Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony DVD Recorder Connections

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   billVonr

billVonr

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 15 2010 - 08:53 AM

I'm having some connection issues and hope that somebody on this forum can help. I have a VCR & TV hook-up in a den that does not use a cable set-top box (since the TV is cable ready, I see no reason to pay for extra rental equipment).  I run the cable through the VCR (Coax IN from the wall, Coax OUT to the TV) so I can record TV programs if I want. A friend has asked me to record Formula One races for his son who has some disability challenges, and he has provided me with a DVD recorder (Sony GX257) for this purpose.  Since this model does not include a tuner, I am using my VCR for this purpose.  The connections are as follows: Coax Cable from the wall --> Coax IN on the VCR Coax Cable OUT from the VCR --> RF IN on the TV A/V Cables OUT from VCR --> A/V Cables IN to DVD Recorder A/V Cables OUT from DVD Recorder --> A/V Cables IN to TV Connections seem to work fine -- I can see the DVD Recorder from my TV (On Line 1 setting).  When I set the DVD Recorder timer to record the race Sunday, it didn't record -- rather, the DVD recorder shut down.  It appears there must be some kind of copy guard signal or connection involved with the SPEED channel, since I have no problem recording TV programs off the major networks with the DVD Recorder.  By the way, I've recorded previous SPEED channel races with my VCR without any problems. I suppose I could record the race first to a videotape in the VCR, then re-record it to a DVD, but that seems very inefficient.  Is there another type of equipment connection that could resolve this problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Billvonr