Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men - Double Feature

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted February 28 2010 - 08:48 AM

">">

COMEDY DOUBLE FEATURE

GRUMPY OLD MEN
 GRUMPIER OLD MEN

Studio: Warner Bros
Film Years: 1993, 1995
Film Length: 103mins, 101mins
Genre: Comedy

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Colour/B&W: Colour

BD Specifications: 1080/24p

Gumpy Old Men Audio

English DTS 2.0 Surround
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Espanol Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Grumpier Old Men Audio
English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
French Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Espanol Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Subtitles:

English SDHFrancais, Espanol

Release Date: February 23, 2010.

Who says it’s no fun getting old?  Old friends John and Max (Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau) have enough time on their hands to jab daily insults at each other. The day isn’t long enough for these widowers, an exchange of words while trying to get some good ice fishing in living in their little Minnesota community.  Their grouchy relationship gets even pettier once the attractive widow Ariel moves in across the street (Ann Margret) and the two men find themselves fighting for her time.  Grumpy Old Men is a hilarious portrayal of the life beyond retirement when time slows down along with our hearts.

Grumpier Old Men is the sequel that brings back most of the cast including the men’s kids played by Daryl Hannah and Kevin Pollak, John’s dad Burgess Meredith, and new to the cast is Sophia Loren as Maria Sophia Coletta Ragetti who plays Max’s new life interest in more ways than one – she’s gonna turn the bait shop into a restaurant!  With the same writer but under new direction, the movie cracks out similar jokes as the first with a slightly different overall feel.

This is the first time the second film has has been released on Blu-ray.  The differences is that Grumpy Old Men will now have a DTS-HD Master Audio encode rather than a Dolby TrueHD encode. I'm glad to see that these films were released together on the same disc.  Movies on blu-ray discs have become so laced with special features that a bare-bones release seems contrastingly stark.  This set is also upgrade worthy over the previous DVDs because much like Spies Like Us and Funny Farm, it’s the first time Grumpier Old Men is available in its original theatrical ratio.

PICTURE QUALITY: GRUMPY OLD MEN 3.5/5 /img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif">/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif</span></span></span></strong><br />
<br />
<p class=PICTURE QUALITY: GRUMPIER OLD MEN 4/5 /img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif">/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif</span></span></span></strong><br />
<br />
<p class= 

I don’t own the DVDs, but these must be new widescreen masters of the films. Grumpy Old Men look does look slightly older than the other, but both have excellent image quality.  Resolution is excellent; never once did I feel like I was missing out on any details.  The colour choices for this HD release look very good as it doesn’t seem to stress anything out of the ordinary.  The winter gray skies of the first film cast the overcast colour tone across the whole image and contrasts to the warmth of summer when casting a fishing line out on the water in the second film.  Black levels are good, white level doesn’t peak, and I’m a happy viewer.  The aspect ratio is 1.85:1.

SOUND QUALITY: GRUMPY OLD MEN 3/5 /img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif">/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif

SOUND QUALITY: GRUMPIER OLD MEN 3.5/5 /img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif">/img/vbsmilies/htf/star.gif</span></span></span></strong><br />
<br />
<p class= 

Like Spies Like Us and Funny FarmGrumpy Old Men’s 2.0 surround soundtrack is available in LOSSLESS AUDIO via DTS encoding/decoding.  This was virtually unheard of in the past, but it’s great to see the soundtrack not subject to lossy audio just because it didn’t originate as 5.1.  In this instance your receiver will default to your matrix surround encoder to split the sound up.  Using Pro-Logic IIx in my Integra DTC-9.8 to split everything up, the soundtrack is heavy up front with mostly music being sent to the surrounds.  The DTS HD-MA 5.1 soundtrack on the sequel is also of the same caliber but with more distinct separation across the front soundstage and in the surrounds.  This allows dialogue to be just a bit more intelligible and the whole soundtrack deliver more air and space to the listening room.

SPECIAL FEATURES: ZERO/5

Not a single special feature on this disc, unless you consider the “double feature” status of this disc a special.

IN THE END…

While I don’t want to use this word, these movies are “sweet” as we remember Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau’s career.  They are charming and funny and remind us of the fun we can have in our life before it ends, because the end is inevitable.  Dump the pan & scan DVDs and pick up these films with new HD transfers.  The only grumpy old men will be the ones who don’t upgrade.

Michael Osadciw
GO CANADA
!
a7200b4b_a.gif">

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#2 of 56 ONLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 28 2010 - 09:27 AM

"Come back to my place! I'll show you my canneloni!"

I love Burgess Meredith in these movies.

#3 of 56 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted February 28 2010 - 10:49 AM

Quote:

This is the first time these films have been released on Blu-ray
Only the second one. The first one was released on Blu-ray last summer. I have this on very good authority. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 56 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted February 28 2010 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben 

Only the second one. The first one was released on Blu-ray last summer. I have this on very good authority. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif
Yeah....and now I have to double-dip on that one just to get Grumpier Old Men. /img/vbsmilies/htf/mad.gif

Fortunately, I got the original one cheap so replacing it will not be costly. /img/vbsmilies/htf/wink.gif

Recently watched- Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, Home Alone, An American Christmas Carol, It's A Spongebob Christmas!, Four Christmases, Love & Other Drugs, Assault On Precinct 13(1976), Lovejoy Christmas Specials, Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Keep the change your filthy animal!"

#5 of 56 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,409 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted February 28 2010 - 12:35 PM

Best Buy has this for $15 and I'm hoping Amazon will match.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#6 of 56 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted February 28 2010 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, I picked up today at Walmart who matched a best buy ad for $15.  Great stuff, I enjoyed both of these films.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#7 of 56 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 12:04 PM

Michael - corrected!  I somehow missed that when writing the review, but noticed only after posting!

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#8 of 56 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 01:30 PM

For the past two weeks Best Buy has listed this as being available in their stores and, so far, I have yet to find this in any local retailers. These are a pair of films I've been waiting to own in widescreen and I've so far lucked out. ;) 

I've been trying to figure out if both movies are widescreen because I'm hearing reports that only the first movie is widescreen.

#9 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 07 2010 - 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha 

I've been trying to figure out if both movies are widescreen because I'm hearing reports that only the first movie is widescreen.
From the review at the top of this very thread:

Quote:
This set is also upgrade worthy over the previous DVDs because much like Spies Like Us and Funny Farm, it’s the first time Grumpier Old Men is available in its original theatrical ratio.

I don’t own the DVDs, but these must be new widescreen masters of the films.

The aspect ratio is 1.85:1.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 56 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 07 2010 - 06:38 PM

Actually, that only refers to one of the movies. Other retailer websites identify the Blu-ray release as being fullscreen and the technical aspects list only one movie as being widescreen. 

#11 of 56 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted March 08 2010 - 01:50 AM

Quote:

Actually, that only refers to one of the movies.

It is clear that the 1.85:1 description applies to both films. This figure is listed both in the initial specs at the top of the review and in the "Picture Quality" section, which applies to both films.

Even if that weren't unambiguous, there's the following statement, which Mike Frezon already quoted:

Quote:
 it’s the first time Grumpier Old Men is available in its original theatrical ratio.

COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#12 of 56 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted March 08 2010 - 02:56 AM

Quote:

Actually, that only refers to one of the movies.
Yes, it refers to the second movie--the one you asked about.

#13 of 56 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted March 08 2010 - 11:30 AM

Grumpier Old Men was released in WS on LD as I have it. Looking forward to this BR.

Al Kuenster

#14 of 56 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 01:13 PM

I just want to know if anyone can confirm, by way of seeing the actual BR, if both movies are widescreen and if this release is single sided or double sided. 

#15 of 56 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 01:16 PM

Michael's review addresses both of those questions.  I presume he has seen the actual disc.

#16 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 09 2010 - 01:21 PM

Quote:

I just want to know if anyone can confirm, by way of seeing the actual BR, if both movies are widescreen and if this release is single sided or double sided. 
Jaref:  I can't--because I haven't seen this release.  But, why don't you believe the reviewer.  Michael has been reviewing discs on the HTF for quite awhile and I've never known there to be any inaccuracies in his reviews? 

As I noted up in Post #9, both films are in their original widescreen AR.  And, Michael indicates both films are one disc.  I don't think these are flippers...but both films are on the same side of the BD:

Quote:
 I'm glad to see that these films were released together on the same disc.  Movies on blu-ray discs have become so laced with special features that a bare-bones release seems contrastingly stark.  
Maybe you should tell us where you are getting your "reports."

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#17 of 56 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 02:12 PM

The reason why is because here we have reviews that aren't very specific where other sites are reporting that the release is in full frame. Not only that, but the packaging for the release doesn't really give any information. It lists both movies but doesnt say whether the disk is single sided or double sided or whether one movie or both movies are widescreen.

The DVD version states that the first movie is widescreen and the second is full frame. Yet, the Blu-ray lists technical specs for each movie separately but doesn't list the aspect ratio, separately for each film.

#18 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 09 2010 - 02:53 PM

Well, I guess then you'll have to wait for Michael to return to this thread and confirm what he has already written...or else someone else who has seen the disc could confirm.

#19 of 56 OFFLINE   kemcha

kemcha

Second Unit

• 376 posts

Posted March 09 2010 - 03:16 PM

Mike, that was why I asked ... ;) 

#20 of 56 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,213 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 09 2010 - 03:35 PM

I understand that.  Except that it seems to me to have already been spelled out in the OP.  His review seems quite specific on these points.

None of your information refutes Michael's review (except your assertion that "other sites" are listing "Grumpier" as full frame).  You just choose not to believe him.