Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

BEST HTIB for around $500; I know they are usually junk. Please HELP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Guest__*

Guest__*

Posted February 26 2010 - 01:14 AM

I am really trying to stay on a budget here since I have a decent setup in my main family room and just spent a bunch of money finishing my basement. This is for my basement and room is about 15x18, I have wire to the back of the room.  So I need to know the very best Home Theater in a Box for around $500 and I know they are usually junk and not worth it but there has to be one or two that are not that bad.  I dont understand all of the terminology but I do  want a receiver preferrably without a built in DVD player.  I really want a Blue Ray player so a system without a DVD or blue ray is fine and I will just add a Blue ray seperately later.

So if I could get a receiver, speakers and a sub for $500 I would be happy.

Am I correct in saying that Onkyo seems to have some of the better HTIB? I also dont want to be limited with stuff like the HDMI pass through, does this really matter? Like I said I am new to all of this. 

I have considered putting together seperate components but it keeps becoming too expensive, even if I try to get a refurbished receiver.  But you have any good ideas for this approach please let me know.

I hate to spend $500 on something that is not worth it but I dont know what else to do.

I really need some guidance here, please help. Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   David Willow

David Willow

Screenwriter

• 2,071 posts
  • LocationMechanicsburg, PA

Posted February 26 2010 - 03:36 AM

Yes, the Onkyo's are better than most since they include a decent receiver.  The speakers are the real weak point with all in one packages.  IMO, it would be better to get a decent receiver and 2 speakers.  Add the center, surrounds, and sub later as you have the budget.

If you can go slighty above $500, you can get better speakers.  For example, you could get an Onkyo 507 for $300, 5 Fluance speakers for $300, and a Dayton sub for $200.  Perhaps get the receiver and speakers first and save up for a better sub later.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton

Screenwriter

• 2,981 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted February 26 2010 - 06:48 AM

If Blu-Ray is definitely in your future, you really shouldn't go any lower than the Onkyo 6200 system (currently about $550 at amazon.com).

The 6200 is HDMI 1.3 repeater (4 inputs) and supports the lossless audio codecs of Blu-Ray.  The HDMI repeater is important, as it allows you to hook up all your HDMI devices without the need for a separate audio cable.

Are you new to the Home Theater Forum? Stop by the New Member Introductions area and introduce yourself! See you there!