Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

LCD vs LED vs Plasma

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   trivial75

trivial75

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 14 2010 - 09:10 AM

I have to replace my SXRD LCD.... if you had a choice, which would you choose out of these 3 TVs....

Sony Bravia 60" 1080p 120Hz LED HDTV (KDL60EX703)
Sony Bravia 60" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV (KDL60EX500)
Panasonic 65" 1080p Plasma HDTV (TCP65S1)

It will be in my low lit basement, I mostly watch HDTV, Bluray, PS3 games, and DVDs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 14 2010 - 09:44 AM

I thought the SXRD line was rear projection TV, not an LCD.  Did they start using it for other things? 

Realize that technically there is no such thing as an "LED TV".  It is not a different technology, and there are no TVs (yet- maybe someday) where each pixel gets it own tiny LED.  "LED" TVs use standard LCD panels.  The only difference is that they use LEDs instead of cold cathode fluorescent lamp.  Using LEDs can greatly increase a set's ability to produce a true black and improve color saturation, but how noticeable the difference is in the real world depends on what kind of stuff you watch and your viewing conditions.  (See the article linked to above.) 

If you did have an SXRD RPTV, I'm really sorry to hear that you have to replace it.  Dollar for dollar and diagonal inch for inch, I've always thought that liquid-crystal-on-silicon was the best large screen technology for anyone who didn't absolutely, positively, have to something the could hang on the wall.  And the Sonys were the best of the LCoS TVs.  (I have a JVC 56" 720p LCoS because I couldn't afford the then-new 1080p Sonys)   Are you sure it wouldn't be better to fix it?

As for your three choices - a lot of it will come down to your budget and how much each of them costs.  (And if you could apply any savings to something else for your HT.)

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   SQMonte

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted March 14 2010 - 11:56 AM

I'd say the plasma, it's bigger and lovely for low lit rooms

T.V. - Vizio VF551XVT                             Cable - Comcast/Motorola DCX3400
A/V Receiver - Sony STR-DN1000            BluRay - Vizio VBR110
Speakers - Main - Insignia NS-B2111     Center Ch. - Onkyo SKC-540C
Sub - Sony SA-W3000

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Loggaine

Loggaine

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 15 2010 - 11:23 AM

I'd definitely go with the Plasma for superb picture

#5 of 7 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted March 15 2010 - 12:20 PM

I was actually thinking of purchasing a new television myself. I am quite new to the whole "LED" thing though but after doing some reading I was thinking of purchasing one of these LED TVs as since I am here in Australia they seem quite good value compared to what else is out there. Is there anything else that you think would be worth me knowing before purchasing one?

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,172 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted March 20 2010 - 01:38 AM

Shopping for TVs stinks: you can't trust what you see at the store (with some few exceptions). I bought based on expert / user reviews and price. Because of that, I was ignorant of a minor issues with some Plasmas. But there was no way to see a Kuro up close and personal in a dark room at a store, to even see this possible imperfection. So I guess I still advocate buying a TV based substantially on reviews and price, and not based on what you see at the store.

So my comments, from researching and buying two flat-screens in early 2009:

If I were buying today, I think it would be a choice between Samsung LCD and Panasonic Plasma. 

When I bought my Pioneer Kuro, Panasonic was considered second-best Plasma and improving. And the high-refresh rate LCDs make movies look weird in a computer-generated-soap-opera way due to the 240 Hz interpolation. (That said, Plasmas are not perfect. My Kuro has very slight brightness variations over the screen. It's "normal" and not covered by warranty. My wife doesn't see it, but it's persistent, if slight, annoyance to me.)

And when I was researching for my Jan 2009 purchase, Samsung made the best LCDs. I would have bought their models before any other. Perhaps that's changed.

And if I wanted a value brand, I'd buy a Vizio -- again based on 12+ month old research, and now seeing a friend's new 40" Vizio (very nice).

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 20 2010 - 05:21 PM

Quote:
 And the high-refresh rate LCDs make movies look weird in a computer-generated-soap-opera way due to the 240 Hz interpolation.

This mode can be turned off on most LCD sets, so I would not consider it a major knock against the technology. 

Regards,

Joe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users