What's new

2010 Census (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you don't fill it out completely, though, a canvasser for the Census will probably swing by your home to try and get the rest of the information. At that point, just explain that you are refusing to answer further questions. IIRC they have a box to check for that. The most important thing is getting an accurate enumeration; if the number of people in the household as of April 2010 is correct, that's all they really care about because that's all that is constitutionally required. An accurate count is essential for properly apportioning House seats (and by extension, the Electoral College). The additional information is utilized for apportioning federal funding, so the more information you provide the better your local area will make out. I think it's only 10 questions this year.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm curious why someone wouldn't want to fill it out. It's not like it's personal and prying.

On the flip side, I was perturbed that they spent money and created tons of waste to send me a letter saying that they were going to send me a letter the following week (the census). What the heck was that about?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Al.Anderson

I'm curious why someone wouldn't want to fill it out. It's not like it's personal and prying.

On the flip side, I was perturbed that they spent money and created tons of waste to send me a letter saying that they were going to send me a letter the following week (the census). What the heck was that about?

They had a historically low response rate in 2000. The idea behind the letters is that the cost will be offset by any increased response rate driven by the advanced notification, since sending workers around for follow-up is much more expensive.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I've never gotten a census form in the mail. I've been filing federal taxes since the early 1980s, so you'd think they would know I exist.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
They had a historically low response rate in 2000. The idea behind the letters is that the cost will be offset by any increased response rate driven by the advanced notification, since sending workers around for follow-up is much more expensive.
So, since I received an advance notice and Adam didn't, what you're telling me is the US government thinks I'm a clueless slacker.

Okay, I'm good with that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

So, since I received an advance notice and Adam didn't, what you're telling me is the US government thinks I'm a clueless slacker.

Okay, I'm good with that.
Adam will probably just get his advance letter a couple weeks after the actual form arrives.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Chris Lockwood

I've never gotten a census form in the mail. I've been filing federal taxes since the early 1980s, so you'd think they would know I exist.

It's more likely that they don't know your address exists. When I was in my last apartment, the Census Bureau sent us a American Community Survey addressed to "Current Resident". If you want to get a form, call the bureau toll-fee at 1-866-872-6868 and give them your address. There's places you can pick them up in person, too, but don't ask me where 'cause I don't know.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I got the advanced letter as well. So did my sister. What a complete waste of money. I just put the number 1 in the question for how many live in the household, and left the rest blank.

Doug

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I just put the number 1 in the question for how many live in the household, and left the rest blank.
But why go out of your way to not provide the requested information? Seriously, I'm curious.

I could see a reasonable debate over the request for names; but including the ages is obviously helpful. (E.g., do we need schools or retirement homes, etc.)

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt ">[/url]

If you don't fill it out completely, though, a canvasser for the Census will probably swing by your home to try and get the rest of the information. At that point, just explain that you are refusing to answer further questions. IIRC they have a box to check for that. The most important thing is getting an accurate enumeration; if the number of people in the household as of April 2010 is correct, that's all they really care about because that's all that is constitutionally required. An accurate count is essential for properly apportioning House seats (and by extension, the Electoral College). The additional information is utilized for apportioning federal funding, so the more information you provide the better your local area will make out. I think it's only 10 questions this year.
[/QUOTE]

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

But why go out of your way to not provide the requested information? Seriously, I'm curious.

I could see a reasonable debate over the request for names; but including the ages is obviously helpful. (E.g., do we need schools or retirement homes, etc.)
Because they don't need to know any more information than how many people live in the house. And no I don't think the government should be in the school business. Public schools are a miserable failure, consuming the majority of State funds and should be eliminated.

Sorry I'll get off my soap box now.

Doug

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
Think of all the money that will be wasted by all the home visits that will have to be made because people didn't fill out the entire form.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

It's more likely that they don't know your address exists. When I was in my last apartment, the Census Bureau sent us a American Community Survey addressed to "Current Resident". If you want to get a form, call the bureau toll-fee at 1-866-872-6868 and give them your address. There's places you can pick them up in person, too, but don't ask me where 'cause I don't know.
Hmmm, I file federal tax returns, so they obviously have had my address all these years. I'm not going to track them down to do their job for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.