-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

African Queen Blu-ray screen caps on dvdbeaver.com

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 08 2010 - 07:45 AM

http://www.dvdbeaver...are/african.htm

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#2 of 22 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 08 2010 - 04:56 PM

Awesome.  Thanks, Roland!  /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

Certainly an improvement over anything I've ever seen.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 22 Sebastian1972

Sebastian1972

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 08 2010 - 09:55 PM

Finally, it looks just right for the first time on home video. This is very exciting!!!

#4 of 22 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,594 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted March 09 2010 - 01:12 AM

I am very happy with the way the screen caps look for this film.  I have seen the film in theatres a couple of times with a fairly used print and I have the laserdisc which I was OK with.  But this looks like Paramount took their time and have done it right.  I guess good things come to patient people. 
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 22 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 02:14 AM

The caps look good for the most part, but is there a strong green push here? Look at the caps of the boat entering the rapids for example. The water looks green.

Is it just me?

#6 of 22 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted March 09 2010 - 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz W 

The caps look good for the most part, but is there a strong green push here? Look at the caps of the boat entering the rapids for example. The water looks green.

Is it just me?
Parts of the water do look green but other parts are blue in that scene.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#7 of 22 Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted March 09 2010 - 07:21 AM

I can't quite understand why a screen grab of one of the green screen shots wouldn't be featured by the "Beaver." It seems essential to the evaluation process.

#8 of 22 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,816 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz W ">

Is it just me?
Why wouldn't water reflecting green stuff look green (or have a strong green tint)?   They're in the jungles afterall.<br /></span>
<br />
Anyway, the screen caps look good so far.  Great to see.  Would love to finally see this film for myself.<br />
<br />
_Man_<br />

<br />

</div>

<div class= Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 22 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 11:01 PM

Like I said, maybe it's just me, but a lot of those shots have a greenish cast to them. Other things as well, in the boat shot look at the sky in the Carlton DVD which is blue and compare to the BD where it looks more white.

Maybe this is the way it's supposed to look, I really don't know. In general it looks better than the DVDs. Haven't seen the film for a few years and never have in HD or at a theater. I love the movie and have been waiting more than a decade for it on disc. Only good thing about the long wait is that I get to skip DVD completely and go right to hi-def. Hopefully Mr. Harris will weigh in on it and ease my mind, but regardless this will be a Day 1 purchase.

#10 of 22 Sebastian1972

Sebastian1972

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 11:56 AM

I can assure you that the latest blu ray edition of The African Queen has correct colour balance and contrast exactly as cinematographer Jack Cardiff intended. He would be very, very happy to see the result if he is still alive.  

#11 of 22 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 10 2010 - 12:21 PM

Upon what information can you make that assurance, Sebastian?  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#12 of 22 Sebastian1972

Sebastian1972

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 05:57 PM

@ Mike - I saw the MPAA archival print of this film before with my own very eyes.

#13 of 22 Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 10:55 PM

Thank you Sebastion, that's very reassuring.

#14 of 22 Sebastian1972

Sebastian1972

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 03:58 AM

@ Heinz - You are very welcome.

#15 of 22 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,907 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 11 2010 - 09:54 AM

At least no one's screaming about the lossy audio track..... yet.

Oh dear; I fear I may have opened the proverbial can o' worms.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#16 of 22 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2010 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_J_H 

At least no one's screaming about the lossy audio track..... yet.

I'll be glad to oblige, Stephen--if it's true.  I haven't heard that yet.

I'm already on record about the issue HERE.

#17 of 22 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,114 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 11 2010 - 10:04 AM

It's true, but since it's a mono track it's a less egregious offense. No reason to not have it lossless, but ultimately not a big deal in this case IMO.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#18 of 22 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2010 - 10:20 AM

But lossless is lossless...no matter mono/stereo.surround.  It's all about the quality rather than the type of soundfield used.

I thought the studios were past this kind of thing.  How disappointing.

#19 of 22 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,693 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 11 2010 - 10:35 AM

I have a few people from Paramount willing to talk about the release.  If you have any questions (Mike /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif) please post them here: http://www.hometheat...ad#post_3669628

#20 of 22 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,981 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 11 2010 - 10:42 AM

Done.  Thanks, Adam.