available in Canada so it's easily acquired).

The Movie is only available through the Disney movie club.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I didn't realize it was that limited and I'm not sure why I thought it recieved a Canadian release and not a US release. Regardless of the circumstances, it is available and not too hard to come by on sites like Amazon and eBay.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

The Movie is only available through the Disney movie club.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Leo, Emergency Season 6 is coming out soon and the movies will be released in 2011.

Adam, you're not the only one. I have all seven seasons of Dukes of Hazzard and I still love every season, even the fifth season. I also enjoyed the Dukes of Hazzard movie "The Beginning." While the Johnny Knoxville movie sucked. ;)

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I know, I was pointing out to you that it's not finished and said everything you just posted back to me. Even when season 6 arrives in a few weeks, it's still incorrect to list it as a completed series.

We're a minimum of a year away from seeing it finished and many months away from even an announcement of a release for the movies. It potentially might never even make it out.

Originally Posted by kemcha

Leo, Emergency Season 6 is coming out soon and the movies will be released in 2011.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I'm surprised The Doris Day Show came out on DVD at all, and in fact the show was completed. I almost bought these, but from what I read the episodes are sped up/time compressed versions. I don't want time compressed episodes, perhaps that's all MPI could get.

With Family Affair, as far as I can tell those shows are not time compressed with the exception of one episode, Room With A Viewpoint.

With season 6 of Emergency!, I consider the series completed because the movies represented a change in format and the original series was really over at that point. I don't care for the movies too much, I would have preferred them to continue with the series another season or two.

And I have to give a thank you to Shout Factory for FINALLY releasing season 2 of The Bill Cosby Show. At last this fine, underappreciated series will soon be complete on DVD.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm pleasantly surprised that many shows in my personal collection have been completed. Some of the bigger "I can't believe they completed this series" that come to mind include:

Daniel Boone
McHale's Navy
Dangerous Assignment
Adventures of Jim Bowie
Sgt. Preston

M Squad
Fury (R2 from Germany)
Road to Avonlea
Adventures of Robin Hood
Adventures of Sir Lancelot
The Buccaneers
Land of the Lost

Oh, forget it. I could go on and on about shows I never thought would be come out at all, much less be completed. There is much to be thankful for in that regard. Fingers crossed that a few of my "holy grail" series that are stuck in limbo will make this list in the future.

Gary "really glad I'll be able to add LITB to the list in a few months" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
^^

Same here. I wouldn't have guessed back in '03-04 that we'd get some of my top shows completed.....

A-Team
Bewitched
Battlestar Glactica (orig)
Buck Rogers/25th Century
Columbo (it's complete for me)
Combat!
Dick Van Dyke Show
Earth 2
I Dream Of Jeannie
Get Smart
Honey West
The Invaders
Jonny Quest
Mission:Impossible?
New Avengers
Outer Limits (orig)
Police Squad
Rat Patrol
Rockford Files
Star Trek TOS
Steve Canyon
Tabitha
Time Tunnel
Twilight Zone (orig)
Wanted Dead or Alive
Wild Wild West

And, some of my favorite miniseries as well

Band Of Brothers
The Bunker
Captains & Kings
Centennial
Holocaust
Masada
North & South
Roots
Shogun
Sinatra
"V"
War & Rememberance
Winds of War

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks