What's new

LOTR BluRay Extended Cut? (1 Viewer)

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but I didn't see it when I did a search.
Has there been any official mention an EE release date?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The *speculation* is that the LOTR EE's are being saved for a release in conjunction with "The Hobbit Part 1", which is scheduled for 2012.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
If they are waiting for that release then the studio releasing the Theatrical Edition Blu-ray is going to lose a lot of money because not many fans are going to buy this upcoming TE release. I know that, at last count, Amazon had a total of [2,199] one star ratings for this upcoming release. There were [155] four stars but only because people didn't know this wasn't the EE release and that they were reviewing the movie and not the BR release version.

New Line is going to lose a lot of money with this release because nobody is going to buy it. Most everyone who is aware of this release is also aware of the hosing that LotR received over the later DVD release of the EE. I just don't see New Line coming out ahead with this release.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
You're nuts if you think the Theatrical Version Blu-rays aren't going to sell.

For one thing, there was no "hosing" of the initial DVD release because of the later Extended Editions. In fact, New Line was quite open and honest about their plans to follow up the initial Theatrical Version DVD release with an Extended Edition. It didn't stop the Theatrical versions from selling quite well on DVD, and it won't stop them from doing the same on Blu-ray.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, I'll be waiting for the EE's.

I purchased the theatrical DVDs when they first came out and, of course, the EE's as well.
The theatrical versions have not been taken off the shelf *one time* since their EE counterparts were released.

And the EE'S still look "pretty good" upscaled on my system.
BOTTOM LINE: I can wait ...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Joseph Bolus

The *speculation* is that the LOTR EE's are being saved for a release in conjunction with "The Hobbit Part 1", which is scheduled for 2012.
My understanding is that The Hobbit is on hold indefinitely because of The MGM break up.

Honestly I haven't watched either the Theatrical or EE cuts of the Lord of the Rings films since I got first got them. I won't be spending more money on blu-rays of films I don't watch.

Doug

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I didn't say that they wouldn't sell any copies. I'm sure they will. I just don't think New Line will sell enough copies to pull in a profit.

Why?

Because 99% of consumers who are thinking about buying the Blu-ray version have, undoubtedly, watched or have purchased the DVD versions. They're simply not going to purchase this upcoming release when they know it's not the Extended Edition. Because fans were hosed before by new Line in announcing the EE version after the theatrical version was released and purchased by consumers.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I actually thought the EE of Fellowship was better than the theatrical cut. But I can't say the same of the other two. Two Towers its a toss up. The EE doesn't really add anything but it doesn't hurt the movie either. Return of the King is not so good in the EE. The middle section of the film DRAGS. I found my self looking at my watch wondering when they were going to get on with it. I find the Theatrical cut to be a much better film. My understanding is that the theatrical cuts are Peter Jackson's preferred cuts of all three films.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by kemcha

Because 99% of consumers who are thinking about buying the Blu-ray version have, undoubtedly, watched or have purchased the DVD versions. They're simply not going to purchase this upcoming release when they know it's not the Extended Edition. Because fans were hosed before by new Line in announcing the EE version after the theatrical version was released and purchased by consumers.
I think everyone was aware that the extended cuts were coming when the theatricals were released on DVD. New Line announced as much. I remember knowing full well that there were extended versions coming when I bought them the first time on DVD.

Doug

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Quote:Originally Posted by kemcha ">[/url]

I didn't say that they wouldn't sell any copies. I'm sure they will. I just don't think New Line will sell enough copies to pull in a profit.

And I just think you're wrong. You seem to be putting a lot of stock in the Amazon "reviews" and in the fans' reaction to the release. But neither of those groups is representative of the buying public at all. Besides, how many copies do you think they need to sell "to pull in a profit"? It's not like they're re-making the films from scratch. There's nothing new on the Blu-rays, just new HD transfers of existing material.

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by [b]kemcha[/b] [url=/forum/thread/298921/lotr-bluray-extended-cut#post_3671314]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

Wow. What a complete crock.

I don't even know what to say about the first 2 lines of this paragraph, as they are apparently based on your amazing ability to read the minds of everybody who ever saw the DVDs. I'll leave the debunking of this to those more qualified, like James Randi or Penn & Teller.

But the final line is absolutely, completely, and demonstrably 100% FALSE. As others have mentioned, New Line most certainly DID announce the EE plans for FotR prior to the release of the theatrical version. Here's the proof, from the Digital Bits archive:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa53.html

Scroll down to the section headed (EARLY UPDATE - 3/27/02 - 12:01 AM PST). There Bill Hunt details New Line's FotR DVD launch event on March 26, 2002, where they announce the theatrical DVD release date of 8/6/02, and the EE DVD release date of 11/12/02. As you can see, NL not only announced the dates but the complete details of the contents. It was clear even at this early date that was no duplicated material between the two sets. So, not only DID New Line pre-announce their full FotR DVD plans, they gave fans almost FIVE MONTHS lead time in which to make their purchasing decision.

Here's the deal. I understand some folks only want the EEs on Blu. That's fine, it's absolutely your choice. Don't buy the theatricals. Peter Jackson has said multiple times that he wants to do an uber hi-def box of the LotR EEs, when he has time. The EEs will come, it will just take a little time (PJ is kinda busy right now, prepping 2 new multi-picture franchises).

But please, that's no reason to badmouth the theatricals, and falsely accuse New Line of "hosing" the fans. You do know Star Wars fans would KILL to have the original theatrical releases of the original trilogy on Blu? Why do the LotR theatricals get so little respect from some quarters? These are the films that millions of people thrilled to in theaters across the globe. These are the films that made $3 billion dollars worldwide. These are the films that were almost universally acclaimed by critics, and which won 17 Oscars out of 30 total nominations. These films made cinematic history, and Warner/New Line made absolutely the proper decision to get them out on Blu-Ray first.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
The general public (meaning those people outside the hard core fanbase) know and like the theatrical versions. You know, the ones that made billions of $$ worldwide theatrically, and that far outsold the EEs on DVD.

Martin Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yer Da

Most everyone who is aware of this release is also aware of the hosing that LotR received over the later DVD release of the EE. I just don't see New Line coming out ahead with this release.
You don't even seem aware of basic facts.
Consumers were informed then well ahead of time regarding the EEs and the same is now. I know that whining is an internet sport, but please...

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

I know that, at last count, Amazon had a total of [2,199] one star ratings for this upcoming release. There were [155] four stars but only because people didn't know this wasn't the EE release and that they were reviewing the movie and not the BR release version.
Everyone else has done a comprehensive job of destroying the demonstrably false assertions made in your posts, but it's also worth pointing out that the above is part of a concerted effort by people at the various HT forums (AVS, HDD, even some here) to punch up the bad reviews of the release. Most of them are from people who know it's not the EE release, but are pretending they don't because they don't like the idea of no EE. These are not the average/mainstream consumer reviews (since obviously they won't have it for two more weeks), but part of a directed campaign of a minority.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway

The general public (meaning those people outside the hard core fanbase) know and like the theatrical versions. You know, the ones that made billions of $$ worldwide theatrically, and that far outsold the EEs on DVD.
This. A thousand times, this!

And there's actual sales data to back this up. Weekly sales of the TEs of "The Two Towers" were actually higher than sales of the EE after the EE was only out for a week, even though the TE hadn't been on the chart for 2 entire months. A 3.5-month-old release beating out a 1-week-old release--in an industry where fall-offs are extremely quick, along the lines of 2-4 weeks--of the same film (on top of the high sales volume from the initial sales) in the middle of the biggest buying season of the year is pretty tough to argue against. In fact, it blows the arguments that consumers are "simply not going to purchase this upcoming release when they know it's not the Extended Edition" and that "New Line is going to lose a lot of money with this release because nobody is going to buy it" out of the water.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It is correct that the Blu-ray editions of LORD OF THE RINGS will be a huge seller. People have waited for this a long time and want to have it. I actually was one of the ones that did not purchase the theatrical editions and waited for the extended editions. I have a problem with the double dipping, which I do to much of anyway. I for one will not be purchasing the trilogy on Blu-ray in anticipation of the extended versions coming out. I have done the same thing with KING KONG and PEARL HARBOR. I have the extended directors cut on both of them as a standard DVD and do not want to go back to something less with the Blu-ray of just the theatrical cut. I also will pass on ARMAGEDDON when it arrives on Blu-ray since I have the Criterion extended edition. I am just tired of getting double dipped, and even tripled dipped. I am happy to see that Criterion has announced THE LEOPARD on Blu-ray with both the international and the US versions on it. Now that is the way to go.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

FYI, the King Kong Blu-ray has both versions via seamless branching.

I did not know that. I picked up the Blu-ray a couple of times and did not see it listed that way. Must have missed it. Thanks for the heads up, I will go by today and take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks