Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Am I hurting my speakers?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   tmartin316

tmartin316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 05 2010 - 04:15 AM

I like to think that I'm not a noob in home theatre, but I really probably am. I feel like I have pretty decent speakers, but I don't know much about the power side of things, so I'm always worried that I don't have the right hardware to suit my speakers. Given my setup below, am I hurting my speakers?  Do I need an amp/preamp/better receiver/something else? 
Setup:
Front Speakers: 2 Paradigm Reference Studio 20s v4Center Speaker: 1 Paradigm Reference Studio CC-590 v4Surround Speakers: 2 Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 v4 or v5Sub: None yet, but I will in the futureReceiver: Onkyo TX-SR604
 Also, since I plan to get a subwoofer at some point in the future, will the answers to the questions above change?  Will I need new/different hardware at that point? I really appreciate anyone's feedback!  Thanks!

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted March 05 2010 - 05:45 AM

You're good.  The 604 puts out less than 90 watts, your speakers can handle more than that. They are all 8ohm.  You are also set for the subwoofer.  

Looks like you have a very nice setup.  Add a good sub and be really blown away. 

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   tmartin316

tmartin316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 02:42 AM

Thanks for all the great info!  Yea, I love my speakers, I just really need to get that sub.  Not sure what kind I'll spring for, maybe one of the paradigms to have a complete set - or maybe just something cheaper to get the job done.

It's good to hear that I'm not delivering too much power to my speakers, but I was also worried that I wasn't delivering enough.  Is that an actual problem?  Can I damage the speakers by turning it up and not delivering them enough power?  Since the 604 puts out less than 90 watts (is that per speaker?), should I be careful with how high I turn up the volume?

Thanks again!

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator

• 187 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted March 10 2010 - 03:28 AM

You can damage your speakers with not enough power due to distortion. If it still sounds clean you're probably fine.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 04:01 AM

FYI - When you look for a sub be sure to check out internet direct companies like SVS and ED.  You will get more for your money.

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 10 2010 - 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Pierce 

You can damage your speakers with not enough power due to distortion.
I thought this myth had died years ago.  http://www.monsterca..._Some_Facts.pdf

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted March 10 2010 - 08:00 AM

Robert, you may wish to cite a more reputable source when trying to dispell audio myths. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 10 2010 - 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gatie 

Robert, you may wish to cite a more reputable source when trying to dispell audio myths. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif
It may be hosted on Monster's site, but it was written by Richard Clark.  If you aren't familiar with him, Google is your friend.  But he has done some work with Tom Nousaine

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 12:30 AM

Quote:

I thought this myth had died years ago.

There's this from
Alan Lofft, Former editor of Sound & Vision and Audio Magazines:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/receivers.html
The rated power output of the receiver's internal amplifiers, stated in watts per channel into 8 ohms, will ultimately determine the unit's selling price. ... Don't scrimp on the power: the greatest source of damage to speakers is using too small amplifiers to drive speakers at high volumes, especially when you might "crank it up" at a party. The amp runs out of watts, distorts, and the distorted signal burns out tweeters or woofers in seconds. And one basic truth most consumers do not understand when they are shopping for amps and speakers: smaller speakers generally require more power-not less-to produce realistic volume levels than big speakers do because they use smaller woofers and are less efficient.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   tmartin316

tmartin316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 01:37 AM

Thanks everyone - so does the TX-SR604 have enough power for me to not worry about that?  Would I benefit from adding an amp or something so I could worry *less* about it (especially when I add a sub into the mix)?  

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert_J

Robert_J

Lead Actor

• 8,160 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted March 11 2010 - 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin316 

Thanks everyone - so does the TX-SR604 have enough power for me to not worry about that?  Would I benefit from adding an amp or something so I could worry *less* about it (especially when I add a sub into the mix)?  
The TX is fine.

The rest of us are just discussing the finer points of distortion.  At least Richard Clark explained WHY distortion doesn't kill speakers.  Alan Lofft is just restating the myth.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,022 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 03:23 AM

Don't believe everything Alan Lofft states.  I've had a few "discussions" with him on the Axiom forums.  Once he gets an idea in his head, he stays with it no matter what the evidence suggests.  Ask him about modern auto EQ systems, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

The TX is fine.

The rest of us are just discussing the finer points of distortion.  At least Richard Clark explained WHY distortion doesn't kill speakers.  Alan Lofft is just restating the myth.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 04:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone - so does the TX-SR604 have enough power for me to not worry about that? 

Yeah, kind of forgot about you there didn't we?  I agree with the others that the SR604 is fine.  (Removed sub comment.)

I don't claim to be an expert, so I don't have anything personal to add.  But even the Monster hosted Richard Clark article says this: 

Richard Clark:
    Prevention
    It is sometimes claimed that a good way to prevent speaker damage is to use a larger amp. This is true
    only if you don't turn the larger amp up until you exceed the average power to the speaker. ...

And yes, I do judge by the company you keep.  So I can't allow myself to use that article alone to sway me.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   tmartin316

tmartin316

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted March 11 2010 - 04:25 AM

Haha no problem Al Anderson.  Thanks everybody, I feel much more comfortable now that I am not hurting anything.  I'll definitely check out those sites (SVS and ED) when it comes time to buy my sub.