-

Photo
- - - - -

Need a new Receiver/Processor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Geoff H

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted February 26 2010 - 08:31 AM

I currently am using a Yamaha rx-v1300 for HT/Stereo and was thinking of upgrading to the 1900 to get the HDMI connection(s) that I need. I am running the 1300 as more of a processor as I am bypassing the Yamaha amp and running it through a Rotel RMB 1075 (5 channel) amplifier.

My question is, is the 1900 overkill if I'm using it just as a front end? I mean, is most of the expense between one model number and the next the power rating, while connections/processors/innerds being more or less equal?

OR is there a processor only that would do as well for around the same $$ as the 1900?

Insight/advice/experience appreciated. 

#2 of 3 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,700 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted February 27 2010 - 03:51 AM

There's nothing wrong with using a receiver as a processor. Along with more connections and inputs/outputs many higher end receivers also come with more advanced signal processors like DAC's (Digital to Analog Converters) and DSP's (the chip that processes the Dolby and DTS surround sound). Here's a comparison-chart for the Yamaha 1900/1065/665 if you haven't looked at it yet.

I'm not real knowledgable about Processors but the Onkyo 886 gets a lot of attention as a relatively in-expensive one. It's going for $1449 at Outlaw-Audio.com.  If you're not afraid of used equipment then there's an Onkyo 885 (last years model) on Audiogon for $850. A couple have recently sold for even less than that.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 3 Selden Ball

Selden Ball

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 27 2010 - 04:04 AM

The power rating is only part of the cost, although it also seems to be the easiest place for the manufacturers to cut corners. :( The 1900  supports HDMI V1.3a, so it can handle 1080p/60 and the new DD and DTS lossless audio encodings, which the 1600 doesn't seem to.  It also includes an HD tuner. 

An HDMI switch might be more cost effective, but many people have reported problems with getting audio through some of them. Sorry, I can't recommend any particular models since I don't use one.

Selden