What's new

"Return to the 36th Chamber" & John Woo's "The Killer" - Dragon Dynasty (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
36th Chamber was actually released yesterday. It's available for shipping from Amazon as we speak.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Whoops; I stand corrected. I misread the date on the KungFuCinema page. Thanks!

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
As usual, 36th chamber was impossible to find on day and date - Dragon Dynasty seems notoriously sloppy about getting product into the shops on time. I ended up ordering from Amazon. Can't wait to see how they did with it. Haven't seen any reviews so far, but I believe it's a high-def transfer of the Celestial upgrade, so it should look good. This is one of the single best Shaw movies ever so my hopes are pretty high.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Weird, I just walked into Best Buy and pulled it off the shelf. Granted, I grabbed the only copy they had, but it wasn't all that difficult. I guess their distribution is inconsistent. I will say that it looked/sounded just fine. However, if you were looking for extras, you'll be unimpressed.

Holer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joel
Well my point is yesterday was a week after it was released. I'm betting last Tuesday, you wouldn't have found it. Not that big a deal obviously - I was just in a snit because I wanted to see it ASAP. It's like if you were dying for a steak and all the grocery store had was turnips. You can order some rib-eyes from Omaha but that ain't gonna scratch the itch you have today.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for it to come from Amazon. Glad to hear you liked it though. That's encouraging. DVD Beaver was not so impressed but I am not typically as demanding as they are - not sure I could even tell the difference between interlaced and non-interlaced. The screen grabs looked pretty good to me.

Still and all I hope this Blu-ray does well. This is one of the most beloved Kung-fu films of all time, at least here in the west, so it would be good if it's a hit. Import BD's of kung-fu classics are still extremely expensive, so I really hope DD keeps them coming. The price is definitely right.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
From a thread at the AVS Forum regarding the Blu-ray of THE 36th CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN:

"buuuut holy crap, this is the most unbelievably screwed up, mangled, flawed piece of crap Blu-ray ever released. The reason it runs 5 minutes shorter than the DVD releases is because it has mangled frame-interpolation from the 25fps/50hz master. It's 1080i60 but it doesn't have any inverse telecine to play at the original 24fps. Instead it's purely interlaced, every frame of it. So it can only be played at 60fps. Instead of 25fps to 24fps, they did 25fps to 60i with frame-blending. The conversion causes every frame to blended together, so there's constant blurring and chopiness. Also, the audio is an unlistenable mess, screwed from the conversion as well. It's completely distorted; pitched too higher, raspy, constantly echos. This just might be the worst disc on the format. I really can't believe this horrific thing was released for this classic. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid..."

Doesn't sound good.

Original thread:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Ah well, I bought the SD so I wouldn't know anything about that. The SD is perfectly fine.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I was hoping they'd do right with this film as well as their first Blu-ray!

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Don't forget, The Protector comes out on Blu-ray on April 6th. Another great classic. I just wish they would release the first two Police Story films.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
They no longer have the rights to the first two Police Story films. Their deal with Fortune Star ended in 2009 and those two films, along with Crime Story, Royal Tramp 1 and 2, Shanghai Express, Above the Law, and Last Hurrah for Chivalry are now OOP

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Looks like the Blu-Ray for The Killer has the same issue as 36th Chamber of Shaolin:

www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/killer4.htm

It's either a Pal-NTSC upconvert, or an 1080/50hz transfer converted to 29.97. Sigh.

And apparently, this affects the DVD as well:

http://www.hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/killer.htm

Although, at least the subtitles seem to be accurate:

www.hkfilm.net/dvdrevs/killer2.htm

Still, no sale for me. It can't be that difficult to convert 1080/50hz into 24p instead of interlacing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks