-

Photo
- - - - -

PHE Press Release War of the Worlds (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,896 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 12:30 PM

TOM CRUISE STARS IN A THRILLING RENDITION OF THE CLASSIC H.G. WELLS TALE DIRECTED BY STEVEN SPIELBERG, 
ARRIVING ON BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST TIME

WAR OF THE WORLDS

Visually-Stunning and Action-Packed Sci-Fi Thriller Debuts on Blu-ray June 1, 2010 Featuring Over Two Hours of Special Features

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF.
 – When the Earth is suddenly invaded by menacing aliens in giant fighting machines, one family struggles for survival in the 
eye-popping adventure WAR OF THE WORLDS, directed by Steven Spielberg and landing on Blu-ray for the first time ever June 1, 2010 from Paramount Home Entertainment. A DreamWorks Pictures and Paramount Pictures co-production, 
WAR OF THE WORLDS stars Tom Cruise as Ray Ferrier, a father who is desperately trying to protect his teenage son (Justin Chatwin) and 10-year-old daughter 
(Dakota Fanning) from the relentless alien onslaught that is destroying everything in its path.  Fueled by the desire to reunite the children with their mother, Ray battles to shepherd his family from New Jersey to Boston, all the while fending off the mysterious and deadly aliens.   

Filled with stunning visual effects and non-stop action, the 
WAR OF THE WORLDS Blu-ray features the finest picture and sound quality to further enhance this sci-fi classic.  The Blu-ray also features over two hours of bonus material including in-depth production diaries following the crew from the east coast to the west coast, featurettes on H. G. Wells’ legacy, scoring the film, the characters and previsualization, multiple photo galleries and more.

WAR OF THE WORLDS Blu-ray

The WAR OF THE WORLDS Blu-ray is presented in 1080p High Definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital along with English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. Special features are presented in standard definition except where noted HD:
·      Revisiting the Invasion
·      The H.G. Wells Legacy
·      Steven Spielberg and the Original War of the Worlds
·      Characters: The Family Unit
·      Previsualization
·      Production Diaries
o   East Coast—Beginning
o   East Coast—Exile
o   West Coast—Destruction
o   West Coast—War
·      Designing the Enemy: Tripods and Aliens
·      Scoring War Of The Worlds
·      We Are Not Alone
·      Galleries
o   Sketches by Costume Designer Joanna Johnston
o   Production Stills
o   Behind the Scenes
o   Production Sketches
·      Theatrical Teaser Trailer (HD)

About Paramount Home Entertainment 
Paramount Home Entertainment (PHE) is part of Paramount Pictures Corporation (PPC), a global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment.  PPC is a unit of Viacom (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), a leading content company with prominent and respected film, television and digital entertainment brands.  PHE is responsible for the sales, marketing and distribution of home entertainment products on behalf of various parties including: Paramount Pictures, Paramount Vantage, Paramount Classics, Paramount Famous Productions, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, CBS and PBS and for providing home entertainment fulfillment services for DreamWorks Animation Home Entertainment.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 02:14 PM

Finally, this fun movie is coming to Blu-ray. It's about time and thanks for the announcement, Ronald. 

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,978 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 09 2010 - 02:30 PM

In three years, there's been two Spielberg movies released on Blu-ray and now, there's one a month.

#4 of 16 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,308 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 02:48 PM

I wonder why they didn't include the 1953 original with Gene Barry and Ann Robinson? Like as was done for the blu ray of The Day The Earth Stood Still from 20th Century Fox.

I guess Paramount wanted to release it separately.

I'm not a fan of why Spielberg decided to veer from the original book and have the Martians already underground on Earth at the start of the film. It wasn't clear if the Martians were already there, or the odd lightening effects were the martian ships transporting through the atmosphere and under ground.

But it was a very well made film, the effects were great!

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 03:16 PM

Because it's already available as a Blu-ray release. 

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,251 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 09 2010 - 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

I wonder why they didn't include the 1953 original with Gene Barry and Ann Robinson? Like as was done for the blu ray of The Day The Earth Stood Still from 20th Century Fox.

I guess Paramount wanted to release it separately.

I'm not a fan of why Spielberg decided to veer from the original book and have the Martians already underground on Earth at the start of the film. It wasn't clear if the Martians were already there, or the odd lightening effects were the martian ships transporting through the atmosphere and under ground.

But it was a very well made film, the effects were great!
My theory is that they had to add the original to the remake release so that there would be one good movie in the package/img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif">

I understood the lightening to be transporting the Martians to their  prepositioned tripods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha 
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Southpaw

Southpaw

Supporting Actor

• 881 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 12:45 AM

Oh my, this is going to sound insane. Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report and now this. Color me tickled pink....

#8 of 16 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 10 2010 - 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw 

Oh my, this is going to sound insane. Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report and now this. Color me tickled pink....
I am more colored tickled blu.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,902 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted March 10 2010 - 01:43 AM

All we need is A.I. (no jokes, please :-)

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 02:42 AM

The lack of HD extras is disturbing. It's been a while since I looked at them, maybe they're mostly video? Can't video still be HD? Hard to believe they shot this stuff just a few years ago and didn't look ahead.

#11 of 16 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,308 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito34 ">

All we need is A.I. (no jokes, please :-)
And E.T., or is that already out on blu-ray...

<br />

</div>

<ul id='postControlsNormal_3558983' class='post_controls clear clearfix' >
					<li class='top hide'><a href='#ipboard_body' class='top' title='Back to top'>Back to top</a></li>

</ul>

</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<hr />

<script type= var pid = parseInt(3558983); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3558983') ) { $('multiq_3558983').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3558983') ) { $('toggle_post_3558983').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3558983] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,902 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted March 10 2010 - 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au ">

And E.T., or is that already out on blu-ray...</div></span></div>
Universal has admitted being slow with catalog titles but they promised to pick up the pace this year - I'm sure ET is on the schedule. Personally, I won't be upgrading to Blu for this film - the Ultimate Edition giftset I already own is good enough for me.<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class=

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 04:18 AM

My ET theory is for a 2012 30th Anniversary Blu. Hope I'm wrong.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 05:36 AM

While the movie might not be well received, I thought it was a really good popcorn/disaster/fun movie. I'm hoping that more extras will be announced when its finally released. 

#15 of 16 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,308 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 12:28 PM

Come to think of it, as this is a Paramount Pictures release, does this also bode well for the Indiana Jones series? Or is Lucasfilm controlling that.

#16 of 16 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 10 2010 - 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au 

Come to think of it, as this is a Paramount Pictures release, does this also bode well for the Indiana Jones series? Or is Lucasfilm controlling that.
Lucusfilm has say so in this series.  Especially Indy 2 & Indy 3.  Although I do believe from what I have heard, that we will see the first three Indiana Jones movies in Blu-ray by the end of the year. 

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman