Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ Days of Heaven -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted May 02 2010 - 09:51 AM

had the same experience. projected 110". turned it off after 30 minutes. so many forcefields, eyes hurting.

had the cinematography not been so full of optimal edge enhancement moments, it might have fared better. 

To whoever was responsible for this transfer - rubbish work. cheers ! 

on the plus side, can you even begin to imagine the disaster this could have been if universal released this. they may have even surpassed their sistine chapel of transfers, "Out of Africa". i don't even like to think about that. 

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 8,056 posts

Posted May 02 2010 - 11:12 PM

I'll revisit this when I have a moment.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 866 posts

Posted May 03 2010 - 09:56 PM

Don't expect anything BAD. We are talking the finer points of what separates reference from (very) good.

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   Heinz W

Heinz W

Second Unit

• 415 posts

Posted May 03 2010 - 10:58 PM

I mentioned the EE when this came out and was told by some here that is wasn't EE at all, but an effect of shooting at "magic hour". Sure looked like EE to me, but what do I know? It wasn't there a lot, just a few scenes, and the rest of the film looks great. I would love to know if it is in fact EE or something else.

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,798 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Michel_Hafner 

Don't expect anything BAD. We are talking the finer points of what separates reference from (very) good.
Agree with Michel.  We're not talking the original Blu-ray of GoNY here, just something that is frustratingly less-than-perfect as it could have been, and for no good reason that I can discern.

Vincent

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 827 posts

Posted May 04 2010 - 01:27 PM

The fine people at Criterion seem to be reasonably accessible via email. One of you should pointedly ask why it was allowed. They should know that people who do care, are watching and noticing.

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,698 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted May 04 2010 - 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Heinz W 

I mentioned the EE when this came out and was told by some here that is wasn't EE at all, but an effect of shooting at "magic hour".
I'm 100% confident it's in the actual photography.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,176 posts

Posted May 05 2010 - 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon Conway 

I'm 100% confident it's in the actual photography.
Yup, go take a look at Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm, you'll see the same kind of "ringing" halo around Lawrence whenever there's a shot looking up at him against the sky, usually when the light source was behind him (though not in frame).  

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,798 posts

Posted May 06 2010 - 03:02 AM

Looking at the screen-shots here- http://www.hundland....m#daysofheaven- I'm now inclined to agree with you and Brandon and retract my initial impression that what I was seeing was electronic EE.  The "halos" do not look electronic at all in these shots, it definitely has the appearance of a lens/light issue on the original film in high-contrast areas caused by the use of backlighting.  I'm guessing that some display chains exaggerate the halos and make them look like electronic EE when in fact they are not that at all.

Vincent

Originally Posted by Adam_S 

Yup, go take a look at Lawrence of Arabia in 70mm, you'll see the same kind of "ringing" halo around Lawrence whenever there's a shot looking up at him against the sky, usually when the light source was behind him (though not in frame).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users