-

Photo
- - - - -

Shout Factory Press Release: Marcus Welby, M.D.: Season One

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted March 15 2010 - 08:12 AM

http://static.hometh...atar-60-9.jpg">

Schedule an appointment with the original family practice…

MARCUS WELBY, M.D.: SEASON ONE

Starring Golden Globe® and Primetime Emmy® Winners

Robert Young and James Brolin

Featuring All 26 Episodes from Season One, including a Rare Episode

Directed by Steven Spielberg and a Special Two-Hour Made-for-TV Movie,

All Collected in a Special 7-DVD Box Set

GOLDEN GLOBE® and EMMY®-WINNING DRAMA SERIES FINALLY ARRIVES ON DVD FOR THE FIRST TIME ON MAY 4, 2010

FROM SHOUT! FACTORY and NBC UNIVERSAL TELEVISION, DVD, MUSIC AND CONSUMER PRODUCTS GROUP

Posted Image

Santa MonicaCalifornia - March 15, 2010 - On May 4, 2010, Shout! Factory and the NBC Universal Television, DVD, Music and Consumer Products Group will bring classic television’s most popular and acclaimed medical drama to DVD withMARCUS WELBY, M.D.: SEASON ONE. Starring Robert Young as the kind and caring family practitioner Dr. Marcus Welby and James Brolin as the young, handsome motorcycle-riding associate Dr. Steven Kiley, MARCUS WELBY, M.D. was the highest rated and acclaimed medical drama on TV for an unbelievable seven consecutive seasons. In addition to series regular Golden Globe®-nominated actress Elena Verdugo, Young and Brolin are joined by a veritable list of notable guest stars including Anne Baxter, David Cassidy, Robert Guillaume, Vera Miles, Belinda Montgomery, Butch Patrick, Richard Thomas and many others.  Available for the first time on DVD, the collectible 7-DVD set of MARCUS WELBY, M.D.: SEASON ONEcontains all 26 memorable episodes, featuring a rare episode entitled The Daredevil Gesture, directed by Steve Spielberg, plus a rarely seen two-hour made-for-TV movie A Matter of Humanities which set the stage for this successful one-hour television series. A must-have for classic TV fans and collectors, MARCUS WELBY, M.D.: SEASON ONE 7-DVD box set is priced for everyone to own at $49.97.

Marcus Welby, M.D. aired on ABC from 1969–1976, earning it a top spot in the medical drama lexicon and paved ways for such popular hits asHouse, M.D.Grey’s Anatomy and Royal Pains. Robert Young plays Dr. Marcus Welby, a dedicated family physician who made house calls a priority in life. From week to week Welby was tasked with some of the most devastating disorders and serious situations an M.D. can face, but confronted them with a fierce honesty and dedicated compassion that made him a virtual superhero with a stethoscope. But he couldn’t do it alone. Enter Dr. Steven Kiley, portrayed by the strapping and very new James Brolin in his first regular television role. As any doctor will tell you, looks can be deceiving. The show mixed up the common formula, with the older and wiser Welby embracing the unorthodox treatments while the young gun, Kiley, had the straitlaced approach. The chemistry was electric, and the results were positively award-winning, as both actors earned Emmys®for their roles.

Bonus Feature:

Original 2-Hour Pilot Movie: “A Matter Of Humanities

Dr. Marcus Welby enlists the help of a young Doctor Steven Kiley to help run his Santa Monica practice.  Originally aired on March 26, 1969, thistwo-hour made-for-TV movie set the stage for the one-hour series that would be viewed regularly in about one of every four American homes that year. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 05 2010 - 05:08 AM

I picked up Season 1 of Marcus Welby M.D. at Best Buy yesterday, they had it for $34.99 which isn't too bad. I've never seen the show ever, so this is a total blind buy. I was gonna start it last nite, but fell behind and it contains the original 2 Hour pilot so I knew I needed more time to watch it. (also picked up Facts of Life Season 4)

The case the release is in kind of surprised me because I expected it to be a digibook type of style case. Instead it was in a clear thick standard type DVD case, which is fine.(I would think this case cuts cost) It holds all 7 Discs. I like the look of each disc and the design of the artwork of the case and booklet.

Hopefully the set sells well enough to get more seasons released.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,104 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 08:28 AM

Jack, are synopsis' for the two hour pilot and all first season episodes in the booklet?

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 05 2010 - 02:36 PM

Yes very brief synopsis for the pilot and each episode stating the original Air date Writer and Director. 

I just finished the pilot and I could spot a young Albert Brooks as a student at night with a girlfriend. He seems to have one line. I am 100% sure it was him. 

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 03:39 PM

Did you notice any problems with the audio on the pilot?    Because when I went through it last night, I noticed how the music seemed to drop to almost inaudible levels starting with the credits (even though the dialogue and FX were okay), and then there were spots later on where even the dialogue level seemed to drop.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 05 2010 - 06:03 PM

For some odd reason I didn't notice that audio issue, I must have thought that it was the way it was edited etc. or just bad audio from film track or something. I am sure they didn't lower the audio on the score at all for rights issues or anything, Leonard Rosenman did the score and is credited. 

I am thinking it was just the way the shape the materials were in for the transfer. Many say they hadn't seen the pilot since it original airing. 

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger View Post

I picked up Season 1 of Marcus Welby M.D. at Best Buy yesterday, they had it for $34.99 which isn't too bad. I've never seen the show ever, so this is a total blind buy. I was gonna start it last nite, but fell behind and it contains the original 2 Hour pilot so I knew I needed more time to watch it. (also picked up Facts of Life Season 4)

The case the release is in kind of surprised me because I expected it to be a digibook type of style case. Instead it was in a clear thick standard type DVD case, which is fine.(I would think this case cuts cost) It holds all 7 Discs. I like the look of each disc and the design of the artwork of the case and booklet.

Hopefully the set sells well enough to get more seasons released.
I hope it does too. I'm expecting it either today or Friday. Not only is it a blind buy for you, it's also for me. I've seen a few promo clips from YouTube, and they've gotten me warmed up for it.

"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's original opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1985 season, Jim Nantz's debut)

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,104 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 01:46 AM

I'm considering buying the Marcus Welby, M.D.: Season One set, and it would be a blind buy for me as I have not seen the series before.

If any music had been edited for this DVD release from Shout! Factory they would have stated it somewhere on the DVD case or on the booklet. With the Simon & Simon second season set they stated that one episode had music edits, or could have music edits. There was nothing in the third season set, but on the menu screens for two fourth season episodes they've stated they are syndicated masters. So with Shout! Factory's Marcus Welby, M.D.: Season One set they would have stated if there were any music edits.

Yet if there are no music edits why don't Shout! Factory call the sets "The Complete <season number> Season"?

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   vnisanian2001

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest 

Yet if there are no music edits why don't Shout! Factory call the sets "The Complete <season number> Season"?
Maybe because it doesn't matter if it says "The Complete <season number? season" or not? And that sometimes they don't put up "The complete" because there's not enough room on the packaging? There have been plenty of shows released completely unedited without the words "The Complete" on there, so it's a HUGE misconception to assume that anything that doesn't say "The complete <season number> season" on there automatically has edits.

To all fans of Mr. Belvedere who haven't purchased season 4 yet, please watch this video.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 06 2010 - 05:16 AM

I kind of get sick of the moniker COMPLETE there are plenty of season TV show sets that state COMPLETE but have edits. Kind of like every comedy movie releases getting that UNRATED title. It gets more annoying for those for sure.

I see the purpose though to call a release COMPLETE but it has been mis-used a lot.

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#11 of 17 ONLINE   The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man

Screenwriter

• 1,148 posts
  • LocationTruth or Consequences, New Mexico

Posted May 06 2010 - 06:33 AM

The only thing worse than "Complete" is Paramount's use of "Official" on the Paul Henning shows, and the Lucy Show.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 08:42 AM

I just received my copy today, and I have to agree with the glowing reviews given to the packaging; from the episode guide (branded with the clever name "Family Practice and General Medicine: An Introductory Guide"), to the disc art (different colors for each label, and each disc has a Red Cross on the top, disc no. on the left, and a shot of one or more of the major players on the right, and the release branding on the bottom), to the format of the episode guide (copious pictures, and episode listings on replicas of prescription paper), and everything in between, the people who packaged this release (Post Positive, I believe they're called) deserve high marks in that respect. Another nifty feature of this is that the pilot has the original Universal logo at the beginning.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's original opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1985 season, Jim Nantz's debut)

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powell&Pressburger 

I kind of get sick of the moniker COMPLETE there are plenty of season TV show sets that state COMPLETE but have edits. Kind of like every comedy movie releases getting that UNRATED title. It gets more annoying for those for sure.

I see the purpose though to call a release COMPLETE but it has been mis-used a lot.
     Are we still discussing this? I thought this issue was put to rest 7 years ago. Complete means every episode. It doesn't mean uncut or unedited. And by the way, I watched the first episode (not the pilot movie) and it is ether timesped or trimmed as it comes in at 48:20, which is way short for an ABC show for that time period. A show on ABC in that time should come in at around 51 minutes or so. I have uncut copies of The Immortal from 1970 and they run 51:50.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 06 2010 - 09:10 AM

I didn't make myself clear on my post I meant that stating COMPLETE on any TV show release doesn't really confirm anything. Just saying in terms of many releases it can create false expectations.

You are right it doesn't need much discussion. Just hoping people don't ever not buy this release just because it is missing the heading "complete" 

Marantz SR7007
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Jack P

Jack P

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 10:30 AM

Those 48 minute running times are similar to what all the "Ironside" releases have been like and they seem to me a case of timesped prints from the early 90s remasterings for cable.    I haven't had any sense that there's three minutes of missing content.

"Ironside's" current prints have shifted around the order of how the shows first aired, which I believe would have been teaser, Main Title and then Episode Title Act 1.    Here though, they have always been Main Title, short teaser, and then the next sequence gives us the episode title and guest cast.

I'm not going to blame Shout! on that since I'm fairly sure that's how Universal maintained the prints.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,104 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001 

Maybe because it doesn't matter if it says "The Complete <season number? season" or not? And that sometimes they don't put up "The complete" because there's not enough room on the packaging? There have been plenty of shows released completely unedited without the words "The Complete" on there, so it's a HUGE misconception to assume that anything that doesn't say "The complete <season number> season" on there automatically has edits.
You get used to seeing "Season <season number>" on the front of Region 1 and 2 DVD front covers. The Dallas sets have had "The Complete <season number> Season" on the front cover, but they haven't been uncut (the Region 2 versions not having the Lorimar logo at the end of the end credits).

It's good having forums where you can find out if there are any edits to episodes in TV show DVD boxsets.

I hope the Marcus Welby, M.D. season episodes in the Region 1 set are uncut.

I like the fact there are pictures from each episode in the booklet. This reminds me of CBS DVD's Mission: Impossible (the original TV series) sets.

Was Marcus Welby, M.D. filmed on location a lot, or was it mostly shot on studio sets/interiors?

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveCrest View Post

Was Marcus Welby, M.D. filmed on location a lot, or was it mostly shot on studio sets/interiors?
I think that it was filmed mostly on studio sets. The Universal logo at the end of each of the outings that I've seen stated as much. 

Another thing-- the opening sequence is apparently a shortened syndie version (one in which the footage of Welby driving around Santa Monica is cut out in favor of skipping directly to Kiley's [James Brolin] arrival on his motorcycle.)