What's new

Need opinions on a new LCD tv for under 600 (1 Viewer)

Taggert

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Ashe
Greetings all!

I am currently in the market for a new LCD tv. I have been using a 32 inch JVC CRT for the past like 10+ years and my grandfather whom i live with has a Panasonic 32 inch CRT which is starting to go (the image is pushing in on one side) So since my JVC still works fine, i figured i will give it to him and get a LCD for myself since i do game occasionally.

I am not a kid mind you (i know this sounds like a odd statement but a lot of people act like I'm 18 when in fact I'm almost 40..lol) I take care of my gramps and thus need my game time to unwind..lol

Any way on to my questions:

For the price point and the fact that i am only about 10 feet tops from my Set, what brands would you recommend?

So far i have considered Vizio, Insignia, Samsung, Sanyo, Sony and Panasonic (tho the last ones are hard to find in that price range)

I would want either a 37 or 40-42 (from what i read anything bigger may not look as good this close.

Also at this viewing range is 1080p really necessary?

And to answer some questions:

Yes i watch a lot of movies (movie night every weekend at my place)

I do have a Onkyo HT already 6.1 HT-R510 which i have had for a few years now and i love it. (tho no HDMI worries me)

I do game occasionally whit my bud and his PS3

ATM i do not have A BR player but will be getting one at the time i get the TV

If there is anything else you would like to know please feel free to ask.

thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Dave

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Dave,

It is hard to get something too big. I have 61" and i sit about 8-9 feet from the screen. 1080p really shines from that distance (with that size).

I have been shopping for the past 2 weeks and I have to tell you, getting an LCD bigger than 32" for less than 600 is a challenge. I'm really leaning towards a plasma. If you are not an avid gamer, that may be an option for you.

Hopefully you get a few recommendations.

BTW - Welcome to HTF.

Taggert

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Ashe
Hey Dave,
Thanks for the heads up, I have been leaning towards a plasma but i have a couple of questions:

1.Do plasmas really get as hot as i have been told?

2. How is their reliability?

3. If i do game on it, other than burn in will i have to worry about anything else?

4. Is plasma a dated technology? Meaning will it be around in 5-10 years?

5. Any brands to avoid?

OH on a side note i did find a Insignia brand 37 inch 1080p 60Hz LCD for $547.00 BUT also found their 42 inch Plasma (720p 600Hz i assume thats 60 Hz and just a typo?) for the same price...lol I keep hearing good things about these sets and was wondering if anyone had any input?

Thanks!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Insignia is crap.

consider sony, LG, Panny, Sammy....look for the largest size at your price point...Id do 720p over 1080p if you could get a larger size display.

Good luck

Taggert

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Ashe
Well thanks for being honest Gregg =)

I take it Vizio is in the same boat? I have looked at the brands you mentioned and its not easy finding one near 600 locally. I did find a couple that are a bit more and if that means waiting a bit longer than I will do just that.

I would rather get a quality set than rush and get something that will not make me happy.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I'd look at the Panasonic and Samsung 42" 720p plasmas, which can be had for around $600.

Taggert

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Ashe
Well after poking around i located this one for $679.00
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+BRAVIA+40%22+Class+/+1080p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9761174.p?id=1218168619890&skuId=9761174

Sony Bravia LCD 40 inch 1080p

Seems to have all the features i want. We may have a winner, tho it does not say it;s contrast ratio ...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
That Sony EX-400 is a good basic 1080p 60hz lcd television. Advertised contrast ratio numbers are pretty much useless as there is no industry standard for method of measurement.
mfgs. especially Samsung, love to fudge these numbers.

The same money will get you a nice 42" Panasonic or Samsung 720p plasma. At an 8-10 foot viewing distance few people can see any advantage to 1080p over 720. Avoid the C2 series Panasonics in favor of their X24 models. Samsung's 450 series sets are also quite good but have more tendency to develope temporary Image Retention, especially during the first couple of hundred hours of use.

Plasma will produce a little more heat and use a little more electricity than LCD.

Panasonic plasmas are about the most reliable sets you can buy these days.

Gaming lag is significantly lower on plasmas than on lcd. Pannys lower than Samsung.

Plasma is a more mature technology, lcd needs lots of expensive gimmicks like frame interpolation and local dimming led backlighting to duplicate the pq of plasma at a much higher price.

Mfgs, especially Panasonic, are still making large investments to increase plasma production and improve technology.

Brands to avoid are store brands, no-name brands, and old American brands like Zenith, Magnavox, Sylvania, RCA.

Taggert

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Ashe
Steve,
First off ty for your insight it was very helpful, and from your post i can see your a big fan of Panny's =)

I found a 42" 720p 60hz Plasma for $599.00 at best buy. It is the Viera class MODEL: TC-P42C2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+42%22+Class+/+720p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9770484.p?id=1218170522194&skuId=9770484

It looks good and is under budget (if i want to spend 799 i can grab a 42 1080p but the money i save on a 720p will net me a BD player as well =)

Thanks for the input, i think i will be leaning towards this TV.

IF you have any other input /suggestions on a decent BD player or anything please let me know!

Dave

Taggert

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Ashe
Just realized the one i posted is the C2 model you said to avoid lol Ill keep a eye out for a good deal on a X24 version. =)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I got the Panasonic 42" U1 model a couple weeks ago. The picture is stellar, though it still has some burn-in time to go. It is on close-out at Best Buy right now for $699. There may still be one in stock in your area. Just be aware, it does not have an anti-reflection filter. That's not a problem (it may even be a plus) how I am using it, but it could be for a lot of people. It is very reflective.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, the 600Hz on Plasmas is not a typo. Plasmas actually can scan that fast.

i subscribed to this channel on youtube recently, and at the end of the episode they discuss refresh rates between plasma and lcd. they talk about the 600hz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks