What's new

BEST HTIB for around $500; I know they are usually junk. Please HELP (1 Viewer)

I am really trying to stay on a budget here since I have a decent setup in my main family room and just spent a bunch of money finishing my basement. This is for my basement and room is about 15x18, I have wire to the back of the room. So I need to know the very best Home Theater in a Box for around $500 and I know they are usually junk and not worth it but there has to be one or two that are not that bad. I dont understand all of the terminology but I do want a receiver preferrably without a built in DVD player. I really want a Blue Ray player so a system without a DVD or blue ray is fine and I will just add a Blue ray seperately later.

So if I could get a receiver, speakers and a sub for $500 I would be happy.

Am I correct in saying that Onkyo seems to have some of the better HTIB? I also dont want to be limited with stuff like the HDMI pass through, does this really matter? Like I said I am new to all of this.

I have considered putting together seperate components but it keeps becoming too expensive, even if I try to get a refurbished receiver. But you have any good ideas for this approach please let me know.

I hate to spend $500 on something that is not worth it but I dont know what else to do.

I really need some guidance here, please help. Any suggestions are appreciated.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yes, the Onkyo's are better than most since they include a decent receiver. The speakers are the real weak point with all in one packages. IMO, it would be better to get a decent receiver and 2 speakers. Add the center, surrounds, and sub later as you have the budget.

If you can go slighty above $500, you can get better speakers. For example, you could get an Onkyo 507 for $300, 5 Fluance speakers for $300, and a Dayton sub for $200. Perhaps get the receiver and speakers first and save up for a better sub later.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If Blu-Ray is definitely in your future, you really shouldn't go any lower than the Onkyo 6200 system (currently about $550 at amazon.com).

The 6200 is HDMI 1.3 repeater (4 inputs) and supports the lossless audio codecs of Blu-Ray. The HDMI repeater is important, as it allows you to hook up all your HDMI devices without the need for a separate audio cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks