What's new

"Hands On" Review of the Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-ray Player (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Our friends over at HighDefDiscNews have just posted their
review of the Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-ray player.

You can read their review here.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the link, Ron. I do find their wording odd regarding load times. They state that the S570 "trounces" the old S350 in this category, yet their data was:

BDP-S570
Michael Clayton: 51 seconds
Baraka: 33 seconds
Cloverfield: 38 seconds BDP-S350
Michael Clayton: 1 minute 7 seconds
Baraka: 45 seconds
Cloverfield: 1 minute 2 seconds

I only see one of three instances where the load time was significantly better. Certainly not worth the cost of an upgrade if the other features -- promise of 3D, wireless and SACD playback -- are not needed.

Pete Lee

Stunt Coordinator
% by which the S570 load time is faster than the S350:

Michael Clayton - 31%
Baraka - 36%
Cloverfield - 63%

I have no hesitation agreeing that a minimum 30+ percent advantage in load time could fairly be characterized as "trouncing" the alternative. As for whether those faster times, even if they hold across the board which is of course no guarantee, are worth paying more, well, that's an entirely different question.

I looked at this player in the store and was stunned by its cut-rate build quality even in light of its relatively low price. I initially thought the buttons on the faceplate of the player had been snapped off while it was on display. It took me a few seconds to realize the tiny, nubby buttons were supposed to look like that. I expected better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks