What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men - Double Feature (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I picked up today at Walmart who matched a best buy ad for $15. Great stuff, I enjoyed both of these films.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Michael - corrected! I somehow missed that when writing the review, but noticed only after posting!

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
For the past two weeks Best Buy has listed this as being available in their stores and, so far, I have yet to find this in any local retailers. These are a pair of films I've been waiting to own in widescreen and I've so far lucked out. ;)

I've been trying to figure out if both movies are widescreen because I'm hearing reports that only the first movie is widescreen.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by kemcha

I've been trying to figure out if both movies are widescreen because I'm hearing reports that only the first movie is widescreen.
From the review at the top of this very thread:

This set is also upgrade worthy over the previous DVDs because much like Spies Like Us and Funny Farm, it’s the first time Grumpier Old Men is available in its original theatrical ratio. I don’t own the DVDs, but these must be new widescreen masters of the films.

The aspect ratio is 1.85:1.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
Actually, that only refers to one of the movies. Other retailer websites identify the Blu-ray release as being fullscreen and the technical aspects list only one movie as being widescreen.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by kemcha Actually, that only refers to one of the movies.
It is clear that the 1.85:1 description applies to both films. This figure is listed both in the initial specs at the top of the review and in the "Picture Quality" section, which applies to both films. Even if that weren't unambiguous, there's the following statement, which Mike Frezon already quoted:
it’s the first time Grumpier Old Men is available in its original theatrical ratio.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Actually, that only refers to one of the movies.
Yes, it refers to the second movie--the one you asked about.

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
I just want to know if anyone can confirm, by way of seeing the actual BR, if both movies are widescreen and if this release is single sided or double sided.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Michael's review addresses both of those questions. I presume he has seen the actual disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

As I noted up in Post #9, both films are in their original widescreen AR. And, Michael indicates both films are one disc. I don't think these are flippers...but both films are on the same side of the BD:

I'm glad to see that these films were released together on the same disc. Movies on blu-ray discs have become so laced with special features that a bare-bones release seems contrastingly stark.
Maybe you should tell us where you are getting your "reports."

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
The reason why is because here we have reviews that aren't very specific where other sites are reporting that the release is in full frame. Not only that, but the packaging for the release doesn't really give any information. It lists both movies but doesnt say whether the disk is single sided or double sided or whether one movie or both movies are widescreen.

The DVD version states that the first movie is widescreen and the second is full frame. Yet, the Blu-ray lists technical specs for each movie separately but doesn't list the aspect ratio, separately for each film.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess then you'll have to wait for Michael to return to this thread and confirm what he has already written...or else someone else who has seen the disc could confirm.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I understand that. Except that it seems to me to have already been spelled out in the OP. His review seems quite specific on these points.

None of your information refutes Michael's review (except your assertion that "other sites" are listing "Grumpier" as full frame). You just choose not to believe him.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

...Other retailer websites identify the Blu-ray release as being fullscreen...
Well, in defense of what other sites may have claimed, technically "fullscreen" is 1.78:1 for a BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks