What's new

Need advice on a Karaoke system (1 Viewer)

combedtortoise

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Hello to all.
I have a few questions about building a karaoke system. First of all, I've never had a karaoke system, I've used them before, but only at friends house. What i was wondering was what is a great set-up for a decent price? My budget is around $1000 or less. Now here is also another situation, I want to use my computer as to store my music on as to not bother with multiple discs. How will I go in doing that? I've searched numerous websites and not many mentions what was needed in order to do so.
I will need everything for the karaoke system. All I have at the moment is a Samsung 42" 1080p TV and a computer.

I sincerely apologize if I've posted this thread in the wrong place and would thank you all in advance that have any advice in this matter.

AudioENG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Not sure if you still need advice...

So the computer would host the karaoke versions of the music (music no voice) and also send the video to the TV for words?
if that is how you plan to set it up the rest is pretty simple.

You would need a receiver
Set of speakers
Mic
inexpensive mixer
cables (speaker cable, mic cable, cable from the mixer to receiver, cable from computer to receiver, cable from computer to TV.)

The rest depends on you and how many speakers you want, how much room you have, ect.
Also would this be a stand alone karaoke system or would you buy components planning on using them for other things (surround sound, TV watching ect)?

fantasyzer

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Hi Ryan,

I have hosted a couple of karaoke parties, informal, outdoor in a party tent using a laptop, beamer, a mixer, and a wireless mic.

I wrote a program myself, named PTKaraoke, plays most kar files (midi with lyrics) and using the "environment" settings and equalizer of my sound driver the sound was even fairly good! (You may need to download the drivers for your soundcard from you mainboard vendor) PTKaraoke is freely downloadable at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ptkaraoke/ but there are heaps others out there.

In your case I would say:

- A computer with:

• a karaoke player program, there are heaps out there for free
  • a videocard with TV-out to you television and using extended desktop (you can move the second monitor anywhere you want in relation to your primary monitor in display properties)
  • a (wireless) microphone connected to the mic-in and enable it at you sound card's mixer
  • your amplifier connected to the line-out

Now the only thing you need is this huge pile of karaoke files...I haven't really figured that out myself yet...I do have a library, but it's a mess, and I don't know where it came from.

There are some DVD-player alike systems out there but none of them have network support or anything to connect to your PC:

• Acesonic DGX-210 DVD-player alike, with USB, so maybe an external Hard drive can do the job?? (around USD 100)
  • RSQ NK-2000U Same thing, only more features and more expensive (around USD 200)
  • RJ TECH iView 2000K more features (around USD 235)

Some cheap a** but good to go microphones:

• SONY Singstar mics
    Cabled, originally for the playstation, but works just as good on the PC (I don't know about the USB connection, but just the individual microphone plugs should work)
    (Package of 2: USD 2)
  • HISONIC WHM308
    Wireless Professional Microphone (you'll need an adapter from big-microphone plug to small for this one)
    (Single microphone: USD 21)
  • HISONIC MIC306
    Wireless Microphone System (I don't kow about connecting these ones)
    (Package of 2: USD 36)

Let us know what worked for you! Tnx

fantasyzer

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Hi Ryan,

I have hosted a couple of karaoke parties, informal, outdoor in a party tent using a laptop, beamer, a mixer, and a wireless mic.

I wrote a program myself, named PTKaraoke, plays most kar files (midi with lyrics) and using the "environment" settings and equalizer of my sound driver the sound was even fairly good! (You may need to download the drivers for your soundcard from you mainboard vendor) PTKaraoke is freely downloadable at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ptkaraoke/ but there are heaps others out there.

- A computer with:

• a videocard with TV-out to you television and using extended desktop (you can move the second monitor anywhere you want in relation to your primary monitor in display properties)
  • a (wireless) microphone connected to the mic-in and enable it at you sound card's mixer

Now the only thing you need is this huge pile of karaoke files...I haven't really figured that out myself yet...I do have a library, but it's a mess, and I don't know where it came from.

There are some DVD-player alike systems out there but none of them have network support or anything to connect to your PC. They do have a USB connection, so maybe an external Hard drive can do the job??

Some cheap butt but good to go microphones:

• SONY Singstar mics
    Originally for the playstation, but works just as good on the PC (I don't know about the USB connection, but just the individual microphone plugs should work)
    Package of 2: USD 20
  • HISONIC WHM308
    Wireless Professional Microphone
    Single mic: USD 21
  • HISONIC MIC306
    Wireless Microphone System
    Package of 2: USD 36
Let us know what did the job for you! Tnx.

fantasyzer

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Hi Ryan,

- A computer with:

There are some DVD-player alike systems out there but none of them have network support or anything to connect to your PC. They do have a USB connection, so maybe an external Hard drive can do the job??

Some cheap butt but good to go microphones:

• SONY Singstar mics
    Originally for the playstation, but works just as good on the PC (I don't know about the USB connection, but just the individual microphone plugs should work)
    Package of 2: USD 20
  • HISONIC WHM308
    Wireless Professional Microphone
    Single mic: USD 21
  • HISONIC MIC306
    Wireless Microphone System
    Package of 2: USD 36
Let us know what did the job for you! Tnx.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks