• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#481 of 604 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted August 09 2013 - 10:56 AM

I have just received The Man Who Haunted Himself on blu-ray from Network. One of Roger Moore's better films, it has excellent picture quality and good extras (blu-ray/DVD combo).

• Robin9 likes this

#482 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted August 21 2013 - 02:09 AM

The Visual Entertainment Group in Australia have released titles such as THE UNFORGIVEN (Audrey Hepburn), THE BOSTON STRANGLER (Tony Curtis) and EXODUS (Paul Newman) on Blu Ray for $14.95. Searching on ebay.com.au or ezydvd.com.au should lead to copies which are being sold to overseas customers. This company owns the rights to many classic Fox titles (eg. PEYTON PLACE, THE MAN IN THE GRAY FLANNEL SUIT), so these could well be next on their agenda.

imgLoading_30x30.gifVEGE132.jpg
imgLoading_30x30.gifVEGE138.jpg
imgLoading_30x30.gifVEGE140.jpg

Edited by lionel59, August 21 2013 - 02:14 AM.

• Lromero1396 likes this

#483 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted August 26 2013 - 05:43 PM

P.S.  JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH and MIDNIGHT LACE are upcoming Blu Ray releases by  the Visual Entertainment Group in Australia

imgLoading_30x30.gif192459.jpg

Edited by lionel59, August 26 2013 - 06:53 PM.

#484 of 604 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,254 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 02:33 PM

Spain's Stars Cafe has a listing for a wide screen DVD of The Sound And The Fury (1959). It's not a Fox release but distributed by a company called Sotelysa. Can anybody vouch for Sotelysa's product?

#485 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:15 PM

P.S.  JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH and MIDNIGHT LACE are upcoming Blu Ray releases by  the Visual Entertainment Group in Australia

imgLoading_30x30.gif192459.jpg

I'd like some accurate tech specs on the Australian BD of Journey to the Center of the Earth, please.

#486 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 03:45 AM

The Australian release of JOURNEY TO... has the trailer and an 'Isolated Score' track.

The TT release had these plus a Spanish trailer. Although the back of the cover cites 'English 2.0' for its sound, when it plays on my Blu Ray player the isolated score is in 2.0 but the film's soundtrack is in "DTS HD MA 4" going by my player.(There is a DTS logo on the back of the cover as well) The surround sound during the (great) main title music definitely "kicks in". It is a 'Region B' encoded disc. The image looks terrific. Ebayers selling the TT version for around $100 should be very nervous.

Edited by lionel59, September 20 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#487 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:53 AM

The Australian release of JOURNEY TO... has the trailer and an 'Isolated Score' track.

The TT release had these plus a Spanish trailer. Although the back of the cover cites 'English 2.0' for its sound, when it plays on my Blu Ray player the isolated score is in 2.0 but the film's soundtrack is in "DTS HD MA 4" going by my player.(There is a DTS logo on the back of the cover as well) The surround sound during the (great) main title music definitely "kicks in". It is a 'Region B' encoded disc. The image looks terrific. Ebayers selling the TT version for around $100 should be very nervous.

This release based on what you said exceeds by expectations. I will certainly import it. This also bodes well for future CinemaScope releases from them. Hopefully, they'll take advantage of the fact that they have rights to The Man in the Grey Flannel Suit; my most wanted CinemaScope title on Blu.

#488 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 06:00 PM

These HOLLYWOOD GOLD titles are now being released by SHOCK entertainment here in Australia. Their website is www.screenpop.com.au   They have also released many HAMMER horror pictures on Blu Ray and Westerns such as HOUR OF THE GUN. It may be worth writing to them re requests.

#489 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted September 29 2013 - 08:05 PM

In case anyone out there is unaware, Blu Rays of the following have been or are being released in Germany:

WAR AND PEACE (Audrey Hepburn)

THE BLUE MAX

SAMSON AND DELILAH (Hedy Lamarr)

A FAREWELL TO ARMS (Rock Hudson

HATARI

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (Sinatra) and

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Hardy Kruger)

#490 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 08:18 PM

In case anyone out there is unaware, Blu Rays of the following have been or are being released in Germany:

WAR AND PEACE (Audrey Hepburn)

THE BLUE MAX

SAMSON AND DELILAH (Hedy Lamarr)

A FAREWELL TO ARMS (Rock Hudson

HATARI

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (Sinatra) and

THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY (Hardy Kruger)

Sadly the HATARI disc is a smeary DNR'd mess. I've heard great things about SAMSON, though.

Can anyone comment on the German Blus of The Blue Max or Anne of the Indies?

Edited by Lromero1396, October 01 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#491 of 604 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 01 2013 - 08:53 PM

I have The Blue Max.  It has good sharpness but I found the color rather mild and the blacks are too milky much of the time.  It's okay, that's all.

#492 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 01 2013 - 10:41 PM

I have The Blue Max.  It has good sharpness but I found the color rather mild and the blacks are too milky much of the time.  It's okay, that's all.

Does it look like the old DVD master was used?

#493 of 604 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted October 02 2013 - 08:03 AM

Does it look like the old DVD master was used?

I couldn't really tell you that.  It just doesn't have the "pop" I was hoping for.

#494 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 02 2013 - 11:09 AM

I couldn't really tell you that.  It just doesn't have the "pop" I was hoping for.

Well in any case, I'm not going to upgrade from my DVD just yet. It was hinted in some posts by HTF admins that The Blue Max did very well as a write-in in the Vote Your Choice poll, and implied that Fox had interest in revisiting the title. I'll happily wait for a restoration from the OCN and original Mag masters (the DVD and now the blu-ray have only 2-channel mixdowns of the original 4-track.).

#495 of 604 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,254 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 04:34 PM

I received two DVDs from Spain via Stars Cafe not available in region one. One is fine and the other is a disappointment.

The good one is a nice anamorphic wide screen (2.00 which is appropriate) transfer of a Universal-International film, Never Say Goodbye (1956) with Rock Hudson, a Sirk (though he didn't direct) like melodrama.

The other is The Racers (1955) with Kirk Douglas, a Fox CinemaScope film, a racing car melodrama set in Europe. It's a sub par transfer, very soft looking and grainy. It is in wide screen but not anamorphic which I could have lived with if the transfer wasn't so crappy. The worst part is that it is a DVD-r from the notorious Regasa films. If I had know it was a Regasa release I wouldn't have ordered it since they're practically the Spanish equivalent of Alpha.

I sent an e-mail to Stars Cafe telling them that they should notify their customers if it's a DVDr on their site. It's frustrating not knowing what you're getting.

That being said they're selling a wide screen Love With The Proper Stranger on their site. The quality is anybody's guess. It's a Paramount film and the Spanish transfers of Paramount's catalog product varies. The Spanish DVD of Secret Of The Incas (1954) is reasonably decent (and no region one release is imminent due to element problems) but the Spanish DVD of But Not For Me (1959) with Clark Gable is quite ugly.

So ..... buyers beware!

Edited by Thomas T, October 07 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#496 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the information on the Spanish releases.

I have the UK release of NEVER SAY GOODBYE,which was released-incredibly enough- as part of a Clint Eastwood set.(He has a bit part in it). It is a good transfer so I'm guessing the same one has been employed by the Spanish dvd company.

The LBX transfer of THE RACERS shown on the Fox Movie Channel is not in full 2.55:1 CinemaScope and looks similar to your description of the DVD-R Spanish release.( I prophesy that Fox Archives will do a pan-and-scan transfer when they get around to it!)

As I have a pan-and-scan version of LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER, I am very interested to hear what the Spanish release is like and if it is anamorphic. A pity BUT NOT FOR ME is "not so hot". Is it at least in 1.85:1?

#497 of 604 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,254 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 08:46 PM

The Racers DVD is not a full CinemaScope transfer either. The credits appear to be 2.35 but the film itself is closer to 2:1. Curiously, it appears to have the original multi directional stereo tracks though.

But Not For Me is not in 1.85 but appears to be an open matte transfer rather than P&S.

#498 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 02:54 PM

The Racers DVD is not a full CinemaScope transfer either. The credits appear to be 2.35 but the film itself is closer to 2:1. Curiously, it appears to have the original multi directional stereo tracks though.

But Not For Me is not in 1.85 but appears to be an open matte transfer rather than P&S.

Thanks for the information on the Spanish releases.

I have the UK release of NEVER SAY GOODBYE,which was released-incredibly enough- as part of a Clint Eastwood set.(He has a bit part in it). It is a good transfer so I'm guessing the same one has been employed by the Spanish dvd company.

The LBX transfer of THE RACERS shown on the Fox Movie Channel is not in full 2.55:1 CinemaScope and looks similar to your description of the DVD-R Spanish release.( I prophesy that Fox Archives will do a pan-and-scan transfer when they get around to it!)

As I have a pan-and-scan version of LOVE WITH THE PROPER STRANGER, I am very interested to hear what the Spanish release is like and if it is anamorphic. A pity BUT NOT FOR ME is "not so hot". Is it at least in 1.85:1?

Strangely, I saw The Racers on FMC back in July and it appeared to be close to 2.55 throughout the feature. However, color was dull and uninspired and most of the film appeared to be sourced from a release print (or at least an element with cue dots punched in). The master also featured stereo sound. I hope that the MOD whenever we get one isn't P&S, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

#499 of 604 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 442 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 05:30 PM

I also saw the July broadcast. (I guess this film is the '50's GRAND PRIX as well as Bella Darvi's "last stand" as a (would-be) screen star.)  It was a wider version than was shown a few years earlier. The print,however, appeared to be the same soft, greenish-hued one which was previously shown. The sound is indeed in stereo and this may be the best version of this film (which boasts a fine Alex North score and arresting CinemaScope cinematography) which we get to see, unless Twilight Time shows interest and is given a better quality master to use.

Edited by lionel59, October 09 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#500 of 604 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted October 09 2013 - 06:39 PM

I also saw the July broadcast. (I guess this film is the '50's GRAND PRIX as well as Bella Darvi's "last stand" as a (would-be) screen star. It was a wider version than was shown a few years earlier. The print,however, appeared to be the same soft, greenish-hued one which was previously shown. The sound is indeed in stereo and this may be the best version of this film (which boasts a fine Alex North score and arresting CinemaScope cinematography) which we get to see, unless Twilight Time shows interest and is given a better quality master to use.

So we saw the same version. I now remember the ugly green hue. I liked the racing aspect of the film as well as the cinematography and score, but the dramatic portions of the script were pretty laughable. Nevertheless, I'd love to see it again. This time in a quality transfer. The Racers seems like perfect material for Twilight Time, but since they've mainly been releasing more mainstream titles that have already made it to DVD, I'm going to call it unlikely. They don't seem to be hitting as many obscure titles as they were in their early days i.e. The Roots of Heaven, Swamp Water, etc.

Edited by Lromero1396, October 09 2013 - 06:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users