What's new

Starting from Scratch (1 Viewer)

Toothman

Auditioning
Real Name
Thom Trottier
Alright, I finally completed finishing my basement (mancave). Now it's time to buy the toys. Here what I have...coaxial cable sticking out of the wall, blue smurf tube to box in center of wall, surge protector center of wall, and wire run/cover plated for surround sound. Where do I go from here? I was looking at a Sharp 52" LED television, Yamaha RXV 465 Receiver, Klipsch HDT 500 speakers, and a Pioneer Elite Blue Ray player. Is there a better way to go that doesn't break to bank? If there is a better piece of equipment at a better price I would love to know about it?

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Well, while I was sending you a private message they unlocked your post to receive replies. Take a look at the private message and the add to your post your room size and so on, and I think you will get better responses to your questions.

Welcome to the Forum.

Chris aka Sparks

Sparks

Agent
Real Name
Chris
Hey Thom, After looking at your list I think you have picked several great items. I believe you will be happy with the sound through the Klipsch Speakers ( I would consider them Moderate price range... with great sound), and the Yamaha receiver I like as well.

There is a lot of decisions like seating you are going to be looking at that will decide on the size of the TV (If not already purchased) to get your best size. 1 or 2 rows, or like a den with a sectional and a couple of recliners. From the Pic in your post I see what appears to be light coming from a couple of windows in the room. This will be a problem with any screen or TV, so I would recommend in looking at some sort of shades or black out curtains to cover them before you crank everything up.

Also if you are still able to run some more wiring.... I would suggest you prewire for a projector in the future if possible. You can look at a few on the net or go to a few stores, but I think with that size room if it's going to be dedicated you will want a bigger screen at some point. Projectors give you that option at a very low cost. I believe your set up would be similar to mine with the projector approx. 13 feet back from the 16' wall ( That would allow for a 106" to 119" Screen size). The choice in what projector you could use is endless (But I liked the LCD ones better) and am very pleased with my Picture quality from mine.

Like I said in the PM.... I would also prewire for 7.1 surround if possible. At some point you will want to upgrade, and it's easier now than later. The only suggestion I would give on your pieces of equipment is the BluRay.... I would look at several of them, and I like the Samsung Models. Some are a little pricier, but I think they are faster at loading than most of the other brands.

It looks like a nice set-up with what your planning. Good luck and let us see more pics after you get everything in place.

Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Toothman

Is there a better way to go that doesn't break to bank? If there is a better piece of equipment at a better price I would love to know about it?
We don't know how big your bank is. There is less expensive equipment out there but will it meet your requirements?

As mentioned, Klipsch speakers are popular but have you listened to them? Some think the horn tweeters are harsh. Even if you get the Klipsch speakers, don't get the sub. You can get a much better sub from an internet direct company.

Does the Yamaha receiver have an auto calibration system built into it? My Pioneer has the MCACC system and it does a great job setting EQ, speaker levels and speaker distances.

Does the Pioneer Blu-Ray have any type of download ability? I have a Samsung Blu-Ray that can stream from Netflix, Blockbuster, You Tube and Pandora.

If you have noise from the sitting room above you, the sitting room will have noise from the theater room below. Bass will travel through walls and floors with ease. Watching an action movie at an average volume, I can feel the bass in every single room of my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks