Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Upcoming "Daria" Release...NO music versus replaced music?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   WendyCR

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted March 13 2010 - 10:19 AM

I have the DVDs of the two movies that "Daria" had released, "Is It Fall Yet?" and "Is It College Yet?" The series itself is still its sarcastic best, but what gave it its atmosphere was the music.

Now, unlike some here, I am not too concerned over substitutions and such as long as the soundtrack does not detract from the show. But having watched YouTube uploads of broadcast airings versus the DVDs, it hit me that many scenes were without music entirely.

For a show as heavy on music as "Daria" was, it was most disconcerting. Now, I am wondering - as it has been said that the two movies are a part of the complete set - if the movies released on their own DVD will be the copies used on the set? Instead of substitutions, there was a complete absence, noticable on the bonus episodes before "Is It Fall Yet?" - the episodes "Fire!" and "Dye, Dye, My Darling!"

I sincerely hope that someone went back to these movies *and* episodes and at least TRIED to use remakes or some musical variant for the Complete Series. Seeing silent scenes and silent end credits, especially (even with the still hilarious "alter egos" used) is a letdown.

Of course, I won't lie: I have waited for this series for ages and I'll still buy it. But I think reviewing the complete absence of where music was inserted should be rectified. And I hope it is, with something in its place. Like I said, the music rounded out the show and gave it an edge.

Just musing out loud. Does the absence matter? Would you rather absence than remakes since licensing makes all the original music too costly to use?