-

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official ALICE IN WONDERLAND Discussion Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted March 04 2010 - 02:01 AM

Will be seeing this film tonight at a sneak preview at the local IMAX. I won passes through a local radio show. The version I am seeing is the 3D version.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#2 of 15 Holer

Holer

Stunt Coordinator

• 233 posts

Posted March 05 2010 - 12:09 AM

Man the critics are really divided over this one - they either really like it with reservations or they absolutely hate it. Interesting. Burton's Johnny Depp films don't usually get pasted. 

#3 of 15 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,500 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 05 2010 - 02:53 AM

This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Alice in Wonderland". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Alice in Wonderland" should be posted to the
Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 15 Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted March 06 2010 - 04:00 AM

WOW! I guess I am alone in having enjoyed this movie.

I didn't think that the opening was weak. I thought it was a nice set up to her going back to Wonderland. I liked the idea that she didn't seem to remember anything about her first adventure there and that she thought it was a dream. I agree that the ending was not the best and I would much rather her have gone back to Wonderland and stayed.

I still think this movie is far better than what people are saying, but that's just my humble opinion.

(Admin note - moved this post from the review thread)

NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#5 of 15 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted March 06 2010 - 04:56 AM

Great. I'm still deciding whether to go to this film. I go to the review thread for impressions about this movie and get to read how the movie ends. Thanks. There is a discussion thread for talking about specific points of a film and it is right here. At the very least, people could learn to use spoiler blocks if they are going to mention something specific, like how a movie ends. The reveal may seem minor and maybe even obvious to the posters but other people still don't want to read anything about how a movie ends.
"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#6 of 15 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,789 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 06 2010 - 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran ">

Well, I enjoyed it more than many of the folks in the review thread but not as much as you did.  I thought it was just OK. That being said, the crowd I saw it with loved it so I would say that anyone thinking about going should check it out because it seems like a very polarizing movie.

<br />

</div>

<ul id='postControlsNormal_3557620' class='post_controls clear clearfix' >
					<li class='top hide'><a href='#ipboard_body' class='top' title='Back to top'>Back to top</a></li>

</ul>

</div>
		</div>
	</div>

<hr />

<script type= var pid = parseInt(3557620); if ( pid > ipb.topic.topPid ){ ipb.topic.topPid = pid; } // Show multiquote for JS browsers if ( $('multiq_3557620') ) { $('multiq_3557620').show(); } if( $('toggle_post_3557620') ) { $('toggle_post_3557620').show(); } // Add perm data ipb.topic.deletePerms[3557620] = { 'canDelete' : 0, 'canSoftDelete' : 0 };

#7 of 15 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 06 2010 - 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia Duran 

No, you're not alone. I enjoyed it for what it was, which is not Alice in Wonderland but a Tim Burton riff on the subject. I'm kind of bewildered by the venom in the review thread, but bewilderment's a familiar sensation in the Movies forum. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#8 of 15 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted March 07 2010 - 03:03 PM

Saw this tonight, at the Albany digital IMAX. Ended up in the 2nd row, which made for a nice large image, but it was too close as it was easy to make out the individual pixels especially in the numerous bright scenes. 

Aside from that, I wasn't that thrilled with the movie. I really think Depp's Mad Hatter should have been crazier, and I especially hated his anachronistic dance number at the end. Wonderland was a bit lacking in wonder, and the story was too run of the mill. I did like most of the character designs and costumes, though.

#9 of 15 Jamisterb

Jamisterb

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 04:10 PM

This movie really making the audience count on every adventure it been able to make. such a fine movie adventure comes with some things kids will have a dream at most of their childhood. Alice in Wonderland makes lot of enthuse and i did agree with the movie script prompt as far as realistic stuff to the movie.

source
http://www.80million... <br /> <br />

#10 of 15 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 07:29 PM

I didn't have a problem with the movie itself. I was entertained. However we did see it in Imax 3d and it was horrible. Like others have said there was no real sweet spot for the focus. I had to adjust my glasses just to make sure I could see it clear. The picture would become fuzzy then focus etc etc.. This is the same theater I saw Avatar in so I know it is a good theater.

I really liked the two little fat boys. They made the movie and they were only in it for all of two minutes!

I do think TB did a good job on it and to me it is far better then Willy Wonka.

I also felt the Christopher's character looked odd and felt very cgi'ish.  I didn't like his movement etc.  It also took me out of the film.

The only scene I could of did without and I wish they would of left it out was the following:

The Johnny Depp dance sequence. That scene alone ruined the entire move going experience for me.... it was that bad to me.

My DVD Collection

#11 of 15 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 07:35 PM

I thought the film was ok.  But the 3D IMAX was horrible.  I know it wasn't the theater (saw Avatar in the same theater).  The 3D was out of focus and I had to keep adjusting as to where I was looking.  

Saw this at the "The Bridge" in Los Angeles.

The two characters I really liked and there were only in the film for a few frames were the two boys.......

My DVD Collection

#12 of 15 SilverWook

SilverWook

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 09:03 PM

Equipment can fall out of proper alignment even at the best venues. Only nobody will know if nobody complains.

#13 of 15 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 09:10 PM

This is true....  However, given the person we saw it with said the same thing from another location I am tending to believe it is the 3D.  Although I could be wrong.  But I do agree~

My DVD Collection

#14 of 15 Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,271 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 10:43 PM

I will wait for the Blu-ray release of this.  I have read a lot of reviews and although there are certainly unfavorable reviews, most I have seen are favorable.  Both Phillips and Scott from "At the Movies" rate it as a See It and Roger Ebert gave it ***/****.  The fact it has set an all-time box office record for March openings means it probably will be considered a success.

Chris

#15 of 15 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 301 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted March 08 2010 - 03:47 PM

Definitely agree about the dance sequence.... it was too modern and way out of what little period feel had been created.